PDA

View Full Version : Help! Trying to purchase my first game used jersey

JasonBanz
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm trying to purchase my first game used piece. It is a Calvin Jackson jersey from the 1996 season. I could only find one pic of him wearing it and it wasn't a good one. Any feedback would be appreciated! I thought I found a few before but they turned out not to be. So i'm trying to make sure this one is the real deal.

Jags Fan Dan
12-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Jim Yackel is one of the most respected dealers in the game. He is one of a very select few that you can pretty much take his word on it, but also kudos to you for trying to do some research also. I'm no expert on Dolphins jerseys and cannot comment beyond the preceding info.

JasonBanz
12-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jags Fan! This helped!

Rob L
12-18-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree with Dan. If it's from Jim's Jerseys, you shouldn't be concerned. Enjoy the jersey!!!

dcrules01
12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Jim is a class act and his prices are reasonable also...

Chris78
12-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Have purchased plenty of jerseys from Jim. Should have no problem with the purchase.

Chris

JasonBanz
12-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys for all your help! I just got back on his website this evening and purchased it. My first game used jersey! I feel like my child was just born! I warned my wife that this is going to be an expensive obsession! Hopefully game used collecting doesn't cause marital problems!:D

Jags Fan Dan
12-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys for all your help! I just got back on his website this evening and purchased it. My first game used jersey! I feel like my child was just born! I warned my wife that this is going to be an expensive obsession! Hopefully game used collecting doesn't cause marital problems!:D
Not if you're married to the right lady, it doesn't!;)
Welcome aboard, Jason. And just let me give this word of advice: always keep some cash stashed somewhere, because when the right piece pops up, you don't want to be left scrounging for the dough while somebody else snatches up the piece you want!

JasonBanz
12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the advice Jags Fan! I've got a good lady who loves football too! So it shouldn't be a problem.

JasonBanz
12-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I have been doing some research on the jersey finding out which games they used the aqua jerseys in. The Dolphins wore more white than aqua in 1996, as they do every year. I found they wore those jerseys against the Cardinals and the Eagles. I'm pretty sure they reused those for those 2 games. I found a few more photos too while searching!:D

Rob L
12-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Jason, congrats, you got a great deal. The first is always the best :) Like Dan said, keep a little money to the side to feed the sickness. Also, use this forum, it's the best for research, buying, etc. The people in this forum are the best. Definitely use the Items Wanted section. I have been trying to find Troy Percival gear for years. Persistence and constant thread bumping (which probably is annoying to everyone) has paid off big time. Everyone has been great and I have picked up some great pieces. Most of all, have fun!

JasonBanz
12-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys for your help and advice. I can tell you guys know alot here. I am definately going to try to keep some money aside so when the right piece pops up I'm ready to get it! Thanks again!

cohibasmoker
12-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys for your help and advice. I can tell you guys know alot here. I am definately going to try to keep some money aside so when the right piece pops up I'm ready to get it! Thanks again!

- If your married, get your spouse (male or female) involved;
- If your single, get your steady (male or female) involved. If you find that you share the same likes and dislikes, that person may or may not be a keeper.
- Stick with common players - I am sure you have read about all the issues that come up when you collect Super-Star items.

Merry Christmas,

Jim

JasonBanz
12-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Got my jersey today! It's not even Christmas yet and I am so happy! Not enough pictures to do photo matching. I could only find pictures from the Eagles game. I could not find any from the Cardinals game. Since these were only used twice in a year, do you guys think they reused them twice? I'm not quite sure how teams recycle or reuse jerseys. The 8 on the back shows some dirt from Dolphins Stadium when the dirt was on the field from the Marlins. The 3 has some black scuff marks. I am guessing they are from Veterans Stadium, because they didn't have dirt on a turf field. Any answers would help! Thanks!!

DrJ
12-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Those "burns" can occur from facemasks as well - the rubber coating peels off onto the jersey or other helmets. Since the Eagles wear black facemasks this makes sense.