PDA

View Full Version : Pedroia/Ellsbury Bat on eBay

matt
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I have been pondering this bat for a little while and thought I would see if others had done any research since it is an interesting item. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130270264989

Interesting fact number 1 is that Steiner and MLB holos list this as a Pedroia bat, though it was broken on 9/10/08 by Ellsbury. This is the 3rd time I have seen Steiner and MLB list an item in their databases simply based on the name on the bat, NOT who used it. Seems like the authenticator guys simply show up later and log stuff.

I am pretty sure Pedroia never used the bat at all, since I there is no Pedroia-style pine tar over the centerbrand and it looks like he used the usual black M9 in all at bats in September. I may have missed it on video, so someone feel free to correct me.

However, Ellsbury used this style of bat in August and again in this game on 9/10 when he went 1 for 7 in a miserable 14 inning loss to the Rays at Fenway (huge momentum-killer of a game if you recall). This does not seem to be one of the bats I can photomatch to the August games, so it may well have been used just in this 9/10 game (he sat out the 2 previous games).

Anyway, the bid is now up to $449 and it may be a good buy for someone desperate for an Ellsbury bat. However, I think the MLB holo and Steiner LOA confuse the matter and am dubous that Pedey ever used it in a game.

If anyone learned more about this bat, let me know.

Matt

yanks12025
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Thats alot of money for a Pedroia/Ellsbury bat. I think their prices will be just like Robinson Cano bats 2 years ago. They were high but then fell down after one bad year.

kellsox
11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I have the same model bat with Ellsbury's number written over Pedroia's. It does not show any Pedroia use characteristics. I'm confident it was used by Ellsbury and not by Pedroia. As for comparing Ellsbury and Pedroia to Cano, there seems to be plenty of canos on the market but Ellsbury is tight with his bats and Pedroia has a WS ring/ROY award and MVP under his belt. Does anyone have evidence of Pedroia using the 2 toned M9 in a game this year?
Kelly