PDA

View Full Version : Cracked game used bat repair

sylbry
03-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I see so many cracked game used bats for sale. I am just wondering why people do not repair them. Most are an easy cosmetic fix with wood glue. Are bats that have been repaired considered less valuable? Can any one offer some insight into why people do not repair them (cosmetically speaking ofcourse.)

STLWSB
03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I would personally rather have a bat that was broken in half glued back together, but if it is not in half, I think it is better to leave the crack, it just shows more use. My mind set is that if a bat is cracked or split the player obviously liked it enough to use it, until it was damaged, making it more valuable to me then one with use but no damage.

Yankwood
03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
I prefer cracked, whether repaired or not. Good repair jobs are great, too. I used to collect uncracked but they usually don't show very much use which always made me wonder why. Now, I look for alot of use and a crack doesn't bother me a bit. If it's about to fall apart or lose pieces, then I'll do something so that they won't.

suave1477
03-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I am not a fan of Badly cracked bats, I prefer heavily used or a slight crack not nothing more. As far as bats with cracks that been repaired I dont like them at all!!!

My thing is why would you repair the Heavy usage on a (meaning a cracked bat ) when the player cracked it to begin with. I would think you would want it that way to show its actual condition of what the player did to it. Your taking it out of its original condition from when the player had it.

The player didnt glue it back why would you?

Yankwood
03-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I thought I stated why, but I'll do it again. If it looks like it might lose pieces or break in half, I'll do something about it.

suave1477
03-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Yankwood when i said why that was a rhetorical question.

I can understnad if its falling apart and for your own collection to keep it together you want to do some minor repairs. I ma just saying in general to any cracked bats why would you fix a crack that the player put there.

Here is an example - If you have a home run ball a player hit and it has the scuff mark on it from the bat making contact would you try to clean it and wash it off with bleach to make it white again NOOOO.

Thats my point!!!

Nathan
03-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Repairing a cracked or broken bat is an issue of debate much like the autograph on a jersey one. Regardless of how tastefully done or well-executed, it still is removing a particular item from its last existing game-used condition.

The reason more people don't repair them is because it may negatively affect the bat's marketability. If 50 people will repair a bat that's been cracked after they purchase it, they'll be willing to buy it cracked or broken. But if you repair it yourself, there are another 50 people who won't touch it due to it being removed from its original last condition.

skyking26
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
When I started collecting gamer bats 25 years ago I would only buy UNCRACKED bats. Just knowing that the bat was cracked, or defective, bothered me. As the pile of bats grew and certain models were scarce for me, if a cracked bat came along I bought it figuring I may never get another chance. In some cases I was right. I am a carpenter by trade. I wince when I see some idiots who have had the audacity to actually drive a tac into the handle to hold a crack together. That is unforgivable. From time to time I will pick a bat out of my rack and take a practice cut with it in my basement. I do not want it sailing in half across the room. Any bat I have that is cracked gets some elmer's clear glue in the crack and is clamped for astetic purposes. In my mind the crack is "still there," and when you buy a cracked bat I believe it should sell for less that uncracked anyway. Personal preference is going to dictate here every time -

1rosefan
03-29-2006, 02:27 AM
I have had a couple of expensive game used bats repaired by a man named Fred Lowman. I is my opinion that he does museum quality work and his fees are reasonable. He can be contacted at: fredlowman@snet.net I have seen some attempts by people who had no idea what they were doing and these usually make the bat look worse. I feel if you want an expensive bat repaired it is best left to professionals. Just my opinion though.

Thanks, Dave. shashi4g@aol.com

suave1477
03-29-2006, 10:14 AM
In my opinion if you have an expensive bat DONT TOUCH IT!!!
You can only make the value go down.!!!

BULBUS
03-29-2006, 10:24 AM
The way I look at it is, if the bat is uncracked, the player gave it away for a reason. Maybe he didnt like the way it felt, maybe it didnt have the right pop. In either case, the bat wont show that much use. I like a bat that has a lot of use and is cracked. It shows me the player liked the bat and used it till he couldnt use it anymore. As far as repairing the crack, it is definitely personal preference. I like the bat repaired on less expensive bats, but like suave said, dont tough the crack on an expensive bat. Leave it in the condition that the player last had it in his hands.

Yankwood
03-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I guess that this is why collecting bats is fun for me. We sift through what we get until it's what we want and then we keep on looking. We all have that visual in our heads of what we want. There was a guy on here a while back who said he looks for bats that are uncracked and very lightly used. Now, for me, that couldn't be further from what I look for but for him that's what works. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. As far as the repairs and whatnot, it would depend on the rarity and how long you have been looking. I have had my eye out for a well used Mattingly T141 for longer than I care to think now. If someone said to me, "I have one with a ton of use that was cracked in a game but the guy who repaired it did a really lousy job", that would have about as much effect on me as the guy who said, "I'm giving you Pam Anderson and Carmen Electra for the night but I must warn you first, they're not very good cooks".

suave1477
03-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Yankwood I am a bit concerned with you as a friend, so are you telling us your going to sleep with this bat????????? lol lol:D

Yankwood remember if you need friends where here for you, you can talk to us!!!

If everything else fails just be carefull of the splinters lol lol:D

1rosefan
03-29-2006, 01:16 PM
When I said I had a couple of expensive bats repaired I wasn't talking about repairing cracks that the player had put on the bat. One of the bats was a beautiful 65-68 Pete Rose S2 with tons of use that some kid had made about 20 nail holes in the end of the barrell. Mr Lowman filled them in and you could hardly tell they were ever there. I should have clarified this in my original post. I too feel that if a bat that was cracked by a player the crack shoud be left alone unless the bat is completely falling apart. Then if it has to be repaired I still feel it is best left to a professional.

Thanks, Dave. shashi4g@aol.com

Yankwood
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Fred has repaired 3 bats for me and although I have never met him I feel like I'm falling in love. If he should ever go to prison, I will be waiting at the gate for his release-probably with a badly cracked bat in my hand.

metsbats
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Yankwood or other members who have dealt w/ Fred Lowman,

I just sent and inquiry to Fred for a quote for a bat which is cleanly split in half. I heard many good things about Fred but is it true that he takes all the pine tar off the bat before the repair ? I don't want this bat clean but just repaired. Someone posted this question but no-one ever responded so I 'm guessing it's NOT true. If it were it wouldn't make any sense.

Thanks
David

33bird
04-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Not true. But sometimes some of the pinetar is lost during the repair. I prefer an uncracked or repaired bat. The thing is, if you look at Taubes bats that he sales they are almost always repaired. Mears will minus points for cracks, deadwood, etc. Cracked bats are an eyesore to me. I don't think it changes the fact the bat was used, etc. It just makes it a bat again. Everything is the same as when it was last used except no ugly crack. I believe bats sell much better without the "flaws", thus most the bats you see for sale from auction houses, Taube, mears, etc. are mostly bats that are UNCRACKED. But, to each his own.
G.Todd

metsbats
04-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the reply G. Todd

Fred indicated that the joints would have to be sanded after the repair so I can see where pine tar may be removed or lost. I always noticed that cracked bats typically sold for less than uncracked bats which is like you say probably why the auction houses and some dealers sell repaired bats. I prefer cracked bats and usually leave them cracked however the bat I just got is in 2 pieces.

-David

island_style
04-13-2007, 05:24 AM
I prefer to keep my cracked bats in the same condition as when I received them whether they are a minor handle crack that lays nicely, crack with separation, deadwood, piece missing, etc. I like to leave them in the condition as when the bat last saw action in a game. If I were to get one of Bo Jackson's bats that he snapped in half over his thigh after a lousy at-bat, I'd certainly keep it in that condition.

This is not to take away from any collector who prefers to have their bats repaired (superstar or not). It's all about personal preference. However, if I ever decided to have a bat repaired, I would not hesitate to contact Fred Lowman based on his recommendations.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

worldchamps
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
FYI I have got bats for the clubhouse that have been glued back together. I have a couple that were cleanly cracked into 2 pieces and the equipment manager/trainer glued them back together.

Another way to look at it is high end collectibles like paintings, furniture, cars, etc are restored, repaired, touched up...and that doesn't effect the value.

If it is a slight crack I would leave it alone. I thought I heard that cracks can get worse over times if they are not addressed? Any one else?

Most importnantly though, no matter how good the repair is, I think it is mandatory that it be disclosed.

Bill

10thMan
04-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Here`s something you may not have considered??? OK, maybe a few have, LOL.

I live 1 Block from the Beach, HUMIDITY varies greatly. It generally causes Cracked Bats to get worse. It also makes it difficult to keep my Humidor in check!

I dont mind leaving most cracked Bats as they are, afterall...That`s how the Athlete left them! Some Bats though just swell & Crack more...

I get Bats repaired occasionally,
Sean

metsbats
04-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the additional feedback.

I never realized extreme humdity changes can make a crack worse.

I actually prefer leaving bats cracked but used to repair every cracked bat I got. I agree with the disclosure of cracked and repaired even when the bat repair was so good you cannot tell it was cracked.

If a bat is in two pieces I prefer to try to make it whole again which is the only time I'll consider repairing a bat nowadays.

David