PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Damon Game-Used Jersey?

mwbosoxfan
03-25-2006, 04:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Damon-Game-Used-2004-Boston-Red-Sox-Authentic-Jersey_W0QQitemZ8777260118QQcategoryZ24889QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm seeking an opinion from all of you jersey experts. I am somewhat interested, but can't imagine anything Johnny Damon game used from 2004 would be listed for $389. I know absolutely nothing about jerseys and uniforms, so I am asking for any opinions that anyone may have. Thanks.

hblakewolf
03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I have had several 2004 Russell jerseys, and all had the "New" tag used only in 2004. This particular Damon has the pre-2004 tag, howver, is offered as a 2004..

See the link from a previous post.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1050&highlight=russell+primer

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

mwbosoxfan
03-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I have had several 2004 Russell jerseys, and all had the "New" tag used only in 2004. This particular Damon has the pre-2004 tag, howver, is offered as a 2004..

See the link from a previous post.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1050&highlight=russell+primer

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard - Thanks for your response and the link you provided. Not to be totally ignorant (I did read the entire thread), but in your opinion, would you say that this was probably at least a game issued jersey from a previous year carried over to 2004? Or, a possible fake, because of the mis-match, or just hard to tell?

hblakewolf
03-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Howard - Thanks for your response and the link you provided. Not to be totally ignorant (I did read the entire thread), but in your opinion, would you say that this was probably at least a game issued jersey from a previous year carried over to 2004? Or, a possible fake, because of the mis-match, or just hard to tell?

It is not a team issued jersey carried over, as it is tagged 2004 and the RedSox wore Majestic in 2005.

I have seen quite a few 2004 RedSox 2004's, none having this older style tagging.

You will need to solicit the advice from a RedSox expert on this one. No doubt there are quite a few who read and contribute to this site on a regular basis.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
03-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Howard, sorry but you are wrong. I have handled many 2004 Russell jerseys that have had the pre-2004 Russell tag. For what I have seen it is about 50/50. 50% 2004 Russell jerseys with the pre-2004 manufacturers tag and 50% with the 2004 Russell manufacturers tag. The jersey in question looks ok to me, but I believe the same seller may have been selling similar jerseys as game-issued a few months ago.

seven4five20
03-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I've handled a bunch of Sox gamers from the 04 season. The only ones I've seen with the newer tagging are Orlando Cabrera (mid season trade, I'm sure everyone knows about), and Abe Alvarez, who only played one game in the bigs, the second game of a double header against the Orioles in July. But, I'm not so sure about the seller in question. He has had several "gamers" that show no use at all. I even bought a Roberto Alomar Indians jersey from him that was advertised as game used, and it was brand new.

hblakewolf
03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Howard, sorry but you are wrong. I have handled many 2004 Russell jerseys that have had the pre-2004 Russell tag. For what I have seen it is about 50/50. 50% 2004 Russell jerseys with the pre-2004 manufacturers tag and 50% with the 2004 Russell manufacturers tag. The jersey in question looks ok to me, but I believe the same seller may have been selling similar jerseys as game-issued a few months ago.

Joel-
I'm a bit taken back by your statement, "Howard, sorry but you are wrong".

How could I be wrong with what I posted, "I have seen quite a few 2004 RedSox 2004's, none having this older style tagging.

You will need to solicit the advice from a RedSox expert on this one. No doubt there are quite a few who read and contribute to this site on a regular basis"

Joel, the Red Sox 2004 jerseys I have seen that came directly from the team had the newer tag. How can "this be wrong"?

I think you better reexamine what I posted before making baseless statements about me.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@ptmedia.net

trsent
03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Howard, don't take it personally, chill out, you made a statement that was wrong, as I have seen both style tags right out of the locker room.

I can't believe you are offended because I stated that you were wrong, chill out man, I am so tired of the people on this forum taking everything personally and always posting like they are the know alls of the industry.

It is a discussion, not a pissing contest.

Did anyone read the post of Dave Grob's that I posted a few days ago?

suave1477
03-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Trsent i am sorry i have to back up Howard on this one. Trsent did you even read what he wrote. I am curious myself how you think hes wrong? Trsent you say your tired of people crying about taking things personally thats bcuz you dont read or think before you speak.

All he said was from the jersey he saw. He never said that it is a fact that all the jerseys of the red sox in the world of 2004 have this particular tagging, he just said what he saw, and follow up with its better to ask a boston red sox expert.

How can you say hes wrong of what hes seen, do you wake up with Howard every morning and know what he looks at everyday?

If you do, do you spy on me too. Let me know cuz im calling my neighborhood police watch on you!!!!:D

Trsent dont take this personal but sometimes you really dont know what your saying!!!

trsent
03-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I deleted my post before posting it.

Too many swear words.

I stand behind my previous comments, and Jason, don't you EVER MAKE ASSUMPTIONS OR COMMENTS ABOUT WHO I WAKE UP BESIDE - It is out of line.

I feel Howard was wrong because he states that he has only seen one variation - I have seen both. Boo hoo if Howard didn't like that I said he is wrong, I wasn't trying to attack him over the internet.

seven4five20
03-26-2006, 10:07 PM
mwbosoxfan, if you are interested in a Johnny Damon 04 gamer email at yankzsuck@comcast.net

suave1477
03-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Trsent on that note if i go further with this thread it will not be nice. All I am going to say is instead of educating him and letting him know there is more then one tagging you tell him what he sees is wrong? I always praise you on your knowledge Trsent you just lack a better way of tellig people.

You don't have to take back your comments I understand it would hurt your pride to admit your wrong as long as you know!!!!

bigtime59
03-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I won't go into the arcana of Russell 2004 tagging here, but I will say that the year tagging on this piece looks awfully fresh for a game worn piece.
I'd stay away because:
It's a "star" jersey...fakes abound.
It's a last year of the contract Russell...lots of blanks got sold off, and some are re-appearing as "game used."
I have doubts about this sellers items, in general.

BTW: Joel, not to touch on yet another sensitive subject, but how do you manage to get all superstars, all the time? I've got some fairly decent Orioles contacts, and can't get jack out of them.
Mark
bigtime59

mwbosoxfan
03-27-2006, 12:25 PM
I appreciate everyone's responses as they have given me "food for thought", and some other contacts to possibly pursue a better authenticated jersey. Thanks again.

trsent
03-27-2006, 02:09 PM
BTW: Joel, not to touch on yet another sensitive subject, but how do you manage to get all superstars, all the time? I've got some fairly decent Orioles contacts, and can't get jack out of them.

Mark, Thanks for asking. Some of the stuff that I have sold is from my personal collection, other things are from customers that I have acquired in the last 20 years in the business. They will either sell it to me or consign it to me to sell for them on eBay. Some stuff I have purchased from other dealers recently. The things I sell on eBay is a small percentage of what I actually have or have sold through the years. I have had many common and semi-star jerseys in the past, let me know who you are looking for and maybe I can help you out.

trsent
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Also, I had a personal problem yesterday with my family causing drama and I will now publicly apologize to Howard Wolf and Jason Edelman for any comments that I made yesterday that were insulting to them.

I didn't mean to cause harm. I got in one of those moods where I called people who needed a lecture and blew off steam with them (all outside the forum) because a member of my family decided to ruin my day.

Howard, I misworded my original post and I took your reply the wrong way. No big deal, please forgive me.

Jason, do I have to trade you in fantasy baseball to receive your forgiveness?

suave1477
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Trsent no big deal i dont get all torn up inside its all good with me I still consider you a good source of knowledge of this hobby. Hey we all have our days.

Thats why we have JELLO, Jello makes everything better. lol lol :D

Trsent no harm done!!!

hblakewolf
03-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Also, I had a personal problem yesterday with my family causing drama and I will now publicly apologize to Howard Wolf and Jason Edelman for any comments that I made yesterday that were insulting to them.

I didn't mean to cause harm. I got in one of those moods where I called people who needed a lecture and blew off steam with them (all outside the forum) because a member of my family decided to ruin my day.

Howard, I misworded my original post and I took your reply the wrong way. No big deal, please forgive me.

Jason, do I have to trade you in fantasy baseball to receive your forgiveness?

Joel-
Not an issue!592

All I ask of you now is a small favor.....

If I bring the family to Vegas, can you pull some strings to get my girls up front during the pirate fight at the Treasure Island? Photo attached-how can you say no to these two!!!!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Do they still have the pirate fight at TI? I thought it is something new now, but I will check.

I believe to get the best viewing, you need a hotel room key. Funny, I carry two Bellagio room keys (two towers), a Palms room key and a Mandalay Bay room key. All are for when valet parking is full or to get into the elevators at the hotels.

I can see if I can get a TI key for you if you are not staying there.

Be sure to take them to the midways at Excalibur and Circus Circus.

suave1477
03-27-2006, 03:41 PM
:D Howard I dont know about those 2?

KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE BATSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
NO NOT THE BATS, THOSE 2 ARE DANGEROUS I HEARD ABOUT THEM ON CHANNEL 7 NEWS YESTERDAY "THE GAME USED BAT BANDITS" AND THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE CASING YOURS LOL LOL LOL:D