PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Authenticator/grader To Used For Game-used Bats ??? (no Jokes,please)

frankicards
10-23-2008, 01:50 PM
HEY OUT THERE ,

WHATS THE BEST BAT AUTHENTICATOR OUT THERE ??

PSA ?? MEARS ??

DO I NEED ONE FOR A MODERN GAME-USED BAT ??

GRADED ?? :confused:

THANKS , EVERYONE

Jags Fan Dan
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
My own opinion is that modern game used bats usually speak for themselves based on model and use characteristics from the player in question. Is this a bat you are looking to buy? Sell? How big a ticket item is it? These are factors that would likely go into this decision.

3arod13
10-23-2008, 02:17 PM
There was this guy and girl in a bar, .... opps, sorry...no jokes :D

3arod13
10-23-2008, 02:19 PM
There was this guy and girl in a bar, .... opps, sorry...no jokes :D

Oops

MEARS LOA's are very detailed. PSA is also good.

camarokids
10-24-2008, 09:16 AM
if you are going to seriously collect game used bats???

you need to learn yourself .....

also you have the forum members for assistance......

especially on older bats, the forum is a great place.... plus it will save you, your money....

allstarsplus
10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
John Taube of PSA/DNA is excellent if you are looking for 3rd party to authenticate and grade a bat for you.

Here's John's contact info:

JT Sports • 1 South Granville Ave., Margate, NJ 08402 • (609) 487-8003 • Fax: (609) 487-8090 • info@gameusedbats.com (info@gameusedbats.com)

SkubeBats
10-24-2008, 01:40 PM
HELLO,
I WOULD NEVER PAY SOMEONE TO LOOK AT MY BATS AND TELL ME IF THERE GOOD OR NOT. IF YOU DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK THERE IS NO NEED TO PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT. I HAVE CLOSE TO 300 GAME USED BATS AND I ONLY HAVE ONE BAT THAT IS GRADED. I BOUGHT THE BAT FROM SOMEONE HOW HAD IT GRADED. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME WITH THESE PEOPLE, DO THE WORK YOURSELF. WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE BY DOING IT YOUR SELF YOU COULD GO OUT AND BUY ANOTHER BAT.
THANKS,
JAMIE
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

trsent
10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
HELLO,
I WOULD NEVER PAY SOMEONE TO LOOK AT MY BATS AND TELL ME IF THERE GOOD OR NOT. IF YOU DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK THERE IS NO NEED TO PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT. I HAVE CLOSE TO 300 GAME USED BATS AND I ONLY HAVE ONE BAT THAT IS GRADED. I BOUGHT THE BAT FROM SOMEONE HOW HAD IT GRADED. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME WITH THESE PEOPLE, DO THE WORK YOURSELF. WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE BY DOING IT YOUR SELF YOU COULD GO OUT AND BUY ANOTHER BAT.
THANKS,
JAMIE
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

Or if you wish to have someone look at your bats because you are concerned and want the letters with the bats so your family can sell them when you leave your collection to them someday it is great to have a 3rd party authenticate your bats.

I would not use this service for $50 - $300 (maybe even higher?) valued bats, but if you have a nice collection of more expensive bats - PSA/DNA Bats and MEARS are the most trusted bat authenticators in the business.

3arod13
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
HELLO,
THANKS,
JAMIE
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

Nothing wrong at all with paying someone knowledgable to authenticate your gamers. There are a few good authenticators worth spending your money for piece of mind. But you still definately want to do your own homework.

camarokids
10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Game used bats of the modern era, pretty much authenticate themselves....

They are what they are......

With a few exceptions (ex: early X-Bats).....

Really you just need to do your homework and know (and trust) who you are buying from on large ticket items.......

On lower priced items ebay is just fine.........

Check www.gettyimages.com (and other sites) for style matches and use characteristics.....

You can even learn a lot from watching games on tv....

Don't be afraid to ask questions on the forum.....

cjclong
10-24-2008, 03:30 PM
I would trust John Taube who I have dealt with for a number of years now.

yanks12025
10-24-2008, 03:31 PM
For vintage bats i would go with Mears, they do alot of research for your items. Like others said for modern bats you just need to know yourself. But PSA is good for modern bats.

David
10-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Overall and in general (as opposed to a niche area where the player or agent gives LOAs for that a specific player) MEARS and PSA/DNA are about equally ranked as the best and best known bat examiners.

skyking26
10-25-2008, 02:58 PM
For bats, I do my own homework and get alot of help from guys like Mike Specht...

For jerseys I value Rob Steinmetz opinion highly...

For gloves I would only consider Denny Esken...

I'm still looking for helmet guys...nobody has really stood out on that one...

joelsabi
10-25-2008, 04:11 PM
who has better access to bat company records? psa or mears?

MSpecht
10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
If you have not read these blogs before, you may find them interesting....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=194

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=195

In addition to the access to factory records, the supplemental resources available to any specific authenticator or authentication company is important such as a large photo-library, etc. More important, however, is what information is provided in each autnenticator's LOAs. .. What you will find is that axross-the-board, the letters written today are much more informative and specific than the letters written just two or three years ago.

Good Luck

Mike jackitout7@aol.com