PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Mark McGwire Game Used Jersey

Lokee
12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Just curious on opinions ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mark-McGwire-MLB-Baseball-Game-Used-Jersey-Oakland-As_W0QQitemZ250346030888QQihZ015QQcategoryZ60597QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kingjammy24
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
a cursory glance makes me think the "oakland" team script is handcut.

see this:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=20296

rudy.

skyking26
12-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm sure Howard has some answers here. We have a bunch of neighborhood kids here we are watching as their dad had some gone-bad surgery and I have not had a chance to disect his auction - but I will say a $4K price tag in this economy is ridiculous.

McGwire is not likely to make the Hall ever, and with his stuff just not moving at all I'm not sure where he gets that number from. All I can say is good luck...

jppopma
12-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Quite a description this seller wrote on this jersey. If someone buys into his hype and doesn't do their homework...he may get close to his reserve, but I still think it's high to expect. But how rare can 1986 A's jerseys be when we see the Cansecos come up on AMI time and time again?

I'm always concerned when I read these long descriptions that focus on so many things, but not so much about the jersey itself. One of the things that I have learned in policework is to look not only to what is said, but what is not being said. The story about buying it in 1991 from a SCD aution, from a dealer in Danville, CA, but not being able to find the article to show the auction. Nice long story to show a little picture of provinance, but still alot of holes. If you have any old issues, it would not be hard to look through and see what dealer had ads that were similar or even who was from Danville, CA. By not including who the dealer was...it makes someone wonder why that was left out.

I think the other post about the A's lettering styles pretty much puts this in the same boat as those Cansecos. I guess we can just sadly watch and see how badly someone may be taken.

kingjammy24
12-21-2008, 07:06 PM
here's a comparison. ebay mcgwire jersey on top.

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2815/sillyxd2.jpg

they should look the same. and they don't. they do a decent job but screw up the "A" and to a lesser degree, the "K" and "N". the "A" is
really obvious though.

rudy.

whatupyos
12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I thought the same as Rudy. I did some research and compared it to an old thread that Rudy did work on in regards to an old Canseco from 1985. The A, and K appear to me the wrong font. Close, but there are differences. Also if you look at the piping/gold and green bands around the arms...the picture I found on Getty of Mac in a green jersey like this seem to be wider than the shirt offered on ebay. In the description somewhere it references how this could be only one of like 2 or something, but I seem to remember a white one going for close to 10K in an old AMI auction about a year and a half/2 years ago. Like the previous post stated about police work, pay attention to whats not being said. I might know of this memorabilia dealer in Danville....I'm going to email the seller and seek if I think I know whom he is referencing. Also, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Mac doesn't collect a lot of his stuff. I seem to remember an old SI article where a reporter said you won't find a dozen baseball in his home. Mac was never a self absorbed guy. He doesn't strike me as the type to save all his memorabilia. He gave his gold glove trophy to his father to display in his office. I mean, he'd rather give stuff away to let others enjoy more so than keep in my humble opinion.

Aaron

skyking26
12-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Aaron is correct on that - Mac kept little to nothing. There are alot of guys like that. Kingman was like that. He has very little left. Once their careers ended, it was a job and they are onto other parts of their lives.

The seller emailed me back, adding to his auction no answers at all; citing first names of guys who say the jersey is the real deal, or the name of a store that few have probably heard of. Alot of writing, not many answers. He offers a 7 day return policy, but how do you get it and ship to an authenticator and back to him in 7 days??? Does not happen.

whatupyos
12-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Bob,

What are the names? You can email me privately too if you wish. I know the owner of one Memorabilia store in Danville, CA which is the place I'm suspecting of that he might be referencing. Also, the A's had 3 styles of jersey's I believe that year. He references yellow and green, but I believe they also wore white as referenced in getty images with Mac in a white jersey, plus the white '86 that AMI auctioned off.

Aaron

whatupyos
12-21-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=28177

Rudy,

Would this shirt appear to have the same script as the one on ebay? From what I can tell it does, but I wanted to know what others think?

Aaron

kingjammy24
12-21-2008, 10:13 PM
i read the sellers comments. oy.

anyway, the back numbers are handcut as well. they're all crooked. i'm curious if the stitching from the numbers on the inside is single or double-stitched.

the "K" is really bad. they screwed up the entire bottom portion of it.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7734/sillyjw2.jpg

same as the cansecos. maybe the same guy made them all. cansecos and mcgwires. where are the carney lansfords?

anyway, the guy seems to really think it's real so i feel bad for him.
i think doing your homework has to involve asking more than a couple local dealers for their opinion.

rudy.

kingjammy24
12-21-2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=28177

Rudy,

Would this shirt appear to have the same script as the one on ebay? From what I can tell it does, but I wanted to know what others think?

Aaron

yeah. same garbage. can you believe it sold for over $9k. sad. however, the numbers on the back aren't nearly as crooked. so ..you know..that's a nice thing. doesn't matter much but still. maybe whoever cut them wasn't drunk that day.

anyway, look at the angle of the bottom part of the "K". on these handmade jerseys it points left. on game photos it points right. see?
completely opposite. someone really messed up that "K".

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9124/silly2fe3.jpg

as for what these jerseys once were, my guess is perhaps minor league shirts or even just plain, generic baseball shirts purchased from a baseball uniform supply house.

rudy.

skyking26
12-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I've got an 85 Oakland white Kingman right from him, so no questions with mine. I'll have to look at it and compare...

Aaron, the names were first names, and then he referenced a shop in Ohio. I mean, is somebody really going to take his comments on hs auction as gospel?

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 12:26 AM
what a showman! you don't see descriptions like this anymore

"I actually placed the losing bid, but the winner backed at the last minute and I got a call-back and the jersey at the lower rate of mine own bid!!! I will not share that bid with you here, but to the winner of thsi auction... who knows?!"

it'd almost be worth bidding just to find out his bid! but alas there's no guarantee he'd say but still..there's a chance!

"Therefore, do not be surprised if you end up bidding in this auction against the likes of Todd McFarlane... or who knows, maybe even Big Mac himself. If they catch wind of this auction, they might very likely want to add it to their own collections!".

well, todd's pockets run quite a bit deeper than mine so i probably don't stand much of a chance. if mac caught wind of it, he'd either be very amused or very angry. not sure which. probably not very interested though.

"I have had this jersey appraised on three separate occasions. The lowest of those three appraisals was $6,000 and the highest was $15,000."

as long as we're throwing around numbers, why stop at $15k? a million always sounds impressive. i'm betting todd mcfarlane would pay at least that. i need the name of his insurer. i'd love to have my 1991 devon white jersey appraised at 5x its worth.

doug allen could learn a thing or two from terry turambar.

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/1310/sillyow8.jpg

rudy.

karamaxjoe
12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
This is pure speculation and it's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the neck stitching may have been opened up at some point to remove a Rawlings retail tag. We all know it the neck is opened up on a jersey, it will be a huge red flag. I've asked for a close up photo of the neck, but I'm not holding my breath due to the quality of the tag photos.

karamaxjoe
12-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I questioned the seller about the problem with the neck line and here's his response:

Good afternoon, I am sorry for not responding sooner, but I do have a day job and I had to work these last two days. Yesterday/last night we had a fairly bad ice storm here in Ohio, and I did not get off work early, so it took me hours to drive home. I meant to send this to you last night -- my fault. I have received about 20-30 questions along these same lines. If you like, I can take a better close-up photo of the neck line and email it to you, sure. The neck-line tag there has been removed (I would assume it was done for comfort) and that is the way it was when I purchased it. The stitching around the outside of the neck-line is completely intact except that a small piece of the gold trim stitch right where it meets the left shoulder seam is just beginning to unravel a little, It is loose there for about 1/2 inch or so, but has not pulled out of the seam completely. Do you want to see this? If I know more of what you are asking or seeking, then I can take a better picture or pictures for you. Please tell me what you want to see and I'll do my best. Thanks, Terry

At least he does admit to some type of tag being in the collar at some point. I'm not an A's expert, but I have to believe a neck tag would have to make this a retail jersey. Does anyone have an A's jersey from this time period with a neck tag? I've seen many White Sox retail jerseys from the late eighties with Rawlings neck tags.

skyking26
12-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I see this jersey is over $1000 now. Wow. People are actually going to bid on something with this type of story?

Amazing.

whatupyos
12-25-2008, 11:50 PM
I see this jersey is over $1000 now. Wow. People are actually going to bid on something with this type of story?

Amazing.

Bob,

I think most people don't know about us here in GUU land. I hate to see people get ripped off like this. What can you do though. We're here to help each other out but we can't save the world. Hopefully it won't reach 4K and someone gets stuck with this highly suspect jersey. I mean, so far all signs point to a bad investment. I.E. wrong font on front, the question about the neck tag just to name a few.

Aaron

skyking26
12-26-2008, 12:04 AM
I guess a sucker is born every minute. The seller gives little to know actual concrete evidence that the thing is legit and babbles on and on and we are up over $1K. I just can't believe it. I will not listen to people that say we are in a recession as I just can't believe it if they are going to throw decent money at this suspect jersey...

kingjammy24
12-26-2008, 12:55 AM
I guess a sucker is born every minute. The seller gives little to know actual concrete evidence that the thing is legit and babbles on and on and we are up over $1K. I just can't believe it. I will not listen to people that say we are in a recession as I just can't believe it if they are going to throw decent money at this suspect jersey...

must be todd mcfarlane. todd's probably happy the bidding hasn't approached the $15k appraisal.

rudy.

skyking26
01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Jersey is back on ebay for a 2nd time...lol