PDA

View Full Version : CC Goes to NYC (Bronx)

allstarsplus
12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
What recession? The Yankees it is rumored will get CC Sabathia in a 7 year deal with per year dollars near ARod!!! $160 million over the 7 years ($22.9 million per year).

Here's my thought when it comes to the Yankees on this deal. You bring in CC who had his best season with 19 wins in 2007. If he wins 20 games he has merely replaced the 20 wins that Mussina gave the Yankees in 2008 so it is a net net "no change".

How are they going to get the players to get them another 7 to 10 wins next year?

dcgreg25
12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
This is an interesting signing by the Yankees. Both the Indians and Brewers abused CC driving up his innings and pitch counts. While he is still relatively young, he has a ton of innings on his arm and has struggled in some big games, although he seemed to overcome that with the Brewers. He is coming off two excellent years and with his size he may be able to hold up to all of the innings as he does not have a history of arm problems.

All of that being said, it will be interesting to see how this goes for the Yankees in the later years of the contract. I have no doubt CC will help them get to the postseason in the next couple years but this is a long commitment to make to a pitcher. Of the handful of teams that could "afford" to sign him, the Yankees clearly needed him the most.

costas
12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't sign with any team with a media like this :rolleyes:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/12/09/gal_backpage_1209.jpg

costas
12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
the media probably would love for the Yankees to get Peavy also so if they introduce both him and Sabathia on the same conference day, the back pages will probably read "Jake and the Fat Man"

encinorick
12-10-2008, 12:10 PM
The question is who will be going to go to the games in the New Yankee Stadium? Good tickets will be sold at $2,500 a pop per game, per seat.

Who will pay those prices, the hedge fund guys? the banks? Nay, they're gone, gone, gone. Close to 400,000 financial jobs will be lost at the end of this month, many more will be laid-off as a consequence.

The Stadium is leveraged to the hilt.

Perhaps Hank can ask Obama and Congress for some of that bail-out money.

Yankees will be in the red (if they aren't already) and in the middle of the division this Spring of 2009. Revenue will drop just like the Dow and they'll be handing out "welfare cheese" and a complimentary drink for anyone who can afford to watch a bunch of old fat guys play in the Stadium that Ruth didn't build.

BULBUS
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
The question is who will be going to go to the games in the New Yankee Stadium? Good tickets will be sold at $2,500 a pop per game, per seat.

Who will pay those prices, the hedge fund guys? the banks? Nay, they're gone, gone, gone. Close to 400,000 financial jobs will be lost at the end of this month, many more will be laid-off as a consequence.

Yankees will be in the red (if they aren't already) and in the middle of the division this Spring of 2009. Revenue will drop just like the Dow and they'll be handing out "welfare cheese" and a complimentary drink for anyone who can afford to watch a bunch of old fat guys play in the Stadium that Ruth didn't build.

Someones got visions of sugar plums dancing in their head :D The fact is, as long as the Yankees are winning, the fans are going to come out and watch. There arent that many 2500 dollar seats that you will see empty seats.

And with a rotation of CC, Wang, Joba, Hughes (who is looking good and will be a very good major league pitcher), and either Lowe, Burnett, Sheets, or, Pettitte, they will be on top when all is said and done.

Tampa will finish third at best.

ndevlin
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Money doesnt buy happiness. I hope/bet he does horrible.

dcgreg25
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
the media probably would love for the Yankees to get Peavy also so if they introduce both him and Sabathia on the same conference day, the back pages will probably read "Jake and the Fat Man"

costas, great line!

yanks12025
12-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Yankees are damned if they do, damned if they dont. We can never win with other teams. But if another team signed CC they would have made the greatest move in the history of the game. But once the yankees get him its a bad move and everything.

The yankees make alot of money and they have every right to spend it on what they want. If the red sox's sign Tex, no one will be saying anything about them. When they do the same thing(buy players), they dont need a first basemen.

Also the only seats that are $2,500 at yankee stadium are the ones right behind home plate. Tickets to opening day are only around $240(which aint that much). You can then get tickets around $20-$45. Not much change since last year.

suave1477
12-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Hedgefund Guys??? Banks???

Its not the individuals or the 400,000 that you mentioned that paid for them to begin with.

The corporations buy them and give them out and the tickets are already pre-sold from a long time ago. Teams don't just go and build stadiums with hoping someone buys tickets in the furture.
The Yankees had these tickets pre sold way in advance so no matter how bad the economy goes in the near future the tickets are already sold and the seats will be filled.
Especially for the opening season, for the left over seats people will find a way to get the money to say they were there at the New Stadium in its first season.

FastLane80
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm just glad the Dodgers didn't sign him. From what I've heard, the Yankees fan already don't like him becasue he folds under pressure. There's not any place in the majors where the pressures to succeed are felt more than in New York. Time will only tell and I hate wishing for someone to fail but I've got this Dodger Blue running through my veins...I'm sure you understand ;) :p

costas
12-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Daily News states that

"Sources told the Daily News that the seven-year, $160 million contract that CC Sabathia will sign with the Yankees will contain an opt-out clause that will allow the lefthander to become a free agent after the first three years of the contract."

allstarsplus
12-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Daily News states that

"Sources told the Daily News that the seven-year, $160 million contract that CC Sabathia will sign with the Yankees will contain an opt-out clause that will allow the lefthander to become a free agent after the first three years of the contract."

That's interesting. Doubtful his contract then is a straightline of 7 years at $22.9 million as you would expect they did the bigger dollars that will be paid at the back-end of the 7 year deal.

allstarsplus
12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
That's interesting. Doubtful his contract then is a straightline of 7 years at $22.9 million as you would expect they did the bigger dollars that will be paid at the back-end of the 7 year deal.

Buster Olney just said no deferred back-end on the deal. Straightline at $161 million with a 3 year player opt-out.

eisenreich8
12-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Add me to the chorus of doomsayers. Red Sox will take the division despite the torrent of cash spent by George Jr. & his minions.

geoff
12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I knew all along he was going to go there.I would play for the Yankees for that much Money also.

costas
12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
you'd think with all that money he'd go and fix his teeth.

eisenreich8
12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
you'd think with all that money he'd go and fix his teeth.

They can't get him to stop chewing food long enough to evaluate his orthodontic needs.

allstarsplus
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Yankees have offered A.J. Burnett a 5 year deal!!!! Stay tuned!

encinorick
12-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Suave: "Pre-paid?" If there's no money, the checks will bounce, bounce, bounce just like a baseball going through Derek Jeter's legs.

New York City's only source of income is the money centered banks, hedge-funds, and those other sub-prime corporate thugs that mugged millions of homeowners.

In case you haven't been reading the NY Times, the world's financial center of the world has moved from Wall Street to Washington DC.

Real Sports did a story awhile ago and interviewed a number of old Yankee season ticket holders who couldn't pay the new prices ($2,500 per seat, per game, just like Jack Nicholson tickets at a Laker game).

Hank, Jr. said too bad, the corporate types will pick-up the tab. Yeah, just wait until Spring.

"Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy...." Hey, Jeter here it comes, ooops, sorry.

suave1477
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Suave: "Pre-paid?" If there's no money, the checks will bounce, bounce, bounce just like a baseball going through Derek Jeter's legs.

New York City's only source of income is the money centered banks, hedge-funds, and those other sub-prime corporate thugs that mugged millions of homeowners.

In case you haven't been reading the NY Times, the world's financial center of the world has moved from Wall Street to Washington DC.

Real Sports did a story awhile ago and interviewed a number of old Yankee season ticket holders who couldn't pay the new prices ($2,500 per seat, per game, just like Jack Nicholson tickets at a Laker game).

Hank, Jr. said too bad, the corporate types will pick-up the tab. Yeah, just wait until Spring.

"Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy...." Hey, Jeter here it comes, ooops, sorry.

Encino

"PRE PAID" Which means already paid for

New York City's only source of Income????????????

ARE YOU SERIOUS????

As far as the old tickets holders they have been being pushed out for a while now and the corp moguls have already started in.

ARE YOU FROM NEW YORK? HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO NEW YORK?

yanks12025
12-11-2008, 02:42 PM
The only tickets that are $2,500 are tickets right behind home plate and in the luxury boxes. Tickets are only $40 in the Tier.

encinorick
12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Born in Brooklyn and left with the Dodgers. A good thing too.

Watch the whole intereview, thousands and thousands of seats for $2,500 and thereabouts. Hank Jr.'s rationale? He said he's pissed-off that season ticket holders auction their tickets on ebay, or sell to ticket brokers, for big bucks, so why not eliminate the middle-man and make the season ticket holder pay full price.

And "forgetta 'bout' the box seats.

But its all a "House of Cards," just like the rest of Wall Street. Leveraged to the Hilt. Pretty soon Hank will be asking Obama and Pelosi for a bail-out. A billion here, a billion there, it's only money. After all it's the Yankees how can we not save the Yankees?

2009 World Series: Dodgers v. D-Rays, Dodgers in six.

AWA85
12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Tickets are only $40 in the Tier.

Wow.....:eek:

BULBUS
12-12-2008, 09:34 AM
2009 World Series: Dodgers v. D-Rays, Dodgers in six.

Thats pretty funny :D

encinorick
12-12-2008, 03:56 PM
ok, in five. :p

yanks12025
12-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Burnett will be joining CC. It looks like he just signed with the yankees for 5 years. I dont know why Cashman makes these stupid moves. Can't wait till im the GM of the yankees.

markize
12-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Burnett will be joining CC. It looks like he just signed with the yankees for 5 years. I dont know why Cashman makes these stupid moves. Can't wait till im the GM of the yankees.

when that happens, let me know.......i would be happy to be an employee of yours working in the brand new game used memorabilia collection/marketing/verification department :D .

mark

allstarsplus
12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Yankees have offered A.J. Burnett a 5 year deal!!!! Stay tuned!

Done deal. Looks like the Yankees have figured out quickly how they can win 95 games in 2009. SPEND THE MONEY!!!

skyking26
12-12-2008, 08:42 PM
The Tigers have proven that going out and spending big bucks does not always have positive endings.

And we have the last place 08 Tigers...