Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

First Game Used Item

Can everyone share their first game used item and how that item, if at all, shaped the theme of your current collection. where did you buy and how much research did you do with your first item compared to your current research practice of game used items.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • shoremen44
    • Jul 2007

Re: First Game Used Item

My first game used item was a bat I got directly from Mickey Tettleton at a game when he was playing with the Orioles...

I still collect Tettleton bats and have been looking for jerseys for a couple of years now...

I havent been collecting all that long other than that first bat, but I have learned alot and am pretty scrupulous now when it comes to items... I have learned much of what I know from fellow form members
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Comment

• murfsteve25
      • Oct 2008

First game used item was a Dmitri Young game used cracked Cincy Reds bat. Shows great use with much tape and a little tar. my dad bought it for me at Redsfest years ago, prolly around 2000 or close to then, not 100% sure. it was only $25 or $50 so he didnt have a problem with buying me the bat. I thought it was the sweetest thing in the world to own something once used by a player.
      My collection was just starting out at that time, I mean i had a few auto baseballs but thats it. My game used collection grew the years after that when i was attending more annual Redsfests. Soon I was buying jerseys, bats, batting gloves, and many other items. I was too young to understand that game used items were available to the public through other ways, but Redsfest was my only way of getting the goods. It was the highlight of my year.
      Always buying David Justice items

Comment

• twinsbb17
        • Jul 2007

Being a lifelong Twins fan since birth, my dad bought me a Pat Meares game used bat when I was 6 or 7. The next item was a Larry Casian game used hat. From then on, our collection has gone from bats to jerseys and spread to Darin Erstad stuff. As my dad's now in heaven, I've had to carry on the collection by myself. I won't sell any of the stuff my dad and I bought as it truly is priceless - yes even a Larry Casian hat!
        Ultimate Collector of Darin Erstad, Nick Blackburn, Michael Restovich, and Twins Game Used Jerseys

Comment

• skyking26
          • Dec 2005

Dave Kingman game used S2 84/85 label Louisville in 88 or 89. I followed that buy ($75) from the same seller a GU 1975 Mets home Kingman jersey same year. I think I paid $350 for the jersey. I had that jersey until last spring (08) when I sold it to buy a 73 Kingman home jersey...

Back in 88 I had hobby pioneer Dave Miedema look at the jerseys and researched Dave's bats myself. Today there are many research tools available courtesy of the internet, etc...
          ROBERT KOPPEL
          Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
          and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• AWA85
            • Jan 2008

I was just a little kid, didn't even know it at the time but I picked up a cracked/autographed bat of Bob Henley while he was with the Burlington Bees. He went on to play one year for the Montreal Expos. Had a good season, not sure what happened to him. The only Pro Stock bat in my collection, think I will hang on to it for awhile.

An Adam Dunn foul ball from new Busch stadium and my Jason LaRue 9/11 helmet are some of my first items that began my game used collection into the obsession it is today!
            Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
              • Sep 2007

Got a Mike Gallego cracked gamer after an A's game back in 1988 or 89 from the equipment manager. later that year got autographed gamer from McGwire and a pair of cleats and a batting glove all autographed by Mac. Ended up selling them back in 1992 cause I was more into girls and cars than baseball. yeah I was dumb

Comment

• geoff
                • Nov 2005

My First was a Spring Training Twins Cracked Game Used Bat Signed By Johan Santana.I bought it from EBAY back in 2005.I since Sold that Bat to a Buddy Last Year.

Comment

• zookerman182
                  • Jul 2007

I bought a Carlos Lee signed Brewers game used bat for $120 back in 2005 after the regular season ended. I thought it was the greatest thing on earth. ($120 was also alot for me to spend on something) That was all it took to get me hooked on game used and officially end my baseball card collecting.
                  Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

sigpic

Comment

• panthrotc
                    • Dec 2005

First Game Used item was a 1990 McGwire CRACKED Gamer with McGwire spelled "McWire" on the barrel. Then in 2002, i got one of those UD cards that let you send something in to Upper Deck to have McGwire Sign. So i sent the 1990 CRACKED Gamer to be signed.

and here it is... Its the bat on TOP

Comment

• yanks12025
                      • Jan 2006

The first game used bat that i got was a 1950-52 Larry (Yogi) Berra bat. I paid $45 for it at a local auction. Did not know it was game used till after a year and then i sold it to Taube.

Comment

• momen55
                        • Aug 2006

1958 "momen" clemente gamer. bought it about 8 years ago when i lived in chicago, from a woman who ended up with it in here divorce settlement. she didn't care about it nor want it, so we agreed a a fair price and there you have it. best piece in my collection.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02391.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	647647

Comment

• Danny899
                          • Apr 2007

The first gamer I collected was a 1989 Rickey Henderson A's jersey. It came with a letter from Dave Miedema and was signed on the front and rear. I began to collect more Henderson jerseys after that from earlier in his career including pullovers and other rare button downs from other teams. So how did it shape the theme of my collecting you ask? I had the wild idea to try to collect a jersey from every year he played which is difficult considering he played 20+ years. So does anyone have a 97 Angels laying around????

PS: Yanks12025, I bet you wish you could have that Berra bat back!

Comment

• cjclong
                            • Feb 2006

My first game used item was a Raphael Palmeiro Louisville Slugger bat I bought on ebay. I knew nothing about how to try to check things out then. Palmeiro was doing a signing in Arlington and I bought a ticket to get the bat autographed. The autograph line was moving fairly fast and then when I got up to the table and handed him the bat everything stopped while he held the bat and carefully looked at and examined it and then asked me where I got it. It was obvious he recognized the bat as one of this (authentication!) I thought Lord, I hope this wasn't stolen out of his locker. I told him on ebay and he signed the bat with no problem. My wife got some good pictures of him holding the bat and talking to me while the line stopped.

Comment

• cjclong
                              • Feb 2006

Its been so long ago I misspelled Rafael.

Comment

Working...