PDA

View Full Version : eBay user...the714Gallery

jnbran
12-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Anyone know about this guys auctions? They seem credible, but I wanted to get some guidance.

Thanks,
Jason

buc
12-21-2008, 06:29 PM
They are pretty great to work with and have good items. I've dealt with them as both a buyer and seller.

TomTimmerman
12-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Funny you should ask. I'm completing my first deal with them, but here's something that rubbed me the wrong way. Two years ago, I sold them a pair of items on eBay. I think they sold way too cheap and I always regretted selling them. So a week ago, they listed the same items with an opening bid about $10-20 more than their winning bid two years ago. Part of their description included this: "FRESH TO THE OPEN MARKET FOR THE FIRST TIME FROM OUR PRIVATE ARCHIVES COLLECTION AND DISPLAY." Another part of the description was slightly misleading as well. I wanted the items back, so I decided to bid anyway. I was concerned about shilling since they use Private Bidders, but I won the items at (what I consider to be a good price). Then to top it off, they sent me a Payment Reminder 15 hours after the auction ended with lots of CAPITAL letters. In my reply I told them that their business practices leave much to be desired, but I did send payment. Don't know if they'll complete the deal, but their whole approach really turned me off. I woudn't have bid except these were one-of-a-kind items that I wanted to get back. There are two many good dealers out there that I would rather deal with in the future.

bigtruck260
12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Funny you should ask. I'm completing my first deal with them, but here's something that rubbed me the wrong way. Two years ago, I sold them a pair of items on eBay. I think they sold way too cheap and I always regretted selling them. So a week ago, they listed the same items with an opening bid about $10-20 more than their winning bid two years ago. Part of their description included this: "FRESH TO THE OPEN MARKET FOR THE FIRST TIME FROM OUR PRIVATE ARCHIVES COLLECTION AND DISPLAY." Another part of the description was slightly misleading as well. I wanted the items back, so I decided to bid anyway. I was concerned about shilling since they use Private Bidders, but I won the items at (what I consider to be a good price). Then to top it off, they sent me a Payment Reminder 15 hours after the auction ended with lots of CAPITAL letters. In my reply I told them that their business practices leave much to be desired, but I did send payment. Don't know if they'll complete the deal, but their whole approach really turned me off. I woudn't have bid except these were one-of-a-kind items that I wanted to get back. There are two many good dealers out there that I would rather deal with in the future.

Tom -

I hate when I win something and am immediately pestered by the seller for not paying before 24 hours has come up. There have been times where I have placed a bid with a sniper service and been traveling...but I always pay within 24 hours. I have 100% and 4.9's across the board, so you'd think I'd get the benefit of the doubt, but some folks are down right rude.

On the other hand, as a seller - I have been stiffed several times since eBay did the whole "No negatives for buyers thing" I've even been extorted - seriously. "I will leave a negative unless you lower your shipping charges" - so I kind of see why some sellers act the way they do - especially sellers who do lots of volume.

D

helmets
12-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Two years ago, I sold them a pair of items on eBay...a week ago, they listed the same items... "FRESH TO THE OPEN MARKET FOR THE FIRST TIME FROM OUR PRIVATE ARCHIVES COLLECTION AND DISPLAY."

If they bought the items two years ago, and have not sold them or tried to sell them since, it's not like they bought them to flip them. They may not be fresh to the open market for the first time, however they are fresh to the market for the first time from their collection, just as the description states.

IMHO, I don't think that it misleading or dishonest at all.

I agree on the payment reminder email. Our payment reminder emails are sent 10 days after the completion of the auction. 24 hours or less is too soon.

Glad that you were able to get the items back.

TomTimmerman
12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Payment Refunded:
The buyer is insulting and we will n o longer conduct business with this Ebay member.

TomTimmerman
12-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Their original description also included this: "This item originates and came to our firm from a private purchase we made that came from the estate of New York Yankees Owner - Colonel Jacob Ruppert."

They bought it from me two years ago. I bought it about 20 years ago and I didn't buy it from the estate of Jacob Ruppert.

trsent
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Tom -

I hate when I win something and am immediately pestered by the seller for not paying before 24 hours has come up. There have been times where I have placed a bid with a sniper service and been traveling...but I always pay within 24 hours. I have 100% and 4.9's across the board, so you'd think I'd get the benefit of the doubt, but some folks are down right rude.

On the other hand, as a seller - I have been stiffed several times since eBay did the whole "No negatives for buyers thing" I've even been extorted - seriously. "I will leave a negative unless you lower your shipping charges" - so I kind of see why some sellers act the way they do - especially sellers who do lots of volume.

D

I believe if you are emailed with a threat such as "lower shipping or I will leave a negative" or any similar threat, eBay will remove any negative received. A buyer cannot threaten the seller in this manner per eBay policy.

I do not know if eBay honors this policy, but I am sure I have read it is policy.

Here is the link to the policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Buyers are not allowed to threaten sellers with negative Feedback, neutral Feedback or low Detailed Seller Ratings in order to obtain goods or services not included in the original listing.

Sellers may not require buyers to leave specific Feedback or Detailed Seller Ratings. Sellers also may not demand that buyers withdraw existing Feedback or Detailed Seller Ratings. These prohibitions apply to all Feedback activity, whether prior to, during, or after delivery of goods or services described in the original listing.

trsent
12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Payment Refunded:
The buyer is insulting and we will n o longer conduct business with this Ebay member.

Wow - Sounds like a negative feedback waiting to happen.

jppopma
12-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm curious if the seller is a member here or at least reads the board. Funny that as soon as it's brought up on here, the seller backs out of the sale and refunds the money.

TomTimmerman
12-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm curious if the seller is a member here or at least reads the board. Funny that as soon as it's brought up on here, the seller backs out of the sale and refunds the money.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I won't post all of the emails we're exchanging, but basically it happened like this:
1. They sent payment reminder 15 hours after the auction ended.
2. 5:20pm Sunday I responded with: Reminder isn't necessary, and why did you feel the need to "embellish" the listing?
3. 5:45pm Sunday They responded (very nicely) that they were just trying to speed up payments so they could mail everything before Christmas. They didn't address the embellishment and they didn't say anything about canceling the sale.
4. 8:52pm Sunday Out of the blue, they refund my money and request through eBay to cancel the sale. Only explanation is that they were "insulted."

I've exchanged a couple of other emails with them and still waiting to see if they're going to back out of our contract.

Tom

jobathenut
12-23-2008, 06:14 AM
tom-i was just wondering ,did you ever call them on the fact that was your item that you were buying back from them?.....i do agree,its sounds funny that they refunded so fast like that....maybe they felt your emails were insulting to them.......its amazing how some people take things you say in a email to them,you think youre being nice and they take it the wrong way, but then i just had a experience like that on ebay myself, i was the seller,and the buyer tried to pay for it by using paypal, (as ebay had now become paybay now)even though it says in my auction several times,money order only,but then he back out of buying it and was very rude about it...ebay doesnt police anything,and ebay is going to junk now because of it,they only care about big stores and not the little people that made it what it is........i cant even sell on there anymore,as i was trying to sell my collection to help my family,but i dont do paypal......but to me,i think thats terrible what this seller did to you,you won the item and paid for it,well they should have no right to back out of it like that......im upset for you:(

Jags Fan Dan
12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I believe if you are emailed with a threat such as "lower shipping or I will leave a negative" or any similar threat, eBay will remove any negative received. A buyer cannot threaten the seller in this manner per eBay policy.

I do not know if eBay honors this policy, but I am sure I have read it is policy.

Here is the link to the policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Buyers are not allowed to threaten sellers with negative Feedback, neutral Feedback or low Detailed Seller Ratings in order to obtain goods or services not included in the original listing.

Sellers may not require buyers to leave specific Feedback or Detailed Seller Ratings. Sellers also may not demand that buyers withdraw existing Feedback or Detailed Seller Ratings. These prohibitions apply to all Feedback activity, whether prior to, during, or after delivery of goods or services described in the original listing.
Yeah, good luck getting them to enforce that rule. Referring back to my thread in this same forum entitled "Classic eBay Story" in which I showed eBay that my buyer NEVER paid the correct amount, but by gosh, I've got the negative feedback for never sending the items. Numerous emails and phone calls resulted in eBay shrugging their shoulders and looking the other direction. So, I say, if you're the winning bidder, you paid the full amount, and they won't send the items, leave the negative feedback.

TomTimmerman
12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
My issue was resolved very professionally this morning. I'll be receiving the items I won and they offered free shipping.

jppopma
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Glad to hear a good ending to this story during this season. I'm glad it was resolved in a good way and thanks for the update.

trsent
12-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah, good luck getting them to enforce that rule. Referring back to my thread in this same forum entitled "Classic eBay Story" in which I showed eBay that my buyer NEVER paid the correct amount, but by gosh, I've got the negative feedback for never sending the items. Numerous emails and phone calls resulted in eBay shrugging their shoulders and looking the other direction. So, I say, if you're the winning bidder, you paid the full amount, and they won't send the items, leave the negative feedback.

Dan, I understand your terrible experience, but I believe if a buyer threatens negative feedback if you do not make them happy the feedback can be removed.

Jags Fan Dan
12-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Dan, I understand your terrible experience, but I believe if a buyer threatens negative feedback if you do not make them happy the feedback can be removed.
Joel,
I certainly don't mean to sound argumentative, but that is exactly what the buyer did to me. He started sending me emails telling me he had not received the bats and that he would be leaving negative feedback, even though he never paid the correct amount for them. I forwarded all of the emails to eBay with the full headers, they responded with some canned email that basically said "Sorry, no violation occurred." So while he never sent an email that said "If you don't reduce your shipping charges from what you stated they were in the auction that I bid on and won, I will leave negative feedback", that is exactly what he did. Count me among those that have lost faith in the "system" part of eBay. It is so skewed to the buyers side, I will never sell on there again.