PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

beantown
10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I recently sold this jersey on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330276221199&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=014

I thought I was 100% clear and accurate in the description....

Buyer's eBay ID is "airmassie45"...he received the jersey and sends me this email...

hi..... the sleeves are not long like stated in your auction....... also the jersey is liman cut and not qb cut..... i have returned the jersey and i want a full refund.... thanks
- airmassie45

Again, I think I was pretty clear in the description and yes, the jersey is the right Manning QB cut...Moreover, he did not ask one question during the auctions listing and the auction clearly states that ALL SALES FINAL...

So, what would you do?

-Chris

mvandor
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Photos are excellent and clear, buyer is trying to get out, buyers' remorse would be my guess.

I'd politely stand my ground.

If he paid by Paypal, be sure you flush your account so they don't freeze it if he files a complaint.

commando
10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
If the buyer paid thru Paypal, he will request a refund because the item was not as described. I seriously doubt a Paypal rep will know the first thing about jerseys, and will probably just side with the buyer.

In my opinion, I'd give him a refund after the jersey arrived back to me safe and sound, and resell it to someone else.

helmets
10-15-2008, 08:18 PM
"Flush" the account? I guess I don't know what that means. If you mean withdraw all of your funds, you are still responsible on a chargeback to the buyer if they find in his favor. I agree with Commando. Refund the money less the ebay listing and selling fees and the shipping cost. Do it before he files a claim or dispute, because Paypal will refund the entire amount.

beantown
10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Should I have to go through that hassle when IMO I did nothing wrong? Moreover, I feel I'm being told to do something instead of being politely asked...

skyking26
10-15-2008, 09:14 PM
The bad part about ebay and paypal now besides the fees is that they always side with the buyer. You are in a no-win situation and the buyer knows it. If he files a complaint he could have paypal freeze your acct all together if he gets pissy enough. Sad thing is he holds all the cards. Refund him and walk away.

Lokee
10-15-2008, 11:07 PM
refund him or paypal will refund him. Either way the guy will get his money back.

I was looking at this the other day. Ebay has this box that you can check under Return Policy you can either accept returns or not accept returns. If you do not accept returns under that option is this and i quote "Sellers may be required to accept a return if eBay determines that the item is significantly different from what was described in the listing." So why even give the option right ?

You cannot win with paypal in a dispute if you are the seller. I shouldn;t say you can't win but it is very slim.

Also notice how on ebay right on the right under meet seller in big bold letters BUY SAFELY the auction it says BUYERS PROTECTED up to 2,000 or whatever the amount. Click the link and tell me it is not just openeing a whole can of worms for crooked people.

You can bat and switch (not condoned by the way) and still get your money back. So many loop holes and such little time.

Anyways I would refund the buyer add him to your blocked list and re-list that jersey as you should have NO PROBLEM getting that again if not more for it.

Vintagedeputy
10-16-2008, 12:58 AM
I'd tell him to go pound salt!

That's just how big my baseballs are! :)

mvandor
10-16-2008, 07:40 AM
I'd tell him to go pound salt!

That's just how big my baseballs are! :)
Glad to see someone else has principles.

Jags Fan Dan
10-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with those that say stand your ground. I don't see the buyer's complaints as valid. And if he files a paypal dispute, you get to voice your side. My whole argument, if I were you, would be that he received the jersey as shown in the photos in the auction. What does "All sales final" mean? It means no refunds.

flaco1801
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
i dont collect football but i wonder how anyone would know that manning jersey was not game worn.... how do u tell the differance between game cut and game worn? thanks, jeff

trsent
10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I do not believe "All sales will be final" is a binding eBay policy. I understand the concept of the policy, but it is hidden at the bottom of the page in the Seller's payment instructions. I also believe eBay doesn't allow for such a policy, but I could be wrong.

I know the seller is right, but eBay and PayPal make it tough to win this battle. If the buyer disputes the PayPal charge, they freeze the money from your PayPal account until settled. Even if you win, if the buyer returns the item (with proof of delivery) they really will not have to be out the money since you have their item.

Your situation is unfortunate and insane but it may not be worth your trouble in the long run. Besides, your perfect feedback is important to keep also.

jppopma
10-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Joel is right about the feedback concerns. Especially if this seller writes something about it being fake or otherwise misrepresented. That could cause other bidders to shy away from future auctions. This may cost you more in the long run with other items each selling for less than they normally would.

On the other side, there is the principle of it all. I'd say stand your ground and make this guy pay...but in the end, you must pick what battles you chose to fght.

3arod13
10-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Unless they buyer can prove the seller has done wrong or was not accurate in their desciption, how can they demand their money back.

Yes, I do know (as many of you stated) what the end result will be with paypal. However, sellers need just as much protection as buyers.

I guess it's the same as "the customer is alway right."

Sad situation.

Regards, Tony

beantown
10-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Yep, the buyer got a refund through Pay Pal and then left negative feed back!

I did nothing wrong in my auction listing and I have to go through this hassle, while Pay Pal and eBay side with the buyer...moreover, I have no recourse!!!

I firmly believe there are individuals on eBay that are just out to waste peoples time and this is one of them...stay away from him as if you look at his feedback, he has done this before!! :mad:

Jags Fan Dan
10-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Yep, the buyer got a refund through Pay Pal and then left negative feed back!

I did nothing wrong in my auction listing and I have to go through this hassle, while Pay Pal and eBay side with the buyer...moreover, I have no recourse!!!

I firmly believe there are individuals on eBay that are just out to waste peoples time and this is one of them...stay away from him as if you look at his feedback, he has done this before!! :mad:
That really bites! What was the logic or explanation that paypal used when they ruled in his favor? Were you given a chance to plead your case?

Neely8
10-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I hope you got the jersey back!

beantown
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
That really bites! What was the logic or explanation that paypal used when they ruled in his favor? Were you given a chance to plead your case?

Yes, it does! Pay Pal offered no explanation...the buyer offered his claim (lineman cut sleeves!) and I offered mine, but it obviously didn't mean anything to them! I got the jersey back, the buyer wouldn't complete the final value fee credit through eBay (I later got that refunded) and he leaves me negative feedback???