PDA

View Full Version : MODS - Let's Allow Editing..

aeneas01
10-28-2008, 11:25 AM
is there a reason why editing your own post is not allowed on this board? it's a common feature at every board i frequent and works quite well. honestly, it's a pain not to be able to correct an error in a post, to have to create another post to explain that you are correcting a previous post.

kingjammy24
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
hiya robert

many moons ago, users could edit their posts on here. in an effort to combat people flying off at the handle with libelous or crass comments, someone decided to remove the feature in order "make people think before they post" and to hold users permanently accountable for what they've posted. they figured that if people's comments were permanent, then they'd think long and hard before making them. anyone could come on, write up a post saying that you've been selling forged helmets for years and enjoy kicking puppies in your spare time and then come on a few hours later after it's been read by many people, edit it all out, and then stand there whistling and looking up at the heavens as if nothing ever happened with no proof of anything.

on one hand, i see the logic. it's a greater goal at the sacrifice of making people live with typos. on the other hand, if it genuinely is such a good idea, and i believe it may very well be, then why not extend it to all the mods? that's really the main beef. why do users have to be held permanently accountable for their comments but not mods? hold everyone to the same standard. it's only fair. if i have to live with typos, then so should rob steinmetz.

personally, i miss being able to edit posts but for me it's not that big a deal. back in the day when you could edit posts, you'd see stuff appearing and disappearing all the time.

rudy.

ironmanfan
10-28-2008, 12:16 PM
The other thing with edited posts is that sometimes it makes reading a thread very confusing once key comments are changed/erased. I didn't know that the mods could edit however..........

otismalibu
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Editing posts = adding a facemask after the fact

aeneas01
10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
so it's better to have a false accusation, a misspoken statement and/or a moment of irate and ill advised ranting set in stone? as a reminder to all to consider carefully what they post? seems to me this could exacerbate of a bad sitch - retractions / corrections buried on page 5, never to be read.

anyway, thanks for the explanation although i don't agree with the policy in the least, have observed far too many boards that manage just fine with the edit option in place. more of a hindrance than a deterrent imho.

Vintagedeputy
10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I simply wish that we could have a "remember me" feature when we log in so that we dont have to keep logging in.

chakes89
10-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I too wish we had a remember me feature

Nathan
10-28-2008, 11:10 PM
so it's better to have a false accusation, a misspoken statement and/or a moment of irate and ill advised ranting set in stone? as a reminder to all to consider carefully what they post? seems to me this could exacerbate of a bad sitch - retractions / corrections buried on page 5, never to be read.

anyway, thanks for the explanation although i don't agree with the policy in the least, have observed far too many boards that manage just fine with the edit option in place. more of a hindrance than a deterrent imho.

Other problems would come in, especially on the for sale board. It would be awfully easy to sell an item, then delete or edit the original post knowing full well that it was misrepresented to begin with. By "cleaning up", suddenly there's no proof for all to see.

aeneas01
10-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Other problems would come in, especially on the for sale board. It would be awfully easy to sell an item, then delete or edit the original post knowing full well that it was misrepresented to begin with. By "cleaning up", suddenly there's no proof for all to see.
the edit feature includes a date/time stamp that indicates if and when, and how many times, a post was edited. consequently it's perfectly clear when an original post has been altered. i would think someone who pulled what you suggest ("cleaning up" an ad in order defraud a buyer) would be identified immediately and forever banned. i would also think that few (if any) would be moronic enough to attempt such a stunt - but that's just me.

kingjammy24
10-29-2008, 10:46 AM
the problem isn't knowing if or when a post was altered but what specifically was changed. a date/time stamp won't show the specific alteration. someone could just say they wanted to fix a typo.

i would also think that few (if any) would be moronic enough to attempt such a stunt - but that's just me.

trust me robert, it's just you. never underestimate the depths of idiocy.

i saw both sides of the coin and i don't mind this terribly. it was difficult to have a contentious debate when the other person kept altering their posts and making you look like a madman for responding to things that were no longer there.

i saw people make admissions of wrongdoing and then change it. the date/time stamp meant nothing because all it showed was that they made a change but not what specifically was changed. they just wrote "typo" or some such for the reason.

rudy.

camarokids
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Just a thought for the GUU owners....

When I worked at Capital One, if I put a note on someone's account and needed to make a correction(edit). I could do so as long as it was with-in 24 hours of the time I noted the account. If it was after 24 hours , the note could not be changed(edited)...

If your technical guys could install this type of edit feature, or make the time frame only 12 hours or even less , say two hours , that would still make people think about what they are posting...