PDA

View Full Version : *Significant Ripken Acquistion*

ironmanfan
12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I thought I'd share with the forum the good fortune I recently had in picking up a (in my opinion) historical piece of Cal Ripken Jr. memorabilia. From a source which picked up numerous Orioles items in the late 1970's throughout the 80's are the homeplate umpires lineup cards (Orioles & BlueJays) from May 30, 1982. For those not familiar, May 30th 1982 was the FIRST game of Cal's consecutive game streak which would finally end over 16 years later in September 1998. Even though it's one of the carbon copies, I feel extremely honored to own this piece (which will be loaned to the Ripken Museum at the Ripken complex in Aberdeen, MD once they re-open)...

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

dcgreg25
12-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Bill, wow thats a great find!!! Congrats. Living just south of Baltimore, I will have to venture up and take a look once it is on display.

David
12-17-2008, 10:39 PM
With a famous long streak or career, the first game item is always much tougher than the last.

Rob L
12-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Hey Bill. Awesome find. Does this happen to be grail item you spoke of a month or two back? Congrats.

ironmanfan
12-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Hey Bill. Awesome find. Does this happen to be grail item you spoke of a month or two back? Congrats.

Thanks Rob, yes it was......Included in this lot which I didn't mention were also the lineup cards from Cal's first appearance in '81 as well as first start and hit (fortunately all of the above happened at Memorial Stadium).

mcnallypalmercuellardobson
12-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I have a similar one here that came before Ripken's streak so it is very rare and valuable. But what make it really unique is catcher Joe Nolan is batting second for the only time in his career.
This will go on display in Joe Nolan's basement, if I can get in contact with Joe Nolan and if he has a basement.