PDA

View Full Version : Gretzky tagging experts

jhunt28
11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Here is a "game issued" Gretzky jersey, and I haven't been able to find any to compare. Is it possible that he had his own tagging made for his Rangers jerseys? I'm not sure how to post pictures here, so I will include links. The first link is a game worn Leetch jersey from 1998-99 season. The second link is Gretzky jersey from 1998-99. There are obvious differences in the tagging, just wondering if it's possible that the Great One had his own??

Leetch Jersey

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=36&lotid=558

Gretzky Jersey

http://www.bricolsportsauction.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=ItemDetails&UserID=0&Category=0&consignerid=0&CategoryID=142&CategoryName=HOCKEY%20JERSEYS&ItemID=359

BarryMeisel
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi JHunt28,

That Gretzky jersey is not a Game-issued Gretzky, it is a replica with a counterfeit tag.

MeiGray has had an exclusive contract to market the Rangers' game-worn jerseys since 1997, and we have seen these fakes many, many times. Gretzky's real gamers do have special tagging in his jerseys (we advised the Rangers on this tagging method). The tag pictured in this auction attempts to copy, but is not correct. This tag is easily seen by the naked eye as not authentic to anybody who authenticates legit Gretzky jerseys from 1998-99, Gretzky's final season.

Hope this helps,
Barry Meisel, MeiGray

jhunt28
11-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Barry,

Thank you very much for your promt and courteous response. I thought that it looked odd, but then again I usually give the benefit of the doubt to these auction houses sometimes, given I am far from an expert in Rangers memorabilia. The reason I asked was that I was unable to find a Gretzky jersey (assuming they are VERY hard to find), and you have fully answered any and all doubts I had about this. I am baffled still at the amount of counterfeits out there...! Thank you again for your expertise!!

BarryMeisel
11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
You're welcome.
Gretzky jerseys are probably the most faked jerseys in the hockey hobby.

Regards. Barry

Nathan
11-12-2008, 01:13 AM
You're welcome.
Gretzky jerseys are probably the most faked jerseys in the hockey hobby.

Regards. Barry

They have to be; he has ALL of them he ever wore hanging in his closet.:rolleyes:

Since I don't think many on here are familiar with it, do you mind quickly sharing that story with everyone? I've only stood next to Mike Grueber while you were talking with him about it a few years back.