PDA

View Full Version : 2008 World Series

BULBUS
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
No one has mentioned the fact that the Phillies are the 2008 World Champs?? It really was the lamest World Series ever, wasnt it? I flicked to it a couple of times, but it was un-watchable. The Rays didnt even show up. They were not the same team that finished in first place in the AL East and beat both Soxes. Go 2009 Yankees ! ! ! :D

DGRROSEN
10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I am a Red Sox fan and I did not like what they did to the Red Sox in the playoffs. However, I do give the Rays a lot of credit in 2008, considering they were in last place in 2007.

shoremen44
10-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Unwatchable?

I am an Orioles fan first, but the World Series featured alot of great pitching, and some pretty crazy plays and moments...

it was the closest 4 to 1 series I can remember...

and as far as the last game goes... how many times do you get to debate strategy for a day in the middle of a game?

I thought it was a great series...

I would have loved to see the O's vs the Cards... but it weas entertaining

cjclong
10-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Something needs to be done to move the series closer to October than November. Forty degree drizzly weather is not the way baseball should be played. Any ideas? One might be to have some scheduled double headers during the year. Back in the 50's and 60's teams often had double headers scheduled on weekends. It might lose some revenue, but would shorten the regular season. Just one thought. Anybody got any others?

trsent
10-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I compared the World Series to last year's when an amazing finish by The Colorado Rockies brought them to play an experienced Red Sox team. The difference this year is that Tampa Bay dominated the American League all year long, but overall I expected Philadelphia to win easily just as Boston did a season prior.

NegleyPirate
10-30-2008, 03:08 PM
I watched some of the series. I really didn't care who won. It was nice to see different teams. Maybe some year my Pirate's will get there(lol). I think the spring training should be shorter or make the spring training games count. Seems like baseball is all year long(lol) with fall & winter leagues playing. I guess good for us game used bat collector's.
Mike

Vintagedeputy
10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I watched most of it.

I had hoped the Rays would win because quite honestly, they earned it. I wanted the Phils to lose because they and the Nats always battle. As a Yankee fan and having lived through the Yankees/Red Sox wars since 1976, I can honestly say that the Phillies fans in attendance were the most low class/no class bunch I've ever seen. Poor sportsmanship on their part. The boos I heard on tv were horrible. Too bad the Phils didnt botch this one because thats what their boorish fans deserved.

Chris78
10-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Being a Phillies fan it was a great feeling last night:D . I got my Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News this morning along with some of the other newspapers:) . It was nice that I could actually watch the ending and see some of the post game stuff on the Philadelphia stations.

My biggest complaint is that these games start to late. They should move these up to at least an 8:00pm start time and preferably 7:37pm, which is an hour earlier than what it is right now. If you were on the East Coast, Game 3 lasted until just before 2AM. I could not watch some of the games due to my work schedule and late start times:mad: .

This win I figured will cost me over $200 easily in just World Series Phllies shirts, hats, collectibles, etc. and I already spent over $100 on the NL win.

bubbrubb25
10-30-2008, 07:51 PM
EXCUSE ME? Unwatchable? That was the best world series EVAAA LETS GO PHILLIESS!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

camarokids
10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
It was a great series...... I am glad the Phillies won in a way cause they have not won since 1980......

I am glad the Devil Rays just made it to the The Big Show......

They are still the 2008 American League Champions!

The opposing teams were booed at both stadiums, so I am not sure why the Phillies fans are being labeled as rude????

The Devil Rays were just drained from the 7 game ALCS.....

allstarsplus
10-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Great series and Tampa Bay made each game close. The Rays should be a team to reckon with for years to come.

I thought the umpiring (if that is a word) was poor at times. Was Tim Donaghy (former NBA ref) behind homeplate imitating an Ump for Halloween? Have to wonder about the balls/strikes in the World Series. :mad:
How many 3-2 counts went against Tampa?

metsbats
10-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Congrats to the Phillies.

You have to have a great bullpen to win.

Lidge was virtually untouchable for the entire 2008 season and the post season.

At least the WS champs are from the NL East this year!

David

Vintagedeputy
10-31-2008, 06:03 AM
The opposing teams were booed at both stadiums, so I am not sure why the Phillies fans are being labeled as rude????

check this out.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-game5prefans102708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

and then there's this nitwit....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20081030_Phillies_fan_robs_bank_to_pay_for_gear.ht ml

allstarsplus
10-31-2008, 07:07 AM
check this out.......

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20081030_Phillies_fan_robs_bank_to_pay_for_gear.ht ml
Jim - Good stuff and I concur.

I have been to Bad Citizens Bank Park and was verbally abused before the game even started for wearing a Nationals cap. I was there on 8/19 which was a few days after Jimmy Rollins famous "Frontrunner" comments. I saw how they boo'd their own every time a ball was hit to Rollins or he stepped up to bat.

This is an excerpt of what they did at Game 5:
And at Citizens Bank Park, a few lubricated louts abused not just Tampa Bay's fans, but the 7-year-old granddaughter of Rays manager Joe Maddon and the 13-month-old niece of outfielder Ben Zobrist.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/33562334.html

BULBUS
10-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Great series and Tampa Bay made each game close. The Rays should be a team to reckon with for years to come.

Yes, unwatchable. How were the tv ratings????

I dont think the games were close at all, remember the 10-2 game? Philly jumped out to a lead in the first inning in just about each game.

The Rays becoming good was bound to happen. After getting first round picks year after year, you should be good. As far as them being a team to reckon with for years to come, no way. The owner will never pay to keep these guys. Longoria will look good in pinstripes in a couple of years :D

bigtime59
10-31-2008, 08:51 AM
The Rays becoming good was bound to happen. After getting first round picks year after year, you should be good. As far as them being a team to reckon with for years to come, no way. The owner will never pay to keep these guys. Longoria will look good in pinstripes in a couple of years :D

Boy, if that comment--even if made in jest--didn't sum up absolutely everything that's wrong with MLB, I don't know what does. F*** the Yankee$ and their money-based domination of this sport. They'll find a way to kill it yet.
I hope that Hank $teinbrenner turns out to be as much of a moron as his public pronouncements make him out to be. Otherwise, once New Yankee $tadium starts vomiting previously unheard of amounts of money into their pockets, we're all doomed.

allstarsplus
10-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Yes, unwatchable. How were the tv ratings????

I dont think the games were close at all, remember the 10-2 game? Philly jumped out to a lead in the first inning in just about each game.

If the Yankees and Red Sox get pitchers like Sabathia, Dempster, and Sheets and Texeira at 1st then it could shift the teams in the AL East, but to not think the Rays will be in the race next year is your opinion.

The owner already paid to sign Longoria long term and IF they get increased fan attendence they will be able to keep players, but I would agree that is a key for their future.

F*** the Yankee$ and their money-based domination of this sport.The Yankees will be big buyers this year. I see the trend in Free Agency changing this year to a bidding war for Manny, CC, Dempster, Sheets and Tex will have plenty of teams in the bidding which will mean each will be paid higher than previous years.

allstarsplus
11-02-2008, 09:21 AM
This was posted on the Boston Globe online for the odds of winning the 2009 World Series:

http://cache.boston.com/images/blog/redesign/sports/625x121_extraBases.gif (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/)

Red Sox: The 2009 favorite? (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/10/red_sox_the_200.html)

Here's one of the fun secrets about being a sportswriter: Public relations folks from sports betting Web sites flood your e-mail with all matter of goofy odds in hope that you'll share them with the public and give them gratis advertising. Well, BetOnline.com, today is your lucky day.

An e-mail popped into my box today announcing that, though this year's World Series ended not 15 hours ago, it's never too early to wager on next year's champion.

Free agency starts in 15 days? Winter meetings still more than a month away? No matter. The Red Sox, at 3 to 1, are your early favorites to win the World Series.

Here is the full list, courtesy of BetOnline.com:

Boston Red Sox 3/1
Chicago Cubs 5/1
LA Angels 5/1
Philadelphia Phillies 6/1
New York Yankees 6/1
Tampa Bay Devil Rays 10/1
Chicago White Sox 10/1
New York Mets 12/1
Milwaukee Brewers 15/1
Minnesota Twins 15/1
LA Dodgers 15/1
Toronto Blue Jays 20/1
Detroit Tigers 25/1
Florida Marlins 30/1
Houston Astros 30/1
St. Louis Cardinals 30/1
Cleveland Indians 30/1
Atlanta Braves 30/1
Arizona Diamondbacks 40/1
Colorado Rockies 40/1
Texas Rangers 50/1
Cincinnati Reds 50/1
Oakland Athletics 50/1
San Francisco Giants 80/1
KC Royals 100/1
Baltimore Orioles 100/1
Seattle Mariners 100/1
San Diego Padres 100/1
Pittsburgh Pirates 200/1
Washington Nationals 300/1

For the purpose of entertainment only: What's your best bet, and do you agree that the Red Sox should be favored?

AWA85
11-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Time to go put $10 on the Nats and hope for a run like Tampa Bay :cool:

allstarsplus
11-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Time to go put $10 on the Nats and hope for a run like Tampa Bay :cool:

Thanks for your confidence in our Nats!!! lol

I think the time to make some bets on teams like the Dodgers with 15/1 would be now because if they sign Manny Ramirez they will at least be in the hunt and the odds will drop.

I am going to bet these:

Tampa Bay Devil Rays 10/1
Florida Marlins 30/1
St. Louis Cardinals 30/1
Cleveland Indians 30/1
Arizona Diamondbacks 40/1
Washington Nationals 300/1

camarokids
11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
check this out.......

I have heard prior to the WS about Philly fans being outrageous and going too far.

Picking on little kids and family members, that is pretty bad and uncalled for. I didn't hear about all that.

I did notice both visiting teams being booed.