PDA

View Full Version : Signed Game Worn Jerseys....

kylehess10
03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
I know that a lot of people on here don't like signed game worn jerseys and sometimes anything signed and game used but why exactly? To me, I think getting something game used signed makes it more valuable. That's why 90% of my game used collection is signed.

Nathan
03-23-2006, 11:59 PM
The main reason is that it detracts from the on-field/on-ice condition of the item. With the exception of some NHL All-Star jerseys, virtually nothing on the field of play has been touched by ink, nor will it.

As far as making an item more valuable, that's a matter of personal opinion and preference. I'm one of many people who has passed on an otherwise great item due to the presence of ink on it. If I'm trying to find, say, a helmet from Tennessee's 98 championship team and do track one down, the last thing that I'd want would be 100+ signatures on it. Save the ink for the display items.

A good example is the helmets that players wear for the Senior Bowl and other postseason all-star games. Even though it's (in quite a few cases) been used the entire year, how many people want one with the original team decal missing off one side and a bunch of random other ones from other schools plastered all over it?

Nathan
03-24-2006, 12:24 AM
A quick addition (keep forgetting about the no edit feature)....

I hang around high-level athletes enough that any more, the idea of asking for an autograph is almost nauseating. There's a vast divergence between young kids asking their athletic idol for an autograph and grown men with a box full of baseballs pushing them toward a player without so much as a "Hi, Mr. So-and-so"; the first should get their stuff signed with a smile and a pat on the head, and the second should be beaten with their own shoes.

There's myriad problems with an autograph exchange, and it goes both ways. Players are tired of fans (and in some cases not even fans, but profit-seekers) who go to ridiculous lengths to see ink smeared on a cocktail napkin or an a card or on that box of baseballs. I remember sitting and chatting with a high-level and somewhat high-profile athlete (more a local fan favorite than a perennial all-star) over dinner and seeing him bothered repeatedly for an autograph. To his credit, he each time would put down his silverware, wipe his hands and mouth, and graciously sign, but it took about four times as long to eat a steak as any other time. I asked him if people ever would simply stop and shake his hand and say something like "I'm a big fan" or "I enjoyed watching you play" or "Good luck the rest of the way", and he said that it almost never happened.

As a result of things like this, more players feel a particular resentment toward fans for not simply allowing them to lead a normal life and do basic things like go shopping for groceries or watch a movie or have dinner. Heck, John Elway once said he'd give a million dollars to have just one day where he could be out in public without being recognized. And as a result of this perceived resentment, many fans also grow resentful of players who fans feel have an unyielding obligation to do whatever the fans feel like asking (telling) them to do. For an example, I saw one very polite and unassuming athlete get chewed out by a hound because the player was unable to sign. Why? Because he'd suffered a serious hand injury to his dominant hand that resulted in two fractures, a joint dislocation and fracture, and connective tissue injury. And, hard as it is to believe, some yahoo had the sack to give this guy an earful for not signing. It's all well and good to raise holy hell about "I pay your massive salary", but this guy was asking to get pounded (injured hand or not). That's like trashing a police station because "My tax dollars paid for this", or demanding police intervention for everything on the grounds of "I pay your salary".

I'm not writing all this to really hammer fans or throw the autograph idea in the figurative trashcan, but to remind everyone out there to use your head if you're looking to get something signed. A simple handshake and generic benedictions will usually go a lot farther than jamming an inanimate object in a stranger's face and waving a Sharpie. And whatever you do, if a guy isn't being bothered by the general public, don't do anything that would cause a crowd to form.

icollectDCsports
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
This issue has generated 3 or 4 threads on there in the past few months. Because I'm usually the designated naysayer on auto'd game worn jerseys, I'm glad Nathan has stated his opinion. I think autos on game worn jerseys are entirely unnecessary and almost always do nothing but detract from a jersey. A truly game worn jersey needs no further personalization. It's the cream of the crop of collectibles. It basically was part of the game itself. And I don't recall seeing players on the field, ice, or court wearing signed jerseys. I realize this is an issue that comes down to personal preference, but it's a big mistake for a collector or dealer to assume automatically that an auto makes a gamer more valuable in terms of the price they'd get if they plan to sell a jersey.

As has been discussed in previous threads, auto placement (if you must have it signed, sign it on the tail), size, personalization, and inscriptions are all variables that make autos more or less tolerable to me.

As for approaching players for autographs in everyday settings, I agree that this can get ugly and that it's often best for fans (adult fans, at least) just to leave players alone in other than game related or promotional settings. Nathan makes some good points on this, but plenty of autos on jerseys are obtained at card shows and from dealers who obtain the jerseys as they enter "the hobby."

skyking26
03-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Been in the hobby over 25 years now. Auto.'s are personal preference. As far as it being more valuable with a sig? I'd say yes if the sig can be varified by PSA or a reputable firm. 90% of my auto's were obtained in person. If I need a guy and cannot meet him, then the only way to obtain is a mail order situation. As far as on equipment, I think it inhances the item. I like an inscription so it is not so generic.

As far as approaching players in public, be courteous. If you come away with an auto, consider it a plus. If not, pay for it at a show, they owe you NOTHING off the field - that is their personal time.

suave1477
03-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Well I have put my input in the other same topic threads and I will add it to this one again.

I persoanlly like an autograph on a game used jersey or bat, i think it does add eye appeal. As long as the autograph is not dead smack in the middle of the jersey or is not some big gaudy autograph.

Does it add value? The answer is YES, depending on player. I will give you an example

Mickey Mantle of all the autographs he gave out he didnt autograph many jerseys, so they have become very high in demand, so imagine having a game used Micky Mantle jersey autographed. It would probably double the value of what you would normally get for it.

Imagine having an Autographed Babe Ruth game used Jersey or bat, that would probably double the value of the item.

Also remember this if you have an autographed game used jersey, You now have to hobby groups interested in that item 1 - Game Used Collectors 2 - Autograph Seekers , so i would think that would change the dynamic on that item as far as value bcuz now you have more people wanting it.

Just a Thought!!!

As far as getting autographs from a player i agree with what most people are saying here.

But that is not always the case There have been plenty of times i have been very nice and I have seen others be nice to the athlete and they or i just get blown off.

otismalibu
03-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Saw a post on another board a few years back. Guy had a Dr. J. ABA all-star jersey he was looking to sell. Rare piece. I've seen very few Erving ABA game jerseys. But not only did he have it signed, but it was personally signed to him. Out of my league either way, but still made me cringe.

To me, autos are about eye appeal. Is it easy to read? Is the signature too big? Too small? Is it covering something up? Does it show up against the background?

I often see signed basketballs where Spalding will be upside down if you display the auto right side up. And why do people get golf balls signed? Is there any way to get a nice signature on a golf ball?

Ok, I'm getting Andy Rooneyish.

Greg

suave1477
03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Also as far as the Athlete who crys about being hounded by autograph seekers well my hearts bleeds for you, hey everyone hear that its the worlds smallest violin.

Let me tell you something - An athlete knows fans are apart of the game no matter what. If you dont like it dont become an athlete. And YES THE FANS ARE PAYING YOUR SALARY ESPECIALLY IF ANYONE HERE HAS BOUGHT A TICKET FOR THE YANKEES ( DAM THERE EXPENSIVE ).

I am not saying this gives the fan a right to be a total jerk to the athlete, but it does mean the Athlete should take some time out to be courteous to his fans and sign some autographs.

I have seen plenty of athletes blow people off for autographs not bcuz anyone was being a jerk but just cuz they could careless to be othered and i think that is wrong

skyking26
03-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Regarding personalizations on game used stuff - or any item really: bare in mind that most collectors do not want an item if it says, To Larry - etc. In my opinion, a name personalization DE-values the item, makes it harder to move, unless maybe you are talking a huge name where the buyer could care less.

Thru the years I have had guys like Brady Anderson ask what my name was to sign a baseball in an attempt to devalue my item thinking I was selling it. In fact, my collection will be left to my 2 kids when I pass away. They will probably keep some items, with the remainder hitting auction houses. Anything with my name on it will be most impossible to move. So, sensing Anderson's attitude I simply plucked the ball from his hands, regardless with what he may have thought at the moment...

geoff
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Brady Anderson is a real jerk i met him a few times and he was rude to me.Once when i was a kid he yelled at me for asking for his autograph at an Orioles game because he was talking to someone.After that i was not a big fan of his at all.Thanks Geoff

flaco1801
03-24-2006, 04:44 PM
if i remember correctly barry halpern was looking for a babe ruth signed baseball with the inscription "to barry", dont know if he ever got one.

Nathan
03-24-2006, 08:49 PM
suave,

Like I said, it all comes down to courtesy, and courtesy is a two-way street. I don't believe that an athlete or coach has any reason to be rude to someone politely asking for an autograph, and I don't believe a fan has any reason to intrude on an athlete when there should be a reasonable expectation of privacy (like eating dinner or going out with their family).

Just because autograph demands are a regular part of an athlete's schedule doesn't lend any credence to the "Don't become an athlete if you can't handle it". The definition of a professional athlete is one who is athletically gifted enough to be paid money for his performance on the field of play. That doesn't mean wearing out his hand or wrist signing while the guy wants to go buy some Icy Hot from the local drugstore.

The funny thing is, I eat regularly (2-3 times a week) at a restaurant that is frequented by local professional athletes. They come in, talk to everyone in sight, tease the owner and the kitchen staff, and generally enjoy themselves (don't read into that too much; this place doesn't have a liquor license). The thing is, they're virtually guaranteed to not be bothered or treated like a celebrity. For any of them, it's a 40-minute drive to come up to a small farming town and have lunch, and the number of times they come back points toward enjoying the place. They do sign for people who ask, but in all honesty very few even recognize them.

kylehess10
03-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, personalization would be the only kind of autograph I WOULDN'T want on something game used. I've seen a few personalized game used bats on ebay and they look worthless to me.

suave1477
03-24-2006, 11:50 PM
suave,

Like I said, it all comes down to courtesy, and courtesy is a two-way street. I don't believe that an athlete or coach has any reason to be rude to someone politely asking for an autograph, and I don't believe a fan has any reason to intrude on an athlete when there should be a reasonable expectation of privacy (like eating dinner or going out with their family).

Just because autograph demands are a regular part of an athlete's schedule doesn't lend any credence to the "Don't become an athlete if you can't handle it". The definition of a professional athlete is one who is athletically gifted enough to be paid money for his performance on the field of play. That doesn't mean wearing out his hand or wrist signing while the guy wants to go buy some Icy Hot from the local drugstore.

The funny thing is, I eat regularly (2-3 times a week) at a restaurant that is frequented by local professional athletes. They come in, talk to everyone in sight, tease the owner and the kitchen staff, and generally enjoy themselves (don't read into that too much; this place doesn't have a liquor license). The thing is, they're virtually guaranteed to not be bothered or treated like a celebrity. For any of them, it's a 40-minute drive to come up to a small farming town and have lunch, and the number of times they come back points toward enjoying the place. They do sign for people who ask, but in all honesty very few even recognize them.

Nathan I agree with you that fans shouldnt bother a player a 100% of the time especially if he has to use the bathroom at the loacl mcdonalds, but i have seen a player say "i will sign a few auotgraphs but i really have to go" i find that commendable at least he took the time out to do some and didnt just blow everyone off. I am not saying he has to sign everyone in the worlds items but show support to your fans as they do to you. As far as the gifted athlete getting paid the high salary, uuuuum you seem to forget the reason he is getting paid that high salary is bcuz of the fans. His salary doesnt just pop out of thin air. The athlete gets paid by the owner of the team who gets his money from Ticket sales, Sodas, hot dogs, jerseys, souveniers and everything else that has the team name on it and who buys all that stuff the FANS. You also have the sneaker contracts and other equipment endorsements those companies pay the athletes high money and your reminded of that when YOU pay $150 or more for a pair of Michael Jordan sneakers or Ken Griffey Jr. sneakers.

So with out the FAN there is no High Paid Athlete gifted or not!!!