PDA

View Full Version : Lampson-what Could You Be Thinking?

hblakewolf
04-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Forum Readers-
Just when you think it can't get any crazier, take a look at this current Broadway Rick's item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Game-Used-Luzinski-Phillies-Jersey-LOA-Lampson_W0QQitemZ8789900436QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

It is being sold as a Greg Luzinski 1976 Phillies road gamer.

There could not be more problems with this jersey, including:
1. The Phillies wore Wilson in 1976. Likewise, the only wore Wilson brand from 1949-1986, with one exception being in 1979 when they wore maroon jerseys made by Rawlings.
2. Name on back should be on a plate
3. Tagging is not even close.

Why am I even documenting these issues, when the simple fact is that the Phillies did not EVER wear Rawlings in 1976! NEVER.

I am attaching a few photos of my 1976 road Luzinski for you to compare. Note, that my jersey has all of the usual charateristics found on a real 1976, or for that matter, Phillies gamer from this era:
1.Name on a plate, not directly sewn on back
2.Tagging/embroidery in the collar, not tail
3.Sleeve patches intact

Considering Lampson has written LOA's on Orioles green St. Patrick's jerseys that were never worn, why am I surprised to see him slap a LOA on this?

Eric, I have contacted Broadway Rick on this, however, like all of my emails to him on items in question, I have not heard back. Likewise, if someone can provde me with a contact address, phone number or email for Lampson, I'll be more than happy to also follow with him.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
04-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Forum readers-
After sending another email to Broadway Rick's, still no answer.

It's quite sad to believe some individual will actuall win this and think they have a gamer from the Bull!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bat_master
04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Dear readers:

I'm not normally one to comment on these findings, but after I looked at the auction I found one particular sentence in the LOA very amusing. I hope the winner finds it equally amusing. Toward the end of the LOA Mr. Lampson states: "Given the outline presence of the rare Liberty Bell Bicentennial Patch, the elaborate tagging, the presence of the pants and the immediate family's provenance, it would be safe to assume that Luzinski used the uniform at some point during that 1976 season."

Is this for real? Safe to assume? Do we really want to buy something in which we are "safe to assume" that the item was really used? I can't believe an LOA would actually say that.

It's almost like buying a car that has a letter from a mechanic saying that because the car has gas in it, a reciept from the gas station attendant, AND an extra set of keys...that it would be safe to assume that the car actually runs. Ridiculous.

Just my two and a half cents...

Tim Byington

lefty32
04-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Guys, i'm new to the forum so take it easy on me.
As a matter of fact I know Greg Luzinski pretty well. I happened to take a print out of the Lampson jersey and auction info to Greg on opening day at Citizens Bank Park here in Philly. He could not confirm it was his and seemed just as confused about the Rawlings tag as he always wore Wilson.
I believe the jersey got over $1,500, goes to show how much juice a "well-respected" dealer can get on something that couldn't be verified as real.

Eric
04-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Guys, i'm new to the forum so take it easy on me.
As a matter of fact I know Greg Luzinski pretty well. I happened to take a print out of the Lampson jersey and auction info to Greg on opening day at Citizens Bank Park here in Philly. He could not confirm it was his and seemed just as confused about the Rawlings tag as he always wore Wilson.
I believe the jersey got over $1,500, goes to show how much juice a "well-respected" dealer can get on something that couldn't be verified as real.

Lefty-
Welcome to the forum. That's a pretty interesting post. It's rare that we can get a player's perspective on this stuff.
Thanks for the info.
Eric

hblakewolf
04-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Next time you see Greg at the ball park, ask him if he remembers wearing the maroon "Saturday Night Specials" in 1979. Likewise, remind him that these were made by Rawlings!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
04-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Next time you see Greg at the ball park, ask him if he remembers wearing the maroon "Saturday Night Specials" in 1979. Likewise, remind him that these were made by Rawlings!

Howard, my smart money is on The Bull not remembering something that may be important to you and I, but to a player he didn't think about what patches were on his jerseys and what years, etc.

They just didn't care. They were paid to hit baseballs. Oh wait, The Bull was only paid to hit baseballs, most other Major League players are paid to hit and field baseballs.