PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Jevon Kearse Gators jersey

gatorcollector
11-21-2008, 08:21 PM
If anybody was planning on bidding on this (http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=19318), you might want to hold off to see if I get a response to this e-mail. I'll let the e-mail explain the issues with this jersey. I'll post if I get a response. The top photo is 1996, the bottom is 1997.

Gentlemen,

I am writing to you in reference to Lot #555, the circa 1996 Florida Gator game used jersey. I am a long-time collector of Florida Gator jerseys and I have some concerns about this one that I would like to share with you.

My first concern is the tagging. Beginning in 1995, the tagging was in the collar. The tagging on the hem of your jersey is indicative of that found on early 90's jerseys. See the attachments for a 1996 picture of Kearse wearing a jersey with no tag in the hem.

My second concern is the style of jersey. Kearse was at Florida from 1996-1998. Florida wore Reebok in '98, so that leaves 96 and 97. However, in 1997 the Gators wore a one year style of jersey featuring vertical stripes. The stripes were not colored, they were woven into the fabric. See the attachments for an example of what I mean. It's pretty clear from your photos of your jersey that this is not a 1997 jersey.

My third concern is the orange dot in the collar. I also have a blue Gator jersey with the same orange dot in the collar. Earlier this year I had an opportunity to have my jersey signed by former Gator wide receiver Chris Doering. I asked him about it, and he told me that meant it was a practice jersey.

In summary, I believe that the jersey in your auction is an early 90's practice jersey that has had a nameplate attached to make it appear to be a Kearse gamer. If you have evidence to the contrary, I am definitely open to another point of view. Please know that I am not alleging any wrongdoing on your part. I have previously won an item from you and generally have confidence in your items. It just so happens that this falls into my area of "expertise" and wanted to give you an opportunity to explain why this jersey is in fact a 1996 Jevon Kearse game used jersey.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your reply.

dcgreg25
11-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Great post gatorcollector! While I was not looking at the jersey, I certainly learned something from your post and hopefully Gray Flannel does the right thing and looks into this situation further. Its posts like this that make this place so valuable!

RKGIBSON
11-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I had this along with 2 other Gator jerseys sent to me to examine and possibly buy. This is the only one I did not buy for the reasons you give. Here are some better pictures that I took. I was told that it was sourced from the old Eq Manager. The other jerseys were good and photo matched.

Roger

gatorcollector
11-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Got a response from Grey Flannel today. Here it is:

This shirt was obtained directly from a former equipment manager from Florida University along with 50 or so common players. I thank you for your email and information and we will look into it.

Roger, do you think the Grey Flannel jersey is the same one you were offered?

RKGIBSON
11-25-2008, 09:19 AM
It's the same jersey. The mesh on the body is different on game jerseys also. This practice jerseys is a fine mesh almost like the tear away jerseys. The game jerseys have a alternating mesh pattern like my Taylor. This Taylor was in the group that GF obtained. It is photo matched by repairs to the Arkansas game. I also sent it down to Taylor and had him autograph it for me. He says he does not even have a Gator shirt. I am sure GF got the shirt from the same source. They had probably 20 at the same time, a lot without names.

Roger

gatorcollector
11-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Your Taylor is a good example of the one year style they wore in 97. You can clearly see the striped pattern. There should be a 97 and the Starter tag in the cowl, right?

RKGIBSON
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Your right, photo attached of the Taylor tag.

Also of the Peterson jersey I bought at the same time.

Roger

gatorcollector
11-26-2008, 06:22 AM
The jersey has been pulled from the auction. Kudos to Grey Flannel!