Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slidekellyslide
    • Aug 2005

Let's See Some Recent Acquisitions

We need more show and tell here. I picked up 12 pennants yesterday at the local antique mall...5 were baseball...two really nice Kansas City A's, 3 Bazooka pennants...a Wm Volker Tiger Cubs Pennant??? What is that? Anyone know? and the rest were all NFL c1970's pennants.

• jwasserman
    • Feb 2006

Re: Let's See Some Recent Acquisitions

Wm. Volker was a manufacturing company out of Kansas, MO. A lot of their buildings still stand and have been converted to high class offices and condos. I'm guessing it was just their factory team
    http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...n/game%20used/
    http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/wassermj/Neshek/

Comment

• slidekellyslide
      • Aug 2005

Thanks Jamie...I tried Google and couldn't find anything...That makes sense since there were two A's, and Two Chiefs pennants in the lot I bought.

Comment

• jwasserman
        • Feb 2006

Here's a few of my pick-ups. I also managed to complete a 30 year run of Red Sox schedules (1977-2006). I'm trying to go back to 1943- the year my dad was born.
        Attached Files
        http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...n/game%20used/
        http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/wassermj/Neshek/

Comment

• pietraynor
          • Nov 2005

Not a major find, but did acquire 13 of the 24 '69 Topps Team Posters at an estate auction Friday..I always liked these, bright colors, several star players pictured on most-make great display items..Slide, those are some great KC pennants!
          Attached Files

Comment

• mjkm90
            • Nov 2005

Some additions to my pinback collection and a Cubs pennant. I'm particularly excited about the Red Sox pin C 1910. It was in a strange place on ebay and a real bargain for $9.00. P. Muchinsky said he doesn't have it, which makes it scarce in my book.
            Attached Files
            Mike H

Comment

• slidekellyslide
              • Aug 2005

Mike, nice pickup....I've never seen the Red Sox pinback before. A steal at $9. Interesting that around 1910 the whole country was using that prase "Oh You"...it was quite a phenomenon for the time considering that there was no radio or TV. I love that Orange Cubbies pinback also.

Comment

• vintagesportscollector
                • Nov 2005

Like the pins A LOT mike. Nice assortment. I think the Red Sox pin is huge pickup for only $9.

Comment

• mjkm90
                  • Nov 2005

Thanks fellas. I was leaving on vacation during that auction and had to bid with four days to go. I was certain someone would snipe it (I do a bit of that from time to time). It closed for with no additional bids. It has a paper perfections cigarette ad on the back. The others are all ebay pickups as well.
                  Mike H

Comment

• slidekellyslide
                    • Aug 2005

Are you moving your focus to pinbacks or have you been collecting them a while now?

Comment

• vintagesportscollector
                      • Nov 2005

Here is my most recent add. Pretty excited about it. It's only the 2nd cadet collar uni with detachable sleeves that I have seen anywhere in the past 5 years.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• MGHProductions
                        • Oct 2005

I'm a bat guy, but with Gehrig gloves being as rare as they are I had to have it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• vintagesportscollector
                          • Nov 2005

Wow! Love the Gehrig glove. Can you tell us a little bit more about where it came from?

Comment

• mjkm90
                            • Nov 2005

I've picked up pinbacks here and there for quite a while, but I've been looking for them a bit more over the past year. I like the look, variety, and value of them. I believe there are a lot of bargains in pinbacks when you consider the scarcity relative to cards. Every year or two I seem to glom onto some niche I didn't focus on before. I like variety in my collection and enjoy learning about new areas.

My true love will always be bats however.

That is a GREAT Gehrig mitt. I love gloves also, but have peared my collection down from 150 to 50 or so. I still pick up nice gloves when I find them, but avoid the marginal gloves. There was a time where anything pre 1970 would go into the collection...ha ha.
                            Mike H

Comment

• slidekellyslide
                              • Aug 2005

I'm the same way with my collection...I like variety because I like to display items, and it's a much more interesting display to see variety....as far as adding gloves goes I'm still not picky enough I guess...I still like "old", but when I was offered this lot last thursday for $75 I couldn't say no.

Some highlights in the lot are a Johnny Pesky Rawlings model and an extremely nice Mantle MM9 Model with no ink on it and in almost like new condition. I haven't identified the team on the ball yet...It's a Giles NL ball with Don Cardwell....most of the other names I can't make out.

Comment

Working...