PDA

View Full Version : HOF = Real GU Items?

beantown
12-10-2008, 06:44 PM
A recent thread asked the question why wasn't the Hall of Fame contacted regarding item "A" in question...they can be a great sort of reference.

Although this may be true, has anyone ever questioned the authenticity of an item at one of the Hall of Fames?

I went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame last year and took pictures of many items… afterwards I thought that maybe some of the items were not likely "game used" (my opinion).

Here are my thoughts and by no means am I an expert, but I would love to have “Aeneas01” chime in as he is the helmet expert…

Bradshaw Max Pro Helmet - wrong facemask, # font, warning sticker, “Max Pro” front bumper, no Max Pro or kineomatic 21 inside decals on the rear of the helmet…

Staubach Max Pro Helmet- I never saw Staubach wear a helmet with the “Max Pro” front bumper???

I hate to be cynical, but I could see the Hall of Fame (any sport) contacting one of the teams and asking for a players specific item…the team in turn tells the equipment manager to send the item and replica of that item is sent…does that sound crazy?

Has anyone else seen items at one of the Hall of Fames that they thought didn’t “look right”?

kingjammy24
12-10-2008, 06:58 PM
from what i understand, the four major HOFs get most of their items directly from the teams/players. i imagine it's probably an honor for a team or player to have their item displayed there so the odds of them deliberately donating a bad item is probably slim. after all, the HOF just asks but it can't really demand. i remember bonds saying he'd donate some items but not the ones the HOF specifically requested. i think the issue here may be whether the HOF acquires some of its items from auctions. if a HOF does indeed procure some items from various auctions, then that may explain some of the "oddities". i think i remember reading once that Cooperstown will sometimes buy an item from auction if it can't get it elsewhere and thinks it'd be a great addition. as well, i think the various HOFs also accept items from private collections on loan for display. again, this may also explain some of the oddities. what i'm getting at is that not all HOF items are acquired directly from players/teams.

rudy.

yanks12025
12-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I went to the baseball hall of fame this past summer and i was looking at a Babe Ruth game used home run bat. When i was looking at it i noticed it was a store model(40 B.R.), the bat was also from the early 1930's because it had bone Rubbed. Now i dont remember if the home run they listed was before or after 1932, but either way its strange because i dont think major leaguers ever used a store model.

jdr3
12-10-2008, 07:30 PM
It is not that far fetched that a team might make up a jersey to send to a HOF. The Redskins sent this jersey after Sonny Jurgensen retired stating it was his 1974 jersey. Yet Jurgensen used a Sand Knit jersey that had Rawlings 9s on the sleeves and back. Only the front 9 was the usually squared off numeral. I have gone through every program from 1971-1974, when the Redskins used the air-mesh shirts. In every 1974 game the team wore the burgundy jerseys he is wearing the jersey shown, and nowhere in the 4 years he was with the Skins and they used that style is there a picture of him in a game with the font for the NOB that is employed for the jersey donated to the HOF. An earlier post on the forum noted how then equipment manager Tom McVean would make up jerseys and sell them publicly.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=1774

aeneas01
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
i'm certain the hall of fame has items on display that are not as described - no doubt about it. in fact i was just discussing a bruce smith (buffalo bills) "gamer" with a forum member that the hof had displayed as his sb25 lid. it wasn't really even a close call - i contacted the hall, pointed them to conclusive proof, and it appears they've since removed it.

however when i questioned why the hall was not consulted re: a very significant collectible, i suggested that perhaps access to their vault, where the hall houses 95% of their inventory which is not on display, would have proven helpful. especially considering the amount of authentic pieces from that era are stored there and, probably more importantly, the amount of vintage game photos and game film footage on file.

as far as the bradshaw and staubach helmets are concerned, thanks for posting such great, clear photos. i have to run out right now, but these shots will give me a chance to take a much closer look. right off the bat it appears that the exterior of the bradshaw clear shell maxpro has been painted which would explain why the rear decals are not visible.

both-teams-played-hard
12-10-2008, 08:37 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10593&highlight=mchale+adidas

This is a thread from a while back discussing this topic...