Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Cracked & Repaired vs. Natural

I know many collectors have differences of opinions about wanting a cracked bat that has been repaired.

I have found many really nice game used bats, but once I know they have been repaired, I'm not interested.

I would prefer a bat that has been cracked during use, to remain that way.

Your thoughs?
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Re: Cracked & Repaired vs. Natural

Hey Tony: See it both ways myself. I've been collecting game used bats since the late 80's. I have always shyed away from cracked bats as I want to be able to pull my bats from the rack and if I want to take a practice cut not be concerned about the bat. Just a personal thing with me. The only way I'd buy a cracked bat is if I needed that model or type and felt the chances were slim in finding it again, and the price were right. I feel a premium should be commanded for uncracked, that's just me.

Now, there have been times I've bought handle cracked bats, and being a carpenter I've glue and clamped it - and asthetically it looks better even though you can still see it is cracked.

Bob
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
      • Sep 2007

I like them repaired -

BUT, only if the repair is done well. I will buy a cracked bat so that I can make a project out of it...I actually will shy away from a bat that is shattered.

For asthetics, repaired bats look better (to me) in a display, and they are easier to move when it's time to change things around. Not to mention, I have a boy in the house now who is curious. The wife is also not as careful as I am when touching my bats.
      Dave
      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
      River City Redbird Authentics
      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

I guess I just can't get past that the bat has been altered after use. I agree that repaired it looks better. But I just can't get past it being repaired after the fact.
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
          • Oct 2005

My choices:

1) a well used uncracked bat
          2) a slightly cracked bat that remains steadily in one piece
          3) a destroyed bat that I can display with a photo match showing its demise

Comment

• skyking26
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by 3arod13
            I guess I just can't get past that the bat has been altered after use. I agree that repaired it looks better. But I just can't get past it being repaired after the fact.
            Even in an uncracked bat situation, once the bat has changed hands umteen times, who knows what has actually been done to the bat? I agree with Bigtruck.

I have talked to guys who buy GU jerseys and wear them around to games and such. Can you believe it? You just don't know...
            ROBERT KOPPEL
            Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
            and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
              My choices:

1) a well used uncracked bat
              2) a slightly cracked bat that remains steadily in one piece
              3) a destroyed bat that I can display with a photo match showing its demise
              Jim - I like your order but would take a light use bat if it had all player characteristics!

I don't like repaired bats unless it was broken into 2 pieces and the break was clean enough that it can be put back together. I would also expect the seller to disclose that it was repaired. Nothing worse than being told a bat is uncracked to see a repaired seam hidden under pine tar.
              Regards,
              Andrew Lang
              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
              202-716-8500

Comment

• whatupyos
                Banned
                • Dec 2005

I don't like repaired bats myself and agree with how Tony feels. I know others like repaired bats and I can appreciate their reasons as well, but my own personal preference is a bat, either uncracked or cracked that has not been altered. Just like jerseys, I prefer jerseys that have not been worn by anyone else other than the player themselves.

Comment

• BULBUS
                  • Nov 2005

I prefer a cracked bat myself. Many players have stated that they used a bat until it cracked. Paul O'Neill is an example. I wouldnt buy one of his bats unless it is cracked. Sure there are excemptions, bats were stolen, but I just cant trust a bat that isn't cracked.

I know todays players will use a bat for a couple at bats, then sell them uncracked, but I don't collect bats from todays palyers. There is just too much out there to have a unique peice.
                  Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                  sigpic
                  donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by BULBUS
                    I know todays players will use a bat for a couple at bats, then sell them uncracked, but I don't collect bats from todays palyers. There is just too much out there to have a unique peice.
                    I agree 100%
                    Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                      • Apr 2007

I like cracked bats or bats with a lot of dead wood on the barrel because those characteristics answer a big question in my mind: "Why did the player stop using it?" To me, a lightly used bat leaves me to wonder where it came from more so than a cracked or heavily used bat.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by allstarsplus
                        Jim - I like your order but would take a light use bat if it had all player characteristics!

I don't like repaired bats unless it was broken into 2 pieces and the break was clean enough that it can be put back together. I would also expect the seller to disclose that it was repaired. Nothing worse than being told a bat is uncracked to see a repaired seam hidden under pine tar.
                        Agreed. That should be in the mix somewhere as well.

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan
                          I like cracked bats or bats with a lot of dead wood on the barrel because those characteristics answer a big question in my mind: "Why did the player stop using it?" To me, a lightly used bat leaves me to wonder where it came from more so than a cracked or heavily used bat.
                          similar. my question is on heavily used arod bat. why did he stop using it.
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• scottanservitz
                            • Nov 2005

I collect both cracked and uncracked. I bought a severely cracked bat and just didn't like how it looked sitting at about a 45 degree angle. I repaired it the best I could and I like it better. My best bats are both slightly cracked and repaired and I have to admit, I like them that way only because it adds to the authenticity and the cracks are very hard to find anyways. I guess it depends on the collector. But I am really not a non-cracked or cracked bat guy specifically. It just depends if I want the bat or not as it is.
                            Scott

Comment

• kylehess10
                              • Feb 2006

I love BROKEN bats and broken bats only. They have a better look and eye appeal in my opinion and they are photomatched easily. I currently have 6 photomatched broken bats and they are basically the highlights of my collection. Plus once bats break, they get the MLB Holo so that's pretty good when it comes to authenticity.
                              kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
                              http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

Working...