PDA

View Full Version : Grass from the 1986 Mets Pennant game

ckesten
10-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Hello,

I have grass from the game the Mets won the pennant in 1986. Does anyone know if it is possible to get this authenticated somewhere?

Not sure how this is possible, I guess they could match it with chemicals used on the field at the time or something..I really have no idea...

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks a lot

ckesten
10-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Also, does anyone else have this as well? Is there an approximate value to this grass?

thanks again

jwasserman
10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
where did you get the grass from? (insert joke about dwight gooden's locker)

ive got a bottle of champagne from the nlcs celebration that would go nicely

ckesten
10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
That bottle is excellent... how did you get that?

My father ran onto the field when they won (when it was allowed)

Its still in the plastic bag that it was put into that day... should probably put it into something better ...any ideas for better storage?

I'd really like some grass/dirt from last game at shea..

commando
10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
A detailed letter signed by your dad would be helpful (who, what, where, when, how). If he still has his ticket stub from the game, it would also be a good companion with the grass.

There are older collectibles is this hobby that are simply not traceable, so provenance means everything. Older homerun/foul balls fall into this category. Sure, you can see it is an official ball with a certain commissioner on it, as well as types of bat marks that may be on it, but in the end provenance is most important.

David
10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
If there was a way to know what kind/type of grass was used in the stadium, you could probably find grass experts who could write a note that it it was the same kind of grass. I'm sure there are people who can identify grasses, whether they are botanists or landscape architects. A million dollar stadium might uses types of grass not used for normal yards and playgrounds.

ckesten
10-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Thats a good point about it maybe being grass that isn't typically used.

I'm not looking to sell it or anything, was just curious. I don't believe we have the stub from that game... although I still have Game 6 ticket stub from that year... this and the grass are probably my two favorite pieces.

metsbats
10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
where did you get the grass from? (insert joke about dwight gooden's locker)

ive got a bottle of champagne from the nlcs celebration that would go nicely

I have some white powder from along the left field foul line from that game. We all should all get together and we can have ourselves one heck of a memorabilia display or party:D

ckesten
10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I think there should be a forum just for mets memorabila

metsbats
10-12-2008, 04:25 PM
But seriously...

Along with the letter from your Dad and a ticket stub perhaps he may have photogaphs from that game particularily of the end when the fans stormed the field.

The 1986 box set has the last inning of that game included as bonus footage. It's a long shot but if your Dad were fortunate enough to be caught on camera after the last out that would be a good piece of incriminating evidence.

I remember that game Gooden pitched and they were playing the Cubs. Days before this inevitable celebration Mets GM Frank Cashen pleaded with Met fans not to go on the field after the last out so they can keep the field in good shape for the post season. Back in those days they didn't have the police or security presence on the field after the games that they do now.

David

jwasserman
10-12-2008, 05:15 PM
ebay. the seller had it listed as signed champagne bottle signed by gooden and strawberry. after the auction i asked the seller where he got it and he replied "it was given to me after the 1986 nlcs celebration by a good friend of mine who is the son of the late Bob Murphy the original voice of the NY Mets". one of my better purchases

That bottle is excellent... how did you get that?

My father ran onto the field when they won (when it was allowed)

Its still in the plastic bag that it was put into that day... should probably put it into something better ...any ideas for better storage?

I'd really like some grass/dirt from last game at shea..

yanks12025
10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Can we have a photo of the grass.

ckesten
10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Its at my parents house (5 mins away) next time im there ill definitely take a picture... it just looks like nasty dirt...all brown and stiff....

ckesten
10-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Here a the pictures... not that great of a look though....

I'm sure there are better storing options.. its been in the same bag since 86