PDA

View Full Version : Selling Strategy

dcgreg25
10-16-2008, 01:25 PM
When it comes time to finally part with an item in your collection- I am always curious as to different people's strategies.

I have sold my share of GU and autographed over the years but have a unique item I am considering selling. It is an Autographed All Star Game Basketball from a specific year that is signed by about twenty players and has a NBA COA. My question in considering selling it is if I am better off selling it on ebay or consigning it to an auction house for this type of item?

My experience has been that bigger ticket GU items tend to be worth consigning to an auction house, mid-level items tend to do equally well on ebay or auction houses and ebay is perfect for lower price GU items.

Having not sold many autographed items that were not GU I am trying to figure out the best strategy. It seems that modern autographed (not GU) items tend to be burried in auctions by the traditional auction houses. Maybe I feel that way because I am not usually seeking them out but others actively go there to find them.

Additionally, these items are sometimes overlooked by buyers looking for specific players, teams, etc on ebay. Anybody had any particular success or strategies in selling All Star items with multiple players on them?

Have any of you noticed better results on ebay for signed items with great provenance or better to consign to a bigger auction house on an item like this? I am starting to do some research on closed auctions to see what I can find. As always, I appreciate your thoughts and input. Thanks!

ahuff
10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
I have found the auction houses seem to be the best for autographs, big ticket items, or flat out unique items.

worldchamps
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
What year is it, and how much are you looking for?
Bill

rangersstars@yahoo.com