PDA

View Full Version : Padres jerseys manufacturers/tagging

yankeepirate
12-22-2008, 11:17 AM
I have been offered a Padres batting practice jersey from the early to mid 90's for one of the Jewish players whom I collect, Brad Ausmus. In Bill Henderson's book, it says that Padres jerseys of that era were made by Russell. However, the jersey that I have been offered was made by Majestic. Could such a jersey have been made by Majestic to be game used by the Padres between 1993 and 1996?

I also have attached a scan of the labeling in the tail, about which I am suspicious as it appears to be more like store model labeling.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Please respond to me, Howard, at goldstein@goldlaw.com.

-Howard

jppopma
12-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Alot of teams began to make the switch from Russell to Majestic BP jerseys in the 90's. Sometimes there will be both from the same season, either from a switch or reuse. The tag will help you identify the year (do a search for one of the primers), but another thing to look at is the logo on the shoulder and if it is a patch or emroidered. The retail jerseys will have the patch where as most gamers will have the logo embroidered on the sleeve. As with everything else, especially a new contract, nothing is hardfast.

From the picture, the label does look pretty stiff and new. I'd look into the overall wear of the jersey to see how much use it may have.

Good luck.

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
i don't see where bill henderson said that Padres BP shirts of the early-mid 90s were made by russell. he simply used a russell example for one of the photos.

anyway, the majestic tagging on your jersey is from 1996-1997 specifically.

russell supplied many of the BP shirts during the early 90s but by the mid-late 90s, majestic had taken over.

rudy.