Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Paypal Questions

As an occasional seller, I've always asked a buyer to use a check or MO for payment instead of paypal as I am not turned on by the fees and like cash in hand.

However, I deal with guys now and then that have apparent money problems, and if I don't use paypal just don't seem to pay at all or string things along for months on end. I guess as a last resort I am willing to accept it, but need to ask you guys what I should ask for as an extra to cover fees? For example: If I sell an item to someone for $100 and allow the guy to use paypal, how much more do I charge to cover the fees so I still end up with $100 in the end? 1%, 2%, 3%??

Thanks in advance from somebody that's Old School.

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com
  • 33bird
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Paypal Questions

An extra 3% should cover the fees.
    Greg

Comment

• TNTtoys
      • Aug 2006

Robert,

Be careful with this. I too looked to add a small percentage to cover fees when I started using paypal, and ebay began removing my listings. They told me that it was "against the rules" to charge extra for using paypal. They went on to say that I can "offer a break to those who pay by different means"

Yeah, what a racket...

So, I inflated my items' prices by a few percent and didn't charge the fees. I guess that's acceptable now?

Nick
      Looking for ...
      Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
      Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
      Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• whatupyos
        Banned
        • Dec 2005

That's a good question Bob. I have sold a few things and hate that I lose out a small percentage. Example: If you sell something for $100..you only get like $97 or something. I'd prefer the $100 net. When I'm a buyer, I'm more than happy to work with whomever is selling to make sure they're happy and I'm happy. I don't mind paying a little extra to cover their costs if they should so choose. Generally, I think 3% covers the paypal fees.

Aaron

Comment

• otismalibu
          • Nov 2005

I just had a buyer pay me $100 even today. My Paypal net was $96.80.

If you seriously need to have the buyer cover that cost, just bump up your listing price, reserve, etc. You'll get way more lookers taking Paypal and buyers can put it directly on their CC if they have no cash.

I hate when sellers on message boards list their price then say "add 4% if you use Paypal". They'd come off looking like much less of a miser if they simply stated a shipped price for the item, which factored in all the expenses they expect the buyer to cover.

$0.02
          Greg
          DrJStuff.com

Comment

• skyking26
            • Dec 2005

Thanks guys. Was not referring to ebay right now, just private transactions. One in the United Kingdom and another that I sell to direct. Have done many transactions with him; he is a good guy but has rotten luck with lost mails, etc. Collectings Charlie Brown. I thought I'd throw the paypal idea out there to him as another idea.

Bob
            ROBERT KOPPEL
            Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
              • Oct 2005

Accepting the fees is just part of doing business. I dont ask people to pay extra. What are we talking about $3?

Comment

• Tedw9
                • Jul 2007

This website has a handy tool to help you figure it out.

Comment

• skyking26
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
                  Accepting the fees is just part of doing business. I dont ask people to pay extra. What are we talking about $3?
                  I'm not a mover and a shaker, just a collector. I'm still back in dinosaur age doing transactions by check and credit card. I know guys that do $20,000 transactions and speak of huge fees, so I figured I ask some questions to educate myself. Sorry I am not as experienced as you...
                  ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by 33bird
                    An extra 3% should cover the fees.
                    Greg
                    Actually in the $200 transaction I just did, it was slightly over 4% in fees: $8.10. Alot of dough for a guy like me, but not so much for Vintage.
                    ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by skyking26
                      I'm not a mover and a shaker, just a collector. I'm still back in dinosaur age doing transactions by check and credit card. I know guys that do $20,000 transactions and speak of huge fees, so I figured I ask some questions to educate myself. Sorry I am not as experienced as you...
                      I'm not a mover and shaker either skyking. If fees are an issue for you, I believe that you can have a paypal account and pay very minimal fees.

The fact is that if you are selling anything on ebay, you are basically "in business" even if you are not running a real business. You are expected to conduct yourself in a businesslike manner. That means taking alternate forms of payment and doing what is necessary to complete the sale.

Comment

• skyking26
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
                        I'm not a mover and shaker either skyking. If fees are an issue for you, I believe that you can have a paypal account and pay very minimal fees.

The fact is that if you are selling anything on ebay, you are basically "in business" even if you are not running a real business. You are expected to conduct yourself in a businesslike manner. That means taking alternate forms of payment and doing what is necessary to complete the sale.
                        If you review my earlier post...I mentioned these were private transactions...not ebay.
                        ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• Skillz
                          • Jul 2008

ppcalc.com

That should help you out. Good luck!

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Tedw9
                            This website has a handy tool to help you figure it out.

http://ppcalc.com/
                            Wow, that's a really cool website. Whether it's eBay or a private sale, keep it simple by just adding a few bucks to your asking price.

Jim

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                              • Oct 2005

I still say that its not proper to ask someone to pay more because they are paying with paypal. Its the price of doing business these days. I agree with what cohiba said, just set a bit of a higher price to cover this. Paypal costs money to use but offers benefits that a personal check doesnt. Buyers and sellers feel comfortable with it.

To each his own.....

Comment

Working...