Advantages and disadvantages of collecting your player(s)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Advantages and disadvantages of collecting your player(s)

Anyone have to make a tough decision about what player they collect.

I happen to collect ARod. I would rather collect Clemente but his items are so out of reach financially. Sometime I wonder if ARod is a good choice for me. I realize I cannot afford the super high end milestone items but I have satisfaction from the items I have gathered over the years. At the same time, I wonder if choosing a more affordable player that I like such as Vlade Guerrero would be more satisfying. I could possibly afford to buy any Vlade that came up for sale.

So my question is what tough decision(s) have you had to make with the player you chose to collect. what are the disadvantage and advantages of collecting the player you chose to collect.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Re: Advantages and disadvantages of collecting your player(s)

Originally posted by joelsabi
    Anyone have to make a tough decision about what player they collect.

I happen to collect ARod. I would rather collect Clemente but his items are so out of reach financially. Sometime I wonder if ARod is a good choice for me. I realize I cannot afford the super high end milestone items but I have satisfaction from the items I have gathered over the years. At the same time, I wonder if choosing a more affordable player that I like such as Vlade Guerrero would be more satisfying. I could possibly afford to buy any Vlade that came up for sale.

So my question is what tough decision(s) have you had to make with the player you chose to collect. what are the disadvantage and advantages of collecting the player you chose to collect.

Joel,

As you know, I also collect Arod. I'm satisifed in finding and collecting those difficult and rare pieces, and less concerned about collecting everything.

I sold all of my Arod cards. Cards come a dime a dozen and there are just too many.

Finding those rare pieces that not everyone can say they have, is what I focus on.

How many can say that have a 1994 AL, NL, and Minor League signed balls of Arod? Especially the NL ball. I couldn't believe I even found that. Paid only $100 for it. An awesome steal.

Tony
    Attached Files
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
      • Apr 2007

The advantages of collecting Mark Brunell is affordability. The downside is his items are somewhat few and far between.

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Joel,

Why collect someone just because they're more affordable, than collector the player you really admire and like?
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• skyking26
          • Dec 2005

As everybody knows, I collect Dave Kingman. Disadvantages are in the fact that when a piece comes up that he is Mets or Cubs associated, then the price goes sky high. His Oakland stuff does not command anywhere near what the other stuff does (example Oakland jacket at $165 in this GUU auction). As far as Giants stuff, you get interest because it is vintage.

Advantages are that the following is alot smaller that Arod, etc. thus decreasing competition. Other than that, Kingman has always been very cordial and nice to me and the family and I have enjoyed collecting a guy who was my favorite as a kid and I know personally today...
          ROBERT KOPPEL
          Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
          and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• yanks12025
            • Jan 2006

I collect Chris Chambliss items but there really aint that many of his game used items out there. And when some one has one they ask alot for it or its not for sale.

I also collect Robinson Cano items but i stopped right now because i dont want to invest more money in him if the yankees trade him away this off season.

Comment

• ironmanfan
              • Sep 2005

Yanks....I got Chambliss' locker nameplate from the old Seattle Kingdome. If you're interested, drop me a note.

Bill
              whhp72@yahoo.com

Comment

• thomecollector
                • May 2006

I collected Thome stuff because of the fact that he is my favorite. His stuff used to be everywhere. It was also very affordable. But , it has become less and less available. The prices for Phils, and Sox stuff is a lot higher. That is when you can find it.....
                Roger Ward- Thomecollector
                thomecollector@verizon.net

Comment

• AWA85
                  • Jan 2008

Big disadvantages of collecting one player is the possibility of a trade and how that changes your feelings. I was a huge Adam Dunn collector because he was my favorite player for the Reds. Now that he will be playing with another team, I just won't feel the need to pick up any of his other items. Guess that makes me appreciate guys like Barry Larkin even more.
                  Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• joelsabi
                    • Aug 2005

Tony,

Affordability is a huge factor for me.

I gave my example, using Clemente, ARod and Vlad (Clemente’s nephew). I thought a lot about collecting Clemente back in the early 90’s. Nothing excited me more than getting a Clemente single signed ball but when I saw a friend having a Raul Mondesi game used jersey and glove, I thought it was more realistic to try a player who had stuff available that I could afford. How often did Clemente item come up for sale? Very rarely. Even card show rarely had Clemente stuff back then, the National being the exception. When there was such an opportunity, what chance did I have of buying it thru auction? Slim to none. Just too pricey. Had I chosen Clemente I would still have just that baseball today. I think the only other items that I could afford and that interest me of Clemente are his vintage photos. Store model bats and glove didn’t interest me. Replica jerseys didn’t interest me either.

I made my choice of player to collect 15 years ago, so I am not changing now. But I bring up this question for those who are new to the hobby and may want to factor in what quantity of items will be available for the player(s) they eventually choose. If you begin collecting a new player just coming into the majors you have a good chance of having a nice collection in the long run, say in 10 years. If a person chose to start collecting ARod now, it make sense that unless you are well funded you collection will be limited if you want high end items, which are usually the game used items.

Anyways. I guess it comes down to you collecting goals and everyone enjoys this great hobby for different reasons. Also some people are really patient while others like to add to their collection on a regular basis. A lot of us here specialize or are thinking about specializing in collecting a favorite player. I think it’s great to share our collecting experience with others here.

Joel
                    Regards,
                    Joel S.
                    joelsabi @ gmail.com
                    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• gatorcollector
                      • Aug 2005

The advantages of collecting jerseys of former Florida Gators are many: there are many players to choose from in all 3 major sports, and most of them are "common" players whose game used stuff is relatively cheap. I love it when I can pick up a 1991 Crawford Ker Denver Broncos jersey on Ebay for $77. Ker doesn't mean much to most fans, but to Gator fans he is known as one of our greatest O-Lineman and one of the strongest players to ever play for UF.

Some people have commented that when a player is traded, they lose their enthusiasm for that player. That's the great thing about the way I collect. No matter what happens in their pro career, once a Gator, always a Gator!

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                        • Aug 2007

my favorite is josh hamilton. depending on where i buy his stuff from depends on the price. i would pay a premium for a pair of g/u cleats batting helmet/glove jersey. also one of the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me is buying a piece of g/u equipment for a player and getting it signed. i recently sold a michael young bat because i didnt think id ever be able to get it signed. well a week later he had a signing. that is also another reason i like hamilton is the fact that he is very accomodating to the fans here in dallas as well as the rest of the a.l.
                        Baseball do what it do
                        -Ron Washington

Comment

• panthrotc
                          • Dec 2005

collecting mcgwire NOW has it's advantages & Disadvantages

Advantages
                          1. I will get items alot lower then i would if he was in the HOF and there was no steroid scandal.

2. Rare items do surface more frequently then prior to 2005

Disadvantages

1. I will overpay for an item that i would probably lose money on if i resold it at a later time.

2. Many RARER items will not surface because people do not want to take a hit on selling it now hoping he will make the hall.

But i do not plan on re selling any mcgwire items i obtain. So it goes both ways for me.

Comment

• 3arod13
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by AWA85
                            Big disadvantages of collecting one player is the possibility of a trade and how that changes your feelings. I was a huge Adam Dunn collector because he was my favorite player for the Reds. Now that he will be playing with another team, I just won't feel the need to pick up any of his other items. Guess that makes me appreciate guys like Barry Larkin even more.
                            Adam...interesting. when Arod was with Seattle, Texas, and now with New York, I still continued to collect his stuff. I realize many collectors are more into collecting players on their team. Once that players leaves, the interest isn't there anymore. I'm a collector of the player, not the team as much. However, I would prefer my favorite player, who I collect, to play on my favorite team.

Funny how Arod ended up in New York...my favorite team!
                            Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• bigtruck260
                              • Sep 2007

Almost every bat in my collection - with the exception of a few really high dollar modern day player bats, were under $100. I can really get any item I want for a decent price...and with the amount of Cards collectors out there, I can usually work out a trade for something. We are a tight knit bunch....
                              Dave
                              Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                              River City Redbird Authentics
                              http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

Working...