PDA

View Full Version : Rawlings set question - mid 1980's

dafivehole
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Typically when did the baseball teams change their sets from 1 to 2 during the season? I am referring to the Rawlings set tag on the front tail of jerseys in the mid '80's. Was it at the All Star break?!? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

kingjammy24
10-06-2008, 10:41 AM
roger

as i understand it, it wasn't the team that decided when a new set would be used. it was up to the individual player. some players ordered more than 2 sets. they were given their sets at the start of the season. if a player wanted to wear set 1, for example, for the first month and then wear his set 2 for the rest of the season he was free to do so. deciding what set to wear and when was entirely up to each player.

rudy.

dafivehole
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I see... well I guess I should be honest here... the reason I am asking is that there is a Set 1 Buckner 1987 road Red Sox jersey in the upcoming Mastro auction. The Rawlings script on the right sleeve is right near the bottom but there is a pic of Bill in this jersey on gettyimages.com and you can clearly see the Rawlings script much higher up on the sleeve. The pic is dated July 4th (he was released by the Sox later that month) so I was wondering if he switched over to a Set 2 jersey after the AS game... which would explain the Rawlings script variation! Just thinking aloud here :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Roger

kingjammy24
10-06-2008, 11:27 AM
yeah i've been caught in that little game too.. where i try to match up a jersey via photos and it doesn't match so i wonder when the player could've worn it. really it's impossible. a player could've worn his set 1 until late august and then switched over to his set 2 in september. beyond that, a player could've started the season wearing his set 2, played most of the season in his set 2, and then played the end of the season in his set 1. his set 2 jersey would therefore show much more wear than his set 1 and initially this would seem odd but i don't think players always necessarily think about set orders logically. they wear whatever they want, whenever they want. i once saw a legit 1991 devon white road jersey that was tagged as a set 1. it had absolutely no use at all on it. mint. white played in 156 games in 1991. if his set 1 was mint, what was he using for most of the season? set 2? set 3? only devon knows.

rudy.