PDA

View Full Version : Help with Seahawks Lid

Jake51
12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi,

As a peace offering to my wife - who is from Seattle - for turning half the house into a Broncos shrine, I picked up with Seahawks lid. I got it extremely cheap and am just curious if it is a real gamer or not? Any opinions from the helmet and/or Seahawks experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

princip
12-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Right off the bat, it looks a little wonky. I've never seen a blue impregnated shell, painted silver. What's the date code, inside of shell (top) crown stamp say?

Could be from 1983-85;i.e. this Mike Tice helmet. However, that was a white shell painted silver.
http://www.greenglare.com/images/mth1.jpg

princip
12-15-2008, 12:00 PM
The mask looks a little suspect as well, bent to fit?

Jake51
12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Princip,

Thanks for taking a look. Is the date stamp that think that looks like the head of a screw in the top of the shell? If so, that says '08' on the top half and then '76' on the bottom half.

To the mask, looked odd to me too. It has a green dot on the right hand side, whatever that means.

Thanks again...not going to be heartbroken if it isn't 'real', more curious than anything.

Tom

princip
12-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Yea, that's the date stamp. There are a lot of things that don't add up correctly for this to be a true gamer. I seriously doubt they would hold over a 08/76 shell to be played in 1983(possible I guess?). This looks like a project put together by someone to make it look like a 1983-86 era Seahawks helmet. There might be some legit components, however, as a whole not entirely there.

Jake51
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the help - on the date stamp, that is saying the shell was made in 1976, correct? I agree the mask is a replacement, but do the decals match the 76/77 timeframe?

The shell has tons of gouges all over it so I can tell the helmet was used by someone - just don't know if it was a Seahawk player or some high school kid! :)

Thanks,

Tom

princip
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the help - on the date stamp, that is saying the shell was made in 1976, correct? I agree the mask is a replacement, but do the decals match the 76/77 timeframe?

The shell has tons of gouges all over it so I can tell the helmet was used by someone - just don't know if it was a Seahawk player or some high school kid! :)

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Here's a graphic I developed showing the proper cear edge outline a decal should have in order for it to represent a 1976/77 Seahawk's decal. The one on your helmet looks to be more of what was introduced in the early eighties;i.e. also look at the small pic. on the left(blue facemask).

In any case, it's a nice helmet, I would just fix the mask and it's ready display.

http://www.greenglare.com/images/decal_set1.jpg

princip
12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Also, yes the your date stamp shows that the helmet's shell was manufactured on Aug. 1976. Also, to add about the decal, it looks a little different from both clear edge forms on my graphic, since it has a larger radius on the beak tip? Only becuase I haven't seen an example like this, with all of these components put together, I would say it was probably used by a high school team?

Jake51
12-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Fantastic information, thanks again for the help!

For a cheap display piece, I'll take it. Good idea on the mask, I'll see what I can find there.

Thanks again,

Tom