Grey Flannel Auction-phillies 1995 Dykstra ???????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hblakewolf
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Grey Flannel Auction-phillies 1995 Dykstra ???????

Current offering in the Grey Flannel auction, lot #341 "1995 LENNY DYKSTRA PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES GAME-USED HOME JERSEY.

On the front left tail of the jersey is the "RUSSELL ATHLETIC" manufacturer's size "44" tag with wash instructions. Attached is a "100% POLYESTER" flag tag. Across the front of the jersey is "PHILLIES." Across the back of the jersey is "DYKSTRA." Below that and on the left sleeve is the player number "4." All lettering and numbering is done in red on white tackle twill. On the right sleeve is the "R" Russell logo. The jersey shows game-use and appears to have no alterations of any kind."

The Hobby's premier auction site for game-worn jerseys, graded cards, championship rings, and Hall of Fame autographs.

For the entire 1995 season, the Phillies wore a special sleeve patch celebrating Veterans Stadium's Anniversary. The patch was worn from the first game in 1995 to the final game. Both home and road jerseys featured this patch. Below shows a home and road jersey, and thanks to Murf Denny for providing the shot of the patch (in the middle, Vet Stadium):

Click image for larger version

Name:	phillies 1995.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	721168

Name:	phillies 1995 2.jpg
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	721169

Name:	phillies 1995 patch.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	721170

Note the description in the auction listing, "...no alterations...".

Based on the description and the lack of patch, how can Grey Flannel offer this as a 1995 game worn Dykstra?

An email has been sent to Grey Flannel, seeking answers to the above.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net
  • cohibasmoker
    Banned
    • Aug 2005

Re: Grey Flannel Auction-phillies 1995 Dykstra ???????

There you go - yet another example of a GUF member sitting behind their computer starting trouble.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Comment

• flaco1801
      • Nov 2005

lenny was a hard nosed ball player, a throwback. if i looked at one of his gamers i would expect it to be really worn, not to mention the tobacco juice.

Comment

• cohibasmoker
        Banned
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by flaco1801
        lenny was a hard nosed ball player, a throwback. if i looked at one of his gamers i would expect it to be really worn, not to mention the tobacco juice.
        Something like this?
        Attached Files

Comment

• kingjammy24
          • Nov 2005

the jersey has now been changed to a "1993" gamer which ironically makes it more valuable given that the phillies went to the world series in '93.

rudy.

Comment

• Lokee
            Banned
            • May 2008

it actually matches up pretty good in this getty picture from 1993 using the pinstripe method.

Comment

• kingjammy24
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Lokee
              it actually matches up pretty good in this getty picture from 1993 using the pinstripe method.

that pic is from the 1993 world series. the GFC jersey doesn't have the 1993 world series patch.

rudy.

Comment

• Lokee
                Banned
                • May 2008

Originally posted by kingjammy24
                that pic is from the 1993 world series. the GFC jersey doesn't have the 1993 world series patch.

rudy.
                It still matches up almost stripe for stripe

Comment

• Lokee
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

nevermind

Comment

• kingjammy24
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Lokee
                    It still matches up almost stripe for stripe
                    hence why i never believe "photomatches" that are strictly done from the front and the team logo only. team logos are frequently sewn using the same pinstripe markers. i've seen many pinstriped jerseys where the team logos were sewn in identical places in regards to the pinstripes. for me, a pinstriped jersey isn't really photomatched until you've done the back as well as the front.

rudy.

Comment

• Lokee
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

Rudy,

Thanks for all the knowledge you bring to this forum

Comment

• skyliner59
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2006

Mr. Wolf.

Did GF ever respond or simply wave their magic wand and create a 1993 gamer out of a 1995? Just curious.

Comment

• hblakewolf
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by skyliner59
                          Mr. Wolf.

Did GF ever respond or simply wave their magic wand and create a 1993 gamer out of a 1995? Just curious.

Hi Robert-

This is by no means the first time I've contacted Grey Flannel/Richie Ruzek about a questionable piece of equipment including various Phillies items. As is the norm during the last few years, no response has been sent back to me, however, as with the Dykstra, the item description on their web site or auction site is quickly changed. Not only do I find these continued blunders astonishing , but also the lack of any type of acknowledgement or "thanks" to me or to other Forum readers appalling.

Howard Wolf
                          hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• lund6771
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by hblakewolf
                            Hi Robert-

This is by no means the first time I've contacted Grey Flannel/Richie Ruzek about a questionable piece of equipment including various Phillies items. As is the norm during the last few years, no response has been sent back to me, however, as with the Dykstra, the item description on their web site or auction site is quickly changed. Not only do I find these continued blunders astonishing , but also the lack of any type of acknowledgement or "thanks" to me or to other Forum readers appalling.

Howard Wolf
                            hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard...Does it really suprise you that Ricky has never responded back to you?

I've come by their booth at a few Nationals...(most people there invite you into their booth with a smile and some courtesy)...at Grey Flannel I found them to be arrogant and brash...

and the reason for this attitude is?

Comment

• skyliner59
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2006

There is no need to respond. If they do they may actually be accountable to pay a service fee to Howard and others on this forum for research. Look at things from their point, they purchase or take items on consignment, post them for auction and have fellas on this forum do all the dirty work providing authentication. It keeps their bills low.

Comment

Working...