PDA

View Full Version : Jose Canseco A&E show - your thoughts?

stlbats
10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
How many watched Canseco on A&E last night. I thought it was pretty interesting. Canseco seemed a different person. He talked a lot about his career and his steroid use. Says he is done with steriods and was sorry for writing the book and calling out his teammates. Wished he could tell them so. Also showed him at an Independant League game being very nice to people and signing some autographs. Not that he was not ever nice, I have never met him, but I just dont picture him the way he was on the show.

What are your thoughts if you saw the show?

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

skyking26
10-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I met him at a show appearance a few years back here in MI. He was stoned outta his mind. Eyes bloodshot, confused. He got lost on the way to the bathroom and it took personnel awhile to find him. Show said they made no $$ on his signing because of lack of interest and they would not have him back. For his part though - he was nice to people.

The show portrayed a guy that had been bad to his own body, and then took his blackballing from MLB out on his teammates which makes him more villified. He has made his bed, and now must be content in it alone. He has nothing. I will give him credit for being humble enough to say he was sorry and that he has made many mistakes...

nomarmauerfan
10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I met Jose in 1987 at the Baseball Card Shoppe in Fishkill, NY. He was on a small plane and got off at the wrong stop (Danbury, CT). The owner had to go and get him. Most of the people didn't want to wait b/c it would take about 3 hours and just left their stuff for him to sign. My grandmother and I waited. When he showed up, he was the nicest person. He spoke with us for more than 30 minutes from his stats to Mickey Mantle (always my Grandmother's favorite baseball subject). He was so great before everything happened...so nice and quiet. I choose to remember him that day vs. how things turned out. Its too bad really.

Mike

skyking26
10-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree. Maybe in time he can make amends with some of the guys he took down...

whatupyos
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I watched it too. I thought it was interesting that he regrets writing the book. Its too bad he didn't think beforehand. I understand that he was so mad that he didn't care what MLB thought and wanted to get back at MLB but one must think ahead at what you're doing. I wouldn't want to be known as a snitch. It doesn't bother me that a bunch of people did steroids. Its not a good part of the game, but lets all move on and make changes so it doesnt happen again. It doesn't bother me that Jose juiced. What bothers me is how he ran his mouth and threw others under the bus. He could have done it just talking about himself. Instead he goes and name drops which is less than honorable in my opinion. Talk about what you did, but leave others out of it.

The funny thing I kept thinking of is his pity me attitude. For instance, he goes, look at what I did for them (meaning the Long Beach team) I donated $10,000.00 to their clubhouse, I sold out the place, blah, blah, blah. Who cares, the fact is, you broke a contract. Thats why they served you with a lawsuit. Thats what happens. I'm pretty sure he signed the contract himself, and knew what was stipulated in there. So its his bad if he leaves, he has to suffer the consequences. The other funny thing is how they said in the documentary that Jose believes roids are ok to use in professional sports. I was like WTF? If they're good to use, why do you have way less testosterone than the normal guy? 25 years of abuse is like pay me now or pay me later, sooner or later it will catch up with you. I don't like to see anyone in the dumps like he is, but he did it to himself so its hard to feel sorry for him. Like Bob said, he made his bed, he has to lie in it.

David
10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Jose has never come across as terribly bright-- some would call him a ding bat. As with many athletes, he wants attention and money, which has caused him to do dumb things. However, autograph collectors have long said he's one of the best signers-- professional and friendly to the fans.

panthrotc
10-21-2008, 10:19 PM
You will not get once of sympathy from me. He was a primadona to me when i was 6 years, 7, 8, 9, etc. Everytime i went to Yankee Stadium in the mid 90's Canseco acted like the fans didnt exist. He was always sporting the " Leave Me Alone Shirt" that was pictured on his 90 upper deck card. He gets everything he deserves. You do not sell out peoples names to make money just because you got yourself kicked out of Baseball. When you bragg to people that you use steroids of course its bad buisness with a club. Yea he is sorry he wrote the book, no he's not. He is sorry he is still broke. What did McGwire, and everyone else do to him that would make him make their lives hell. He is a jealous bastard. Jose when playing was only out for himself. I hope he rots in his lonely world. Karma Jose, Karma is indeed a bitch. O yea and all those years he ignored the fans from my expeirience, 1 guy always took time to sign for me, my favorite player of all time....Mark David McGwire

whatupyos
10-21-2008, 10:38 PM
You will not get once of sympathy from me. He was a primadona to me when i was 6 years, 7, 8, 9, etc. Everytime i went to Yankee Stadium in the mid 90's Canseco acted like the fans didnt exist. He was always sporting the " Leave Me Alone Shirt" that was pictured on his 90 upper deck card. He gets everything he deserves. You do not sell out peoples names to make money just because you got yourself kicked out of Baseball. When you bragg to people that you use steroids of course its bad buisness with a club. Yea he is sorry he wrote the book, no he's not. He is sorry he is still broke. What did McGwire, and everyone else do to him that would make him make their lives hell. He is a jealous bastard. Jose when playing was only out for himself. I hope he rots in his lonely world. Karma Jose, Karma is indeed a bitch. O yea and all those years he ignored the fans from my expeirience, 1 guy always took time to sign for me, my favorite player of all time....Mark David McGwire

I agree with you there my friend! I'm a huge McGwire fan as well and I live near Oakland. I can mimic what you said, Mark always took time out for his fans. When I was 10-15 years old he'd always sign after games. My dad and I would go to the gate near the players parking lot. He was automatic every game we were there. You didn't have to call him over, he'd just turn and sign the whole row of fense...usually about 25-30 autographs. Fans on the overhead tunnel leading to the BART station would applaud him for signing and he'd always look up and wave or give them the thumbs up to acknowledge them. I got roughly 20+ autographs from him growing up. Toward the end of his A's tenure when he was injured with the plantar fasciatis I didn't see him much after games but I enjoyed his signing while it lasted. He is a truly humble and gracious man, unlike his co-bash brother. I know there are stories out there where I've heard people bad mouth Big Mac, but he was always kind to me. I even met him in the mall one winter. I was in 7th grade and he was at Copelands trying out golf clubs. His brother, Jay worked in the weight lifting department and I got to talk to Mark for a bid. It was a kick. I wish I had a camera to get my photo with him, so I'm jealous that you have two pictures with him....lucky sob...haha.

OaklandAsFan
10-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I am with Panth on this one. I was at every weekend home game for the Athletics from 1986-1990 and I got maybe a half dozen Jose Canseco autographs in that time (heck I got more graphs from Reggie in one season than all those years with Jose) I had more McGwire autographs than I could count though and after almost every weekend home game he would carry cleats, batting gloves and bats he signed in the clubhouse out to give away to those of us who were hanging out by the players cars waiting for autographs. Jose would just ignore us all and hop in his Porsche and drive away.

David
10-21-2008, 11:45 PM
One problem is that Canseco verbally promoted to the pubic the benefits of steroids, and it now turns out he has these physical problems. Many kids will heed the advise of a ball player like Canseco, before the advice of their family doctor-- which shows that Canseco was irresponsible in this aspect. Though I suppose he can say he's sorry about that to promote his next book.

panthrotc
10-21-2008, 11:57 PM
I am with Panth on this one. I was at every weekend home game for the Athletics from 1986-1990 and I got maybe a half dozen Jose Canseco autographs in that time (heck I got more graphs from Reggie in one season than all those years with Jose) I had more McGwire autographs than I could count though and after almost every weekend home game he would carry cleats, batting gloves and bats he signed in the clubhouse out to give away to those of us who were hanging out by the players cars waiting for autographs. Jose would just ignore us all and hop in his Porsche and drive away.

Thats awsome man. My dad worked in north jersey and the head of security of yankee stadium used to come into his store. Make a long story short, he set it up that i could go down to the dugout and meet mac. i used to be member of his fanclub and everytime he came into ny , before batting practice i would yell out " Mark, its don the fanclub member from Nj" , and every year he would come over and sign. I did this from 89 - till 97. Then when he would come in to play the mets and so fourth. When i met him again in the meet and greet with Steiner Sports, i told him who i was and he remembered me from all those. My first time meeting him i was 6 years old and now i would get to do it again at age 21. It was awsome. He was the man. Canseco was always a dick. And he deserves the bed he made for him. Here are the 2 greatest pictures i was ever in. Luckily had him sign one. I got about 15 autos from him through that span.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/10x12.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/mmmm.jpg

gameused
10-22-2008, 01:06 AM
I watched the show and could not believe that Canseco said he is broke! Did you see the house he's renting? Putting up fancy artwork on the walls.....then he jumps on a custom motorcycle probably worth $50 grand or more, not to mention the suped up street bike he rode to the stadium.

The guy had one of the best selling books in 2006, what happened to the money. I just don't buy that he's broke, he wants sympathy.....he's full of SH*T, he just not living it large like he used too and can't handle it!

I looked up the definition of "Broke" in Websters: To become destitute of money or possessions.

That's broke Canseco, get a job like the rest of us and stop wining.

3arod13
10-22-2008, 08:32 AM
It's too late! Nothing Canseco can say will change that!

whatupyos
10-22-2008, 10:37 AM
So does that mean that Canseco is not going to write his follow up book? Or has he done that already? I remember with the first book he was finding it hard to find someone to publish it. Finally, one company did and I believe that's what was happening to his follow up book. Did anyone read the book his ex-wife wrote in contrast to his book. I forget the name but what to say it was something like Living with the Juice or Squeezing the Juice for something like that? Lastly, I find it funny that in Canseco's book I think he mentioned that Roger Clemens was clean and never cheated on his wife or something to that effect. Then I believe it came out that Roger had an affair with a country singer who was under age and in a roid controversy of his own. Kind of like how Canseco said Giambi juiced in Oakland....but Giambi didn't start using until he was with the Yankees. So, Cansecos word isn't necessarily accurate, as we all know.

3arod13
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Canseco states he did all of this because he was angry at MLB and getting them back.

If he did it to genuinely want to clean up baseball, with zero monetary gain, then I would view it differently.

Canseco is a sad and pathetic individual. Just my opinion.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. Not one tear!

gameused
10-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I guess when I was on Websters, I should have looked up how to spell "whining":D

OaklandAsFan
10-22-2008, 12:07 PM
So does that mean that Canseco is not going to write his follow up book? Or has he done that already? I remember with the first book he was finding it hard to find someone to publish it. Finally, one company did and I believe that's what was happening to his follow up book. Did anyone read the book his ex-wife wrote in contrast to his book. I forget the name but what to say it was something like Living with the Juice or Squeezing the Juice for something like that? Lastly, I find it funny that in Canseco's book I think he mentioned that Roger Clemens was clean and never cheated on his wife or something to that effect. Then I believe it came out that Roger had an affair with a country singer who was under age and in a roid controversy of his own. Kind of like how Canseco said Giambi juiced in Oakland....but Giambi didn't start using until he was with the Yankees. So, Cansecos word isn't necessarily accurate, as we all know.

uhhhh G testified before Congress that he "started" juicing the season after his MVP year so he was still playing in Oakland at that time. I put started in quotes because I personally think he is full of it. He was juicing with big Mac way back in the day.

OaklandAsFan
10-22-2008, 12:10 PM
sorry G didn't testify before Congress it was the grand jury testimony that was leaked where he said he started using after his MVP year. I think he said that so MLB couldn't take away his award not that they would have anyway.

whatupyos
10-22-2008, 12:42 PM
OaklandA'sFan:

Thanks for the clarification. I must have misunderstood what the leaked testimony said.

skyking26
10-22-2008, 03:14 PM
I still remember seeing Jose at Tiger Stadium in his hayday with Oakland. He would only talk to the hot women. If you were a kid or a man he would ignore you. He may have honestly changed as what he is going thru is a cruel reality - or, perhaps the whole thing on A&E was a great acting job to evoke sympathy. I for one have none. Best thing he can do is make amends by helping others and forget about where that may get him...

Regarding McGwire, I am still a fan, still collect his stuff. I have had people email because some of my posts were harsh regarding him. I saw him be less than fan friendly in his appearances in Detroit thru the years whether it was for me or others, so it is nice to hear the other side in these threads....

whatupyos
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
The thing with Canseco is, I feel the A&E thing is just an act. I read his book. I borrowed it from the library so as to not help fund him. Anyway, his book reminded me exactly how I felt watching him on A&E. Total pity party. Its all an act in my opinion. Poor me, poor me. I'm just misunderstood. He tried to justify his domestic dispute with wife #2 in the A&E thing. He said all he did was pull her hair. Well, last time I checked, that could still be domestic violence.

sylbry
10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
Someone needs to play the idiot

-Shakespeare on Canseco