PDA

View Full Version : Questionable David Ortiz GU item on Historic Auctions

gameused
11-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Take a look at the David Ortiz batting gloves pictured on the left from Historic Auctions. The "L" Louisville logo is larger and the wrist strap with TPX has a border/outline around it, also "Big Papi" is sewn right into the wrist area, the batting gloves I just got from 2008 on the right had a small patch with "Big Papi #34" printed on and that was then sewn into the wrist area. http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...ctionid/46421/ (http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...ctionid/46421/)

I checked a sporting good website and they are selling the exact glove, that Historic has. I doubt that Ortiz would wear these cheap $19.95 gloves, they would not last and TPX would only send him the best they have. Let me know what you guys think, I'd definitely stay away from these gloves as anyone could buy a pair bring it to a embroidery shop and say they are Ortiz gloves. Oh yeah, another red flag, the gloves are authenticated by "Lou Lampson"

Thanks, Bobby

http://www.baseballrampage.com/Baseball//Batting_Gloves/129/129/82/1159/BG25_TPX_Pro_Design_Series.html

allstarsplus
11-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Wow. That is great work!!!! You should send that to Historic as you would hope they pull the item.

gameused
11-18-2008, 12:24 AM
I will forward the pics to Historic, hopefully they do the right thing. Also, I remember someone mentioned that a former partner of ASI or Elite Sports Marketing is now running Historic Auctions, is this true?

Heres some 2008 photos of Ortiz with the black/white TPX batting gloves.

kingjammy24
11-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Also, I remember someone mentioned that a former partner of ASI or Elite Sports Marketing is now running Historic Auctions, is this true?

a long time ago, ASI was co-owned/operated by brad wells and scot monette. they parted ways and brad continued to run ASI changing the official name from authentic sports investments to authentic sports incorporated or some such nonsense and scot opened up ESM. later on, brad got the brilliant idea that he could start an auction house so he opened up historic. then he got an even sharper idea and decided that in addition to "consigning" his own items into his own auction house, he could also authenticate his own items so he opened up "expert sports authentication" which thankfully died a quick death. (imagine the consigner, auction house owner, and authenticator all being the same person! in his brief role as "head authenticator" (giggity) for expert sports authentication brad was unable to tell the difference between a retail tagging and pro tagging.) brad was a sharp little man for trying to capitalize on auction house premiums for his items, which might've otherwise been sold via ASI on ebay, and keeping all of the money in-house while raising almost every conflict of interest imaginable but trying to do it under the guise that all of the entities were independent. brad then got a fellow by the name of james brown (not the hardest working man in show business) to run historic. even though brad's name was the only one plastered all over the business registration documents, james brown denied brad had anything to do with it. the two couldn't even get their stories straight. brad left for a little while and then went back. i'm not sure he ever truly left. historic, in my opinion, has always been ASI's little auction house. historic, like ASI, is a brad wells production, directed by brad wells, starring brad wells. if folks think historic has unprecedented mountains of garbage, they need only look to the man running it. brad also currently runs ASI.

after each historic auction ends, it's amusing to see how many of the same items later end up being listed by ASI on ebay. as if all of the winning bidders magically sold their items to ASI right after the auction ended.

rudy.

trsent
11-18-2008, 01:30 AM
a long time ago, ASI was co-owned/operated by brad wells and scot monette. they parted ways and brad continued to run ASI changing the official name from authentic sports investments to authentic sports incorporated or some such nonsense and scot opened up ESM. later on, brad got the brilliant idea that he could start an auction house so he opened up historic. then he got an even sharper idea and decided that in addition to "consigning" his own items into his own auction house, he could also authenticate his own items so he opened up "expert sports authentication" which thankfully died a quick death. (imagine the consigner, auction house owner, and authenticator all being the same person! in his brief role as "head authenticator" (giggity) for expert sports authentication brad was unable to tell the difference between a retail tagging and pro tagging.) brad was a sharp little man for trying to capitalize on auction house premiums for his items, which might've otherwise been sold via ASI on ebay, and keeping all of the money in-house while raising almost every conflict of interest imaginable but trying to do it under the guise that all of the entities were independent. brad then got a fellow by the name of james brown (not the hardest working man in show business) to run historic. even though brad's name was the only one plastered all over the business registration documents, james brown denied brad had anything to do with it. the two couldn't even get their stories straight. brad left for a little while and then went back. i'm not sure he ever truly left. historic, in my opinion, has always been ASI's little auction house. historic, like ASI, is a brad wells production, directed by brad wells, starring brad wells. if folks think historic has unprecedented mountains of garbage, they need only look to the man running it. brad also currently runs ASI.

after each historic auction ends, it's amusing to see how many of the same items later end up being listed by ASI on ebay. as if all of the winning bidders magically sold their items to ASI right after the auction ended.

rudy.

Rudy, interesting history lesson. It would be neat to see a list of items "sold" in Historic Auctions then sold by ASI on eBay after the auction ended. I would think if there is an investigation into shill bidding going on by a higher power, they would find such facts very interesting.

By the way, the link above to the Historic Auctions lot has the following message:

** WARNING **

It has been determined that the site linking to ours may have unverified statements posted on it and therefore we have blocked direct linking into our site. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We encourage you to browse our site from the link below or contact us (http://www.historicauctions.com/contact/) if you have any questions.

I find it funny, this web page is copyright 2005 Historic Auctions. I would think they would have updated their copyright as it is almost 2009 in around 45 days or so.

gameused
11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Rudy,

Thanks for the info on Historic Auctions.
I e-mailed the photos to Historic this morning. The Gloves are still up for bidding this evening, well see what happens.

Thanks, Bobby

momen55
11-18-2008, 11:35 PM
i questioned the alomar helmet and it is still there. hey man, if they can find a sap to buy there stuff, they will keep doing it. those guys don't care about anyone's opinions here!
all they are concerned about is $$$!

kingjammy24
11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
..if they can find a sap to buy there stuff, they will keep doing it. those guys don't care about anyone's opinions here!
all they are concerned about is $$$!

i think you just came up with Historic's new slogan. you just need to pair it with a catchy little ditty.

rudy.

gameused
11-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Just checked Historic Auctions and they removed the Ortiz batting gloves, no response to my e-mail message that I sent them. At least they did the right thing.

Bobby

allstarsplus
11-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Great news and good work!