PDA

View Full Version : What's written on the side of Big Papi's batting helmet?

metsbats
10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Big Papi has some signature with what looks like RIP written on the side of his batting helmet in silver.

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks
-David

allstarsplus
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
It's a name and under it is RIP :confused:

metsbats
10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/09/cook_at_fenway_clubhouse_dies_in_fall_from_parking _garage/

The Red Sox clubhouse cook died in an accident.

This is what it is. Sad unfortunate incident.

RIP Bernie.

-David

metsbats
10-10-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/09/cook_at_fenway_clubhouse_dies_in_fall_from_parking _garage/

The Red Sox clubhouse cook died in an accident.

This is what it is. Sad unfortunate incident.

RIP Bernie.

-David

Sorry guys I posts some old news. 2005!

Still an unfortunate event.

Sorry about that.

Watching the market bounce up and down like a yo-yo all week at work made me real tired.

allstarsplus
10-10-2008, 08:42 PM
The 1st letter of the 1st name is D and in the last name looks like a M.

The television camera focused in on it and I don't think they commented on it because they probably didn't have the story.

I would expect in the 4th inning when Papi comes to bat they will have the story.

allstarsplus
10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
New helmet or the writing is gone in the 6th inning.>????????

buc
10-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Could it have been for Charlie Manuel's mother?

joelsabi
10-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Could it have been for Charlie Manuel's mother?

his mom's name was June and someone mentioned different initials on the helmet.

metsbats
10-11-2008, 06:42 AM
In addition to inscribing "RIP BL" for Bernie Logue in 2004 on his helmet, Ortiz inscribed "RIP 45" on his helmet during the 2008 season as a tribute to Pedro Martinez's father.

I'm sure someone will uncover the answer to this latest tribute.

David

allstarsplus
10-11-2008, 09:04 AM
his mom's name was June and someone mentioned different initials on the helmet.

Here is my guess on this after I have looked at the TV screen many times. I think it was a tribute to Charlie Manuels mother and it said Doņa Manuel. Doņa is a nicer way to say Mrs. in Spanish. This is just a guess. The mystery writing was on Papi's helmet only for his 1st 2 at-bats and was not on there on his at-bat in the 6th inning.

It was so prominent on his helmet I was suprised theTBS broadcasters made no mention of it. :confused:

1st inning photo but the inscription was on the other side of the helmet.

joelsabi
10-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Here is my guess on this after I have looked at the TV screen many times. I think it was a tribute to Charlie Manuels mother and it said Doņa Manuel. Doņa is a nicer way to say Mrs. in Spanish. This is just a guess. The mystery writing was on Papi's helmet only for his 1st 2 at-bats and was not on there on his at-bat in the 6th inning.

It was so prominent on his helmet I was suprised theTBS broadcasters made no mention of it. :confused:

1st inning photo but the inscription was on the other side of the helmet.

Make sense to me. Was is initials or the entire word? If it says Dona then this is true.

allstarsplus
10-11-2008, 11:04 AM
It was 2 words written out than RIP below it. He wrote it out in fancy script and the first word looked like Doņa and the 2nd word looked like it started with an M and I couldn't make out the rest so again just a guess.

My guess is he heard about Charlie Manuel's mother passing and didn't know her first name hence the Doņa Manuel.