PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grace goes off on Sammy Sosa

byergo
03-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Ex-Cub Grace takes a steroid shot at Sosa

Mark Grace didn’t say anything about steroids then. But he’s got plenty to say now.
Grace, a former Chicago Cubs and Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman, is talking now that his major-league career is in the past.
“It’s not just Barry (Bonds),” Grace said recently. “There were a lot of guys doing it. I saw it with my own eyes.”
Grace left little doubt that he believed former teammate Sammy Sosa used steroids, and he said he would not vote for Sosa for the Hall of Fame if he were a voter.
“Those are the red-flag guys, the guys that just made the sudden big, big jumps,” he said. “Guys that showed up at the beginning of their career at 170 pounds and left at the end of their career at 235 pounds. A body can’t get that way naturally; it has to be enhanced with something. Sammy’s just one of the guys of many that are red-flag guys. Do we have proof? Nope. But you certainly have suspicions.”
Sosa went from making $17 million last year (the first year baseball suspended players who tested positive for steroids) to not being able to get a guaranteed contract this year. He is out of baseball.
“There’s a lot of guys that are not playing anymore, that are not even good players anymore, ever since they started testing for steroids,” Grace said. “All of a sudden they’re hitting those same balls they used to hit — and it’s not just Sammy; there’s a lot of guys — those balls that used to go in the second deck are being caught at the track.”

suave1477
03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Wow that is crazy!!

My only thing is it always amazes me how players come forward about other players after the fact!!!

No one ever has balls to come forward during!!!

skyking26
03-27-2006, 01:01 PM
and so many of them have been linked...Locally, look at Pudge Rodrigez. He came to camp last year looking like he hadn't eaten in a month. Skinny. Power numbers all dropped off the page and he said his "chef" was making him different foods or he forgot to eat.. Please...

Nathan
03-27-2006, 01:15 PM
A body can't balloon by 65 pounds over the span of a career? Surely Mark Grace remembers a guy named Mo Vaughn.:D

JimCaravello
03-27-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll say it one more time......Roger Maris still holds the single season home run record in my book...............

suave1477
03-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I do agree with Nathan on that one, Grace is a bit wrong on that to gain 65 pounds over lets say an average span career of 10 years is not really that hard at all and Yes im talking about muscle I have friends who have worked over years and have put close to that on there body of muscle and with out roids.

suave1477
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
To come to think of it a boxer can put that much weight on within about 3 or so years.

Plenty of Boxers go up and down in weight classes within a few years.

trsent
03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Didn't Mark Grace sleep with Ryne Sandberg's wife?

RobSteinmetz
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Rumor had it that it was Raffy Palmeiro and Dave Martinez, not Grace.

trsent
03-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Dang, I am wrong again. I could have sworn it was Gracie. (No, not Harry Caray's wife)

33bird
03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm reading the book right now called, "Juicing the Game" by Howard Bryant. Very well written and very informative. In the book it says, "The crusaders (doctors against roid use) were not convinced that Barry Bonds could weigh 185 pounds as a 21 year old rookie and then weigh 230 with LEANER MUSCLE MASS in his midthirties without DRUGS. It simply wasn't possible medically. The doctors also state that, "For a man at the age of thirty-five has already lost roughly 75 percent of his hormone production. BUT, Growth hormone could, in effect, get the body working at a youthful speed and age again." Sounds like Barry and Sosa doesn't it?
Yes, you definately can get FATTER over the course of your career and weigh more that way, but NOT LEANER with 45 more pounds of muscle in your mid-30's. From 35 on were not even hardly producing hormone at all, so how can you pack on all that weight like Sosa, Mac, and Bonds? Only by JUICING.
Birdie

Yankwood
03-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Harry Caray slept with Augie Busch's wife. This Bud's for you.

otismalibu
03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
To come to think of it a boxer can put that much weight on within about 3 or so years.

Plenty of Boxers go up and down in weight classes within a few years.

I think his name was Buster Douglas.

johnjohn
03-27-2006, 09:47 PM
For The Record, Mark Grace Got Caught Cheating On His Wife About 3 Months Ago. The Funny Thing Is He Caught Her Cheating On Him At The Same Time. The 2 Idiots Both Hired Private Detectives...for Him To Start Talking Trash About Anyone Is A Joke. He's Not A Man He's A Mouse, For You To Talk In The Camera Or The Radio And Not In The Players Face Is A Joke. Not One Player Ever Talks In Another Players Face...they Are All Cowards....and Grace Has Been Talking Bad About Sosa His Whole Career...just Another Prejudice And Racist White Player..yes, I Am White.

suave1477
03-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Ok i wont go as far as saying its racist i just think he has Canseco syndrome ( misses the spotlight )

As far as what the doctors say about now being able to put on muscle mass into your thirties? Again I bring up Boxers as proven fact to put on Muscle mass. How about body builders those guys go way into there 30's and continue to put on Muscle Mass.

I have a friend who in 2 years put on about 30 pounds muscle mass from hard core working out.

But i guess thats why Doctors dont always agree with nutrionists if its not done with drugs its not right WHYYYY bcuz only a doctor can make money off of prescribing drugs.

cjclong
03-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Did Ivan Rodriguez power numbers really "drop off the page"last year? In 2002, his last year with the Rangers in a hitter friendly park he hit 32 doubles and l9 homeruns. In 2003 with the Marlin he hit 36 doubles and 16 homeruns. In 20004 with Detriot he hit 32 doubles and 19 homeruns and in 2005 when his power numbers "dropped off the page" he hit 33 doubles and 14 homeruns. It wasn't his power numbers that were down so much as his rbi's and average. If he had been with Texas last year in a more hitter friendly park he likley would have had homeruns in the 20's. There could be a lot of reasons he didn't have a good year as far as his average and rbi's. The fact that he was going through an unpleasant divorce likley played a big part. But his reduction in weight didn't have have a lot to do with his power numbers, only 2 homeruns less than when he went to he World Series with the Marlins in 2003.

johnjohn
03-28-2006, 10:50 AM
There Is No Question That You Can Put 30 Pounds On In 2 Years Of Muscle Legally With Supplements. If You Think You Cant You Have No Idea What You Are Talking About..its All Nutrition.

skyking26
03-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Tell that to the Detroit area sportscasters who routinally speak about Pudge and his inability to hit for power because he is smaller. The references were made all year about the coincidence of the steroid hearings, etc. and Pudge' weight loss...

sylbry
03-28-2006, 11:29 AM
There Is No Question That You Can Put 30 Pounds On In 2 Years Of Muscle Legally With Supplements. If You Think You Cant You Have No Idea What You Are Talking About..its All Nutrition.

Enlighten us them.

sylbry
03-28-2006, 11:35 AM
For The Record, Mark Grace Got Caught Cheating On His Wife About 3 Months Ago. The Funny Thing Is He Caught Her Cheating On Him At The Same Time. The 2 Idiots Both Hired Private Detectives...for Him To Start Talking Trash About Anyone Is A Joke. He's Not A Man He's A Mouse, For You To Talk In The Camera Or The Radio And Not In The Players Face Is A Joke. Not One Player Ever Talks In Another Players Face...they Are All Cowards....and Grace Has Been Talking Bad About Sosa His Whole Career...just Another Prejudice And Racist White Player..yes, I Am White.

Just because he cheated on his wife means that anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. Give me a break.

Who are you going to believe, Mark Grace who shared a clubhouse with Sosa or Sammy Sosa. If choosing between the two I will take the man who has nothing to lose.

And yes he may have "Canseco Syndrome" but that doesn't mean he is lying. With all that has taken place in the last year I am pretty sure Canseco isn't the one who is doing the lying.

Funny how people bash anyone who tries to speak the alleged truth when he exposes the people who have been doing wrong all along.

cjclong
03-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Maybe the Detriot sportscasters need to check the numbers on Rodriguez as the power numbers have been about the same the last 4 years. No dramatic fall off. Not specualtion, just fact. Sportcasters are capable of being wrong occasionally.