PDA

View Full Version : American Memorabilia, etc auction offerings

EndzoneSports
03-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Forum Members:

Is it just me or has it also occured to others that the overall quality of the material being offered in the 2nd tier auctions such as American Memorabilia, Vintage Authentics and the like, seem to be signiciantly on the decline? Maybe it's too many auction cos. and maybe it's not the best business model to run back-to-back-to-back auctions every 6 weeks ala BRSZ. Whatever the reason may be, it just seems to me that the quality of each auction is becoming more diluted as they scramble to fine that one or two "premium" items in order to headline a catalog of run of the mill pieces.

Am I alone in my perception?

both-teams-played-hard
04-01-2006, 03:23 PM
I agree. I also think it's very funny to see items on eBay end up at the major auction houses in a matter of weeks. Why do some items go back and forth between the auction houses?

trsent
04-01-2006, 03:51 PM
A few possibilities:

1. People buy items and consign them to major auction houses.
2. People have their items shill-bid up and then when they don't get their reserve, they then consign them in a major auction house.
3. The auction houses are so desperate for merchandise they are buying off eBay to put in the auctions.

Can you imagine, rumor here in Las Vegas (which will not be my home come Monday) is that another major auction house will appear by the end of this year or early next year?

otismalibu
04-01-2006, 04:14 PM
I will be offline Sunday April 2nd - Wednesday April 5th as I am relocating.

Is there really any solid proof that Joel is going to be offline during this time period? Saying you're going to be offline and actually being offline are two very different things. Apples & oranges. Why don't we wait until after the 5th and see if this Nostradamus-type prediction will even supported by a lack of Joel. And even if there are posts by trsent, who really knows the identity of the poster. Who's to say it's not a furniture mover just taking advantage of some bookmarks and saved passwords? And shame on all of you for accusing furniture movers of going thru Joel's personal belongings. It can hardly be a surprise to any of us that more furniture movers don't post here...the way they get flamed for possibly "borrowing" Joel's computer and possibly posting here at a future date, that was, in theory, going to be Joel-free.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

trsent
04-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I have good news, my computer will be in my car, no need to fear - It will not leave my possession.