PDA

View Full Version : Question on Tino/Posada Model Bat

TFig27
10-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I know the bat is from 1999-2001. But, is there a year that they used this kind of labeling and not brand the bat?

Thanks for help,
Tom

TFig27@aol.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/tinoposada.jpg

Number9
10-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I realize this does not help any with this particular bat, but I always liked this card photo of Tino clearly using a Posada bat. Thought I would pass the photo on in case you haven't seen it.

Mike

TFig27
10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the pic. I actually have that card in my Tino reference file.

After doing some more research, I think I found an answer. Quoting Jeff, Birdbats, from another post:

"Looks like the bat has been double-dipped (called a "Smith" finish) or even triple-dipple in the clear finish. The finish fills in the stamping, making it look and feel almost smooth to the touch"

I think this is what this bat has.

BMH
10-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm actually a little confused by the question. From TF's answer I gather you are wondering why the bat doesn't have the "bumps" from branding?

Tino and Posada received what we called the epoxy finish. If you have ever seen our Composite wood bat, it's what is on the outside of the bat without the fiberglass. It was a really hard finish but we could not control the weight that it added to the bat. We stopped making it after Edgar and Tino retired.

metsbats
10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
BMH,

I thought the bats with the darken MLB logos appeared for the very first time during the 2nd half of the 2000 season?

If this is true this bat could not be from the 1999 season.

Thanks
David

TFig27
10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm actually a little confused by the question. From TF's answer I gather you are wondering why the bat doesn't have the "bumps" from branding?

Tino and Posada received what we called the epoxy finish. If you have ever seen our Composite wood bat, it's what is on the outside of the bat without the fiberglass. It was a really hard finish but we could not control the weight that it added to the bat. We stopped making it after Edgar and Tino retired.

Brian,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I was originally asking why when I rubbed my finger over the branding, why is it smooth, and I don't feel an indent.

Now, is the epoxy finish different than a bat being "double dipped"?

Also, they didn't have an epoxy finish on all their bats, correct?

Thanks
Tom

BMH
10-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh yeah, the epoxy finish was much thicker and harder than the Smith finish. The problem was we couldn't control how much epoxy would be soaked into the wood. So to get say 12 bats that weight 31oz we were usually making 18 bats and taking the closest to the correct weight, it was very wasteful. They did order bats without finish too.