PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide.

sacker12
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Guys,

I am trying to replicate a helmet that my school wore in the 1980's when they won two D-II National Championships. We wore cardinal helmets with white facemasks.

I have found two helmets online that I am interested in getting: a NWT scarlet red Riddell WD-1 and a mildly shop-worn cardinal Schutt Pro Air II (with the smaller air holes on top). On one hand, the Riddell would be an accurate model, but I would have to get it repainted cardinal. On the other hand, it would be cheaper to get the Schutt helmet, since it is similar to the Bike Air helmets that were worn in the 1980's, with the exception of some differences in padding. Also, I could just get my brother to buff the helmet to get it looking like new. Also, I could always find a way to get the Bike logo on the bumper.

Which option do you think is the best option? Thanks.

sacker12
10-15-2008, 09:38 PM
One more thing. The Riddell helmet is a 7 5/8. Which type of retro Schutt mask will I need: red-dot or green-dot? He is offering to sell me a mask for $20. It is brand-new and unused. It is grey, but it isn't going to be too much to get it recolored ($12 w/clips by Helmet Hut).

But, if I get the Schutt, I will get the current Schutt OPO mask. Plus, the helmet in the 1980's had center stripes. The decals I have include the separate stripes, which are easier to put on the Riddell helmet due to the ridge.

Again, thanks.