PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning GAME ISSUED Jersey Ebay

fredgarvin
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Please give me your expert opinions on this jersey. Also does anyone think the seller is hiding something by keeping bidder's private. I also notice someone questioned the seller concerning the QB sleeves in feedback. Thank you for your help.

FG

fredgarvin
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Opps. Here is Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330280648167

otismalibu
10-23-2008, 06:35 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19878

trsent
10-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Please give me your expert opinions on this jersey. Also does anyone think the seller is hiding something by keeping bidder's private. I also notice someone questioned the seller concerning the QB sleeves in feedback. Thank you for your help.

FG

I am not going to get into my usual debate, but I will make a few quick points:

- I do not know if this jersey is good or not, as I have not looked at it.
- I do know that a private auction does not mean anything negative about the item itself. I have used private auctions for years and years as I was tired of people emailing my bidders before and after the auction ended, usually to try to sell them something.
- eBay agreed that bidders should be semi-private, as all auctions now scramble the bidders Used Id until the end, in which only the high bidder's name is visible.

mvandor
10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Given the abuse of the term "game issue" and the fact the seller never addresses provenance, it seems likely to me this is a very nicely customized pro-cut. One of the best I've seen actually.

mvandor
10-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Given the abuse of the term "game issue" and the fact the seller never addresses provenance, it seems likely to me this is a very nicely customized pro-cut. One of the best I've seen actually.
Actually I see this beantown's sale and the title now refers to it as a pro-cut.

Curious where you got it from bean...

clinton2828
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
one things that becomes an issues on this forum to me, is when people ask where other memebers obtained an item. personally i dont feel other members shouhld disclose or tell other members based on the simple face they dont want to lose a contact or source.

if the item matches up to phots that should be proof enough

and this one dose 100%

mvandor
10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
one things that becomes an issues on this forum to me, is when people ask where other memebers obtained an item. personally i dont feel other members shouhld disclose or tell other members based on the simple face they dont want to lose a contact or source.

if the item matches up to phots that should be proof enough

and this one dose 100%
Free country "Clinton" (might want to consider a better userid), I can ask, he can tell me or not.

The market is flooded with Manning pro-cuts but that's the first one I've sen with solid sleeves, so it prompted my curiosity.

otismalibu
10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
if the item matches up to photos that should be proof enough

and this one dose 100%

If you're talking about the jersey and the photo that is posted in that auction...they don't match up. The 8s on the sleeve are clearly not the same.

So did this jersey come from the team exactly like this?

Was this a blank that was customized by someone else?

Did this jersey have an old number removed before it was customized?

These are things I'd want to know if I was interested in the jersey.

mvandor
10-24-2008, 12:17 PM
If you're talking about the jersey and the photo that is posted in that auction...they don't match up. The 8s on the sleeve are clearly not the same.

So did this jersey come from the team exactly like this?

Was this a blank that was customized by someone else?

Did this jersey have an old number removed before it was customized?

These are things I'd want to know if I was interested in the jersey.
Good catch, front 8 is off too. As I recall the sleeves and front use unequal openings in the center of the 8's, yet use equal sized openings on the rear 8...

otismalibu
10-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Good catch, front 8 is off too. As I recall the sleeves and front use unequal openings in the center of the 8's, yet use equal sized openings on the rear 8...

I've seen these 8s on old Steelers jerseys from the 70s and 80s too. I think someone posted some Steelers game jerseys photos either on this board or another one I frequent. Can't remember if the pics were from the HOF or Heinz, but IIRC, there was a Stallworth jersey with the 8s on 'upside down' with the smaller openings at the bottom.

I customized a M&N Bradshaw jersey and turned it into a Swann for a buddy of mine. None of the 8s were the same (front, back sleeves). Pain in the ass, it was.

Jags Fan Dan
10-24-2008, 12:52 PM
I agree that the term game issued or team issued are used so much anymore that they have nearly lost all of their original meaning. On a related topic, I love this Holt jersey Jim Yackel is selling, along with his blurb about it. Classic!:D

Jags Fan Dan
10-24-2008, 12:52 PM
I agree that the term game issued or team issued are used so much anymore that they have nearly lost all of their original meaning. On a related topic, I love this Holt jersey Jim Yackel is selling, along with his blurb about it. Classic!:D
Forgot the link:
http://www.jimyackel.com/tempsale2.htm

otismalibu
10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I love this Holt jersey Jim Yackel is selling, along with his blurb about it.

That's a great price for a bar/stadium jersey that some fans could actually fit. I'd love to get a Steelers gamer to customize.

trsent
10-24-2008, 02:49 PM

As usual - What was the original meaning of "team issued" or "game issued"?

I think we want them to mean more to us than what the mean to the sellers.

Sort of like buying low and selling high?

Jags Fan Dan
10-24-2008, 02:52 PM
As usual - What was the original meaning of "team issued" or "game issued"?

I think we want them to mean more to us than what the mean to the sellers.

Sort of like buying low and selling high?
The original meaning, or at least my understanding of the meaning, of team issued and game issued was that the equipment originated from the team's locker room. It was intended for game use, or served as a back up for the player it was issued to, but was never used. To me, that is what the term should mean.

trsent
10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
That's a great price for a bar/stadium jersey that some fans could actually fit. I'd love to get a Steelers gamer to customize.

From the Jim Yackel web site:

"White #88 HOLT, NOB, Puma size 50, 4" L.B. This jersey may have been created for promotional purposes but I can't say conclusively. It is not game-worn or game-issued, despite the proper tagging. This would be perfect jersey for a Rams fan to wear. There is a very faint autograph on the back numeral 8, done in gold paint pen. Please do not contact me about regarding the minutae concerning this jersey as it is NOT a game jersey. If you purchase this jersey from me and then flip it on ebay as game-worn, game-issued, or game anything--I will pursue legal action with swiftness. This jersey is being marketed as a Top-Quality Authentic-Style Replica. Buy the jersey, wear it, and enjoy it!"

I am just wondering what legal action he is going to take? For instance, if the jersey ended up on eBay, would he sue the buyer in his home state court or would he hire an attorney in another state to sue the seller of the jersey?

Neat web site Jim has. I guess Jim is into recording his own music and spreading his religious beliefs.

trsent
10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
The original meaning, or at least my understanding of the meaning, of team issued and game issued was that the equipment originated from the team's locker room. It was intended for game use, or served as a back up for the player it was issued to, but was never used. To me, that is what the term should mean.

You are correct, but who ever said that is what it means? That is what it is meant to mean to you, but sellers mean it to mean the jersey is the same tagged jersey worn by the players. It could come from anywhere - the locker room is just our imagination.

It is just like my theory - If you own it, it is gold. If you are buying it, it is silver.

otismalibu
10-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Agree for the most part.

To me, team issued/game issued means it was customized by the same folks that customized the game worn version. Now an equipment mgr. can have 10 Mannings made up for the sole purpose of selling them. Obviously, they were never really intended for game use or to be used as a backup. They were intended to go out the back door and make someone some coin. But at least those will match the real deal, which may or may not be a good thing.

Now, if you've landed a team blank and had the local sporting good shop add a name and numbers. That's a different animal.

I bought a 76ers Sand-Knit game jersey that was worn by Scott Brooks. I took his number off and made it into an Andrew Toney jersey. It looked pretty good, but by no means was it a Boston Strangler game issued jersey...and I pointed that out in the description when I listed it on eBay.

fredgarvin
10-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Seller still has item listed as "Game Cut Issued". I appreciate mvandor and everyone's opinion. GREAT eye on the "8" font. The seller is beantown according to mvandor. I assume he is a member who chooses not to respond to his own item or by coinsidence is not seeing this post. I will stay away from this piece.