PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Numbers on Bats

Swoboda4
12-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I personally would not collect a game used bat that did not have a sharpie type uniform number of the player marked at either the top or bottom. That's just my preference. Likewise, I wouldn't obtain a bat that estimates to be well used but at the bottom of the handle(or top of barrel) looks to have a FRESH looking sharpie number (not appropriately worn as the rest of the bat). I've recently noticed on some ebay bats sandpapered ends with a fresh sharpie number affixed. More than likely a genuine issued bat but used by another player with that number needing to be removed. This post is the result of me observing many of these examples recently,and for your hobby information.

Kid4hof03
12-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree with you about the fresh markings.

The other issue of not collecting bats that don't have a uniform number or someting written is tough. There are players that do not write anything on the knob or barrell. It's pretty easy to find photographic evidence of players these days, not so much for photo matches but to recognize tendencies, preferences, etc. I personally think that the way the bat is prepared and the kind of use it shows is more tell tale than what is or isn't written on the knob or end.

AWA85
12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I agree there are certain players such as Ken Griffey Jr I believe who never have anything on his bats number wise. This may have been different in the start of his career, but it seems a majority of his bats have nothing. Just makes you have to research and know the other characteristics of a player before making a purchase.

harpt
12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I believe Jeter is another one. Nothing usually written on the knob of his bats.

5kRunner
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I have a bat where the knob end looks like it may have been sanded. I always wondered if that was the case, but felt it was unlikely because its not a "high dollar" bat. If that is what happened, the person who did it may doubled their money and made a $30 bat into a $60 bat. The number on the barrel end could match, but its partially worn off.

Unfortunately, until I find a bat to replace this one in my collection I have to settle for not knowing the truth.

BULBUS
12-05-2008, 10:45 AM
As a Yankees collector, it seems that none of the established players put numbers or anything on their bats. You won't see a legit Jeter, Posada, O'Neill, Bernie, or Arod with a number on the knob. I fugure they have spots in the bat racks and they remember the location or their names are labeled???

Swoboda4
12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I believe there ARE game used bats,especially today,that don't have numbers on them. And I would guess it's a way of preventing theft for big time players,like Clemens who choses to take the labels off his G/U jerseys. I'm not versed in the area of players who wish to not have numbers on them.
I'm just addressing those who do (which is my preference for collecting for it adds another dimension against fraud and a check towards authenticity.
Again,just my preference. And within that preference a worn bat SHOULD have a worn top or bottom and if the bat is old enough also a faded marker number to go with it. I don't see a clubhouse guy caring to sand the bottom down for a new player's number. Marker ink on wood penetrates pretty good.

harpt
12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
The other thing you sometimes see is a number totally blacked out with marker and then a new number written on top of that with silver paint (or something similar). I am sure there are legit reasons for this, but it would be a pretty easy fake job for a shifty, bad guy.

cohibasmoker
12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Don Mattingly used to put retired players numbers on the knobs of his bats. I personally owned a couple of these bats.

Jim

BULBUS
12-05-2008, 12:06 PM
The sanding might be from the factory?? After the bat is turned on the lathe, the piece of wood that the lathe holds onto is removed, then sanded. If BHM (Brian) reads this, maybe he can chime in?

Swoboda4
12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I rather see the blacked out number and the new player's # next to it. Because that's what the clunhouse guy or player would do. They don't have time to make a science project out of it.