PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bears Tag Question

sonic
10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone,
I just discovered this website and I love it! Although I primarily collect football cards, I've been inspired to start a GU collection. I browsed the archives but couldn't find an answer, so hopefully someone can help a newbie out.
I own a Walter Payton sports card that has a piece of game used tag. I have thoroughly examined the card for signs of tampering and it appears legitimate.
Can anyone confirm that the Bears used this tag style while Payton played? If so, can someone approximate what year it was worn? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo133/sundevil_2008/f041_1.jpg

34swtns
10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Interesting. And by "interesting" I mean "what a load".

That is a mid-90's Wilson jocktag. Walter retired in 1988.

otismalibu
10-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Does the card actually claim that the tag is from a jersey Sweetness wore? I know many of the current swatch cards will feature a HOFer but then it simply says the swatch is from a game used jersey...not a game used jersey from the person pictured on the card.

sonic
10-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Thank you for the info. I plan on returning the card to the seller for a refund. The card says its supposed to be game worn by Payton, but if the tag wasn't produced until the 1990s, I guess it is a fake.

trsent
10-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Thank you for the info. I plan on returning the card to the seller for a refund. The card says its supposed to be game worn by Payton, but if the tag wasn't produced until the 1990s, I guess it is a fake.

Is the card a fake by the seller or did the card company use a jersey with a bad tag? You should post a copy of the front and back of the full card for us to inspect.

I do not think the seller is in the wrong if the card is a legitimate trading card that he sold as the card company should be to blame, not the seller.

buc
10-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I can tell you without seeing the whole card that it is doctored. That is not the way it came.