PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton book signing

cjclong
10-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Josh Hamilton had a signing of his new book "Beyond Belief" in Arliington, TX last night. The store was supposed to have sold 500 copies and given arm bands to the people who bought them. When we got there at 6pm they had sold out of the scheduled 500 arm bands and were continuing to sell books. We bought several copies and got in line. Hamilton was supposed to sign from 7 to 9 pm. There was a question with the store employees who were telling people he would not stay after 9pm. There were probalby at least another extra 500 people. Then when Hamilton got there, on time, he put out the word he would sign for everyone there. We stood in line for almost 2 hours while he was signing. Whe we got to the table he shook hands with each person and spoke to everyone rather than just rush through. When we left there was still a long line behind us at 9 pm. When the store oversold a lot of athletes wouldn't have stayed past the agreed on time. Hamilton not only stayed, he made it a plesasnt experience by shaking hands and speaking to everyone while he signed. We all complain about athletes from time to time, but when some was as gracious as Hamilton was, it deserves to be noticed. He may have signed for around 1,000 people.

murfsteve25
10-23-2008, 08:04 AM
I remember his first season with the Reds. Cincinnati played an exibition game against the Marlins in Dayton, Ohio. I stood out behind the right field fence(outside the stadium) on the sidewalk and could see Josh signing autographs at the dugout. I watched the clock while he was signing to see how long he would go. It must have been at least 20 minutes. With the way today's players are, thats a hell of a long time to stand in one spot and sign autographs.

metsbats
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Back in the 1992, Mickey Mantle appeared at Barnes & Noble in NYC to sign copies of his new book My Favorite Summer. He was scheduled to be there only for 2 hours and like the Hamilton signing there were more customers than the time would have allowed. While I was waiting on the long line and the signing end time was approaching, it looked like I was not going to get my book signed after all. The manager of the store made an announcement that Mr. Mantle will stay late and sign a book for everyone who was on the line. Like Hamilton, Mantle didn't rush thru fans after the end time and made sure every one got a quality signature (which was always the case with him).

It's great to see Josh Hamilton accomodate his fans the way Mantle. His character in comparison to most modern day players is truly "Beyond Belief"

David

gameu08
10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I recently went on a road trip touring all the stadiums in the mid west area. I saw the White sox vs the rangers and my main goal was to get Hamilton on an all-star baseball. When he came out of the dugout he told everyone he would be back and when a player says that you all know what that means. They are never coming back!! Not in Hamiltons case he came back and signed for about 30 mins or so signing pretty much everyones items. What a great guy for the game and for our needs.

PS--As much as he regrets his tats....they are pretty sick

whatupyos
10-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks all for sharing. Those are awesome stories!! Hambone is a great success story. Especially from someone who's lucky to be alive. I read an article about him and his addiction and I'm amazed he made it through. He's an inspiration to lot and it shows, that you can overcome. I hope he has great success not only in baseball but the rest of his life.

intheminors
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I walked in the store at 5:05 p.m. and the staff said they were not giving out anymore wristbands. They didn't even mention the fact that there was a line for people without wristbands.

So, I went to Razzoo's and drank and watched the World Series.

By the way, here is the list of rules Barnes and Noble handed out for anyone at the signing. I know Josh had nothing to do with this. It just makes me laugh because we have a meet and greet here every Friday and Saturday night. We don't hand out rules...

FastLane80
10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I think a lot of pampered athletes today take a lot of things for granted and, knowing what I know about Hamilton, I think he appriciates things a lot more after being what he's been through. I look forward to reading his book.

lund6771
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a rookie bat of his in my office....it reminds me a lot of those motivational posters that are sold at local shopping malls...the ones with the lions, eagles, etc...

what a great role model for kids that might have temporarily chosen the wrong fork in the road...it's never to late to make your dreams come true!!!

jetersbatboy
10-23-2008, 12:42 PM
I am guessing this is why most athletes don't like to sign for free!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Josh-Hamilton-signed-book-Beyond-Belief_W0QQitemZ110303166833QQihZ001QQcategoryZ213 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Signed on Oct. 22 2008.

camarokids
10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Josh-Hamilton-signed-book-Beyond-Belief_W0QQitemZ110303166833QQihZ001QQcategoryZ213 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Signed on Oct. 22 2008.

I agree with you on what your saying.

However the people that do sell the autographs they receive actually serve a purpose.

Not everyone can go to where the players are and there are many other reasons.

If there was not a market for their sigs .....

skyking26
10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Signed on Oct. 22 2008.
To stand in line that length of time for ten bucks??? Don't think so.