PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again.....

encinorick
12-14-2008, 02:51 PM
So, Vintage has a Manny Ramirez gu bat for auction from the 2003-05 season. First, I thought only Steiner had rights to Red Sox bat? there is no Steiner LOA.

Second, the PSA/DNA LOA only says it's a Professional Manny bat, and to get them to say (or not say) it's gu you have to pay them after you buy the bat and send them the Vintage LOA. I called them and that's what they said.

Finally, I looked at Gettyimages and the bat is similiar to he used in 2003 and 2004 but without the tape on the handle.

So, experts, pundits, know-it-alls, one and all, what's a poor little consumer like myself to d? Vintage says it's gu, it says so in its description. Is or sin't it? And why is it so God damn hard to understand all this?

kylehess10
12-14-2008, 03:09 PM
So, Vintage has a Manny Ramirez gu bat for auction from the 2003-05 season. First, I thought only Steiner had rights to Red Sox bat? there is no Steiner LOA.

Second, the PSA/DNA LOA only says it's a Professional Manny bat, and to get them to say (or not say) it's gu you have to pay them after you buy the bat and send them the Vintage LOA. I called them and that's what they said.

Finally, I looked at Gettyimages and the bat is similiar to he used in 2003 and 2004 but without the tape on the handle.

So, experts, pundits, know-it-alls, one and all, what's a poor little consumer like myself to d? Vintage says it's gu, it says so in its description. Is or sin't it? And why is it so God damn hard to understand all this?

I'm pretty sure the Steiner-Red Sox partnership didn't start until 2007. Also, don't all PSA/DNA LOA's say "Professional Model Bat"? The LOA that I have for an Edgar Renteria bat I own says that, and it's what I've seen on all other LOA's as well.

encinorick
12-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Yup, that's what the "Auction LOA" says on Vintage website. However, it also says:

"For more information on how to recieve an authentication upgrade, featuring a complete PSA/DNA Letter of Authenticity with a multi image photographic attachment, please contact PSA/DNA for details."

I contacted PSA/DNA and they said that the "upgrade" would cost a couple of hundred bucks (depends on the auction price, but they'd give a 25% discount) and in that LOA they'd tell me if it's gu.

So I have to buy the damn thing, a "Manny Ramirez Professional Model Bat," spend a couple hundred additional dollars for an upgrade with no guarantee that's it gu, but hope that PSA/DNA says that it is. Am I missing something here?

italianchulo
12-14-2008, 06:15 PM
If theres any consolation I know it's possible to get anyody's bats even when they are exclusive. Theres always slippery bats and give aways, etc. Even the players themselves find bats of other players.

kingjammy24
12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
rick

the steiner/red sox deal started in mid-2007.

as well, despite steiner's "exclusive" deal with the yankees and the dodgers, they weren't able to get many of manny's jerseys. they got none of his dodgers shirts. instead, ron fukushima seemed to be able to procure one. sean mahoney of steiner confirmed to me that manny took his dodger shirts and steiner got none. even when he was with the red sox, manny didn't really seem to be obligated to give steiner his shirts as he appeared to market them himself.

i, to this day, still don't know if the steiner deal necessarily includes bats. i know it includes jerseys and helmets but i'm not sure about bats and cleats.

i've also been told that the "exclusive deal" allows for the team to be able allow players to take a certain number of their shirts and not give them over to steiner.

the whole thing isn't nearly as iron-clad as people once thought.

rudy.

suave1477
12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Rudy,

Steiner has rights to the bats that are left over. The deal is with the Yankees not each individual player. For the most part the players order there own bats which gives the player the right, to do what he wants to do with his bat.
Huge example - Sheffield - If you notice Steiner has hardly ever had any of his bats. Because Sheff would take all of his own bats and sell them himself.
The same goes for Cano and Melky.

The bats they sell are usually the bats left behind from the players or if you noticed a lot of cracked bats that the players dont want.

encinorick
12-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the input, gentlemen, regarding Steiner. But, what to do about the "Auction LOA" from PSA/DNA? I never heard of such a thing. You get an expert who tells you that's its a Professional Bat, but, you have to pay an additional couple of hundred dollars to tell you whether (or not) it's gu. But you have to buy it first. In the meantime Vintage says in it's description it's "gu."

Also the taping, I've seen similiar taping on Manny's bat when he was with the Dodgers last year. It is also my understanding he used only Red Sox bats, never had a Dodger bat made for him. But, 2008 he was with Steiner with both the Dodgers and Red Sox and the Auction LOA says it's from 2003-2007.

Why is this so difficult for a guy like me to know if he can get a guManny bat for his kid for the Holidays without looking like a putz (who is now with the Mets, I understand),

gamer35
12-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Encinorick,
If you are looking for a legitimate Manny game used bat, I would stay away from this one. Tape job is bad, no pine tar on the trademark. Anyone could buy the same exact model bat through X-bat during the time period and as a result there are 100s of Manny X-bats out in the market that were never game used.

maccamania
12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the input, gentlemen, regarding Steiner. But, what to do about the "Auction LOA" from PSA/DNA? I never heard of such a thing. You get an expert who tells you that's its a Professional Bat, but, you have to pay an additional couple of hundred dollars to tell you whether (or not) it's gu. But you have to buy it first. In the meantime Vintage says in it's description it's "gu."

Also the taping, I've seen similiar taping on Manny's bat when he was with the Dodgers last year. It is also my understanding he used only Red Sox bats, never had a Dodger bat made for him. But, 2008 he was with Steiner with both the Dodgers and Red Sox and the Auction LOA says it's from 2003-2007.

Why is this so difficult for a guy like me to know if he can get a guManny bat for his kid for the Holidays without looking like a putz (who is now with the Mets, I understand),

I agree with you about the PSA issue, its a disgrace, Vintage should not market it as G/U if there is no backing loa to state it.
Also I did see and had in my hands a Manny Nike bat, with "Dodgers" on the barrell and (99) on the knob......

gamer35
12-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Macc, is the Manny Nike bat for sale? Email me if you get a chance, fantasybase4660@aol.com. Thanks

maccamania
12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Macc, is the Manny Nike bat for sale? Email me if you get a chance, fantasybase4660@aol.com. Thanks

sorry it was sold before I could buy it, but I did get a chance to swing it though......

earlywynnfan
12-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I have a couple Manny Indians bats, if you are interested. From a lot OK'd by Bushing/MEARS.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

italianchulo
12-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Encinorick,
If you are looking for a legitimate Manny game used bat, I would stay away from this one. Tape job is bad, no pine tar on the trademark. Anyone could buy the same exact model bat through X-bat during the time period and as a result there are 100s of Manny X-bats out in the market that were never game used.

But does this apply to post season bats too? Is it possible to order a 2003 ALCS Ramirez bat online or in stores? I wonder because now i might be able to understand why nobody took my manny bat. Its the one that says 2003 ALCS on ebay now.