PDA

View Full Version : Pedroia Red Sox Jersey Advice

allstarsplus
12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
This looks like a great Pedroia 2008 game used jersey that I am thinking of making a Best Offer on. Wanted opinions since it doesn't have Steiner COA.

It looks good to me and I know Red Sox stuff isn't that difficult to get directly from the player or clubhouse without Steiner.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330295345460&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOC:US:1123

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
hey andrew

this has me a little curious. my initial reaction re: your question is why?
that is, why bother going down that route when you can just go down the steiner route? steiner currently has a few '08 pedroias for sale. with things the way they're going, you could probably negotiate them down. steiner's having sales up the wazoo. i don't think they can clear their inventory as fast as they need to.

you're right in saying that things seem to slip out of the redsox clubhouse. i don't know what's going on over there. phil of sportsworld recently sold an '08 ortiz, without steiner certs. i've been told that the steiner/redsox agreement doesn't preclude the ability of players being given some of their jerseys. i know papelbon seems to market his own shirts.

however, we've also seen the bushel loads of non-steiner ortiz and ramirez shirts. they can't all be legit gamers. somewhere, someone's got access to these things. steiner's not perfect but at least you know they're getting these from the redsox clubhouse. with all of the others, you'd be forced to wonder where it really came from. plus there's the whole aspect of reselling the item. you'd have to explain why it doesn't have steiner certs and i'd think the resale value wouldn't be as high.

anyway, i'm just curious why you'd go with no provenance when strong provenance is available.

rudy.

gamer35
12-22-2008, 06:58 PM
The jersey is legit, I know the seller and he has very good connections with the Sox. I would absolutely no qualms purchasing it, it is definitely sourced from the Sox.

allstarsplus
12-22-2008, 08:08 PM
hey andrew

this has me a little curious. my initial reaction re: your question is why?
that is, why bother going down that route when you can just go down the steiner route? steiner currently has a few '08 pedroias for sale. with things the way they're going, you could probably negotiate them down. steiner's having sales up the wazoo. i don't think they can clear their inventory as fast as they need to.

you're right in saying that things seem to slip out of the redsox clubhouse. i don't know what's going on over there. phil of sportsworld recently sold an '08 ortiz, without steiner certs. i've been told that the steiner/redsox agreement doesn't preclude the ability of players being given some of their jerseys. i know papelbon seems to market his own shirts.

however, we've also seen the bushel loads of non-steiner ortiz and ramirez shirts. they can't all be legit gamers. somewhere, someone's got access to these things. steiner's not perfect but at least you know they're getting these from the redsox clubhouse. with all of the others, you'd be forced to wonder where it really came from. plus there's the whole aspect of reselling the item. you'd have to explain why it doesn't have steiner certs and i'd think the resale value wouldn't be as high.

anyway, i'm just curious why you'd go with no provenance when strong provenance is available.

rudy.

Rudy - Great points as usual. I totally agree with the Ortiz and Manny jerseys out there.

I have great luck with most Steiner items which I can buy at wholesale and did great on '08 Red Sox items especially the caps.

I did get some Pedroia quotes from Steiner on the jerseys and was interested in this Pedroia based on a below wholesale offer under $2,000 if the seller would take it.

Still weighing my options.

Thanks so much!!!!

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 09:57 PM
i just perused ebay and it's really surprising how many non-steiner seemingly legit '08 sox gamers from companies like PMI. i saw 2 lowells, 2 becketts, pedroia. not to mention the usual boatload of ramirez's and ortiz's. that's a real mess steiner's got over there with their "exclusive" agreement. there's nothing exclusive about any of it if lowell and beckett sign obvious deals with a firm like PMI. as well, didn't PMI get most of papelbons stuff?

anyway andrew, i don't know the ebay seller. maybe gamer35 is correct and the guy has solid clubhouse connections and the pedroia he has is completely legit. but what are you left with? the same old "i got it from a guy with great team sources" line that everyone uses and noone can ever prove. at least PMI has some proof of their athlete contracts. what's this ebay guy got besides a story? can he prove anything? if not, what good is it really? if he were the only red sox source in town then it'd be one thing. steiner has a known contract with the red sox. you can either buy solid provenance or you can buy some vague, unproven story and hope it's true. i'm not doubting gamer35 or this specific seller. i'm just saying it's yet another one of those unproven "great team source" lines that every single seller on ebay dishes out. there's no way of verifying anything or knowing who's lying and who isn't. myself, i'd pay for solid provenance. not only would it help me sleep better at night, but it'd also make it easier to resell over and over. when you resell the pedroia what are you going to tell the buyer? same old "anonymous team source" line? when they ask for proof, you won't have any. there's a good chance they'll walk and pick up a steiner pedroia. look at some of those non-steiner 2006 and 2007 yankees shirts. hardly anyone will touch them and when they do, they go for a fraction of their steiner counterparts.

rudy.

gamer35
12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Rudy,
I do agree that provenance plays an integral role in the selling process, but if you are looking for a jersey for your personal collection and know that it is legit, why have any qualms about it?
For instance, if you knew someone who could basically fill any 1988-1993 Toronto Blue Jays game used request directly through a team source, would you fret if it doesnt come with an LOA? Granted, supply on Red Sox gamers is excessive, but I would think that you are personally comfortable and confident in the seller's stuff, what should an LOA matter?

And in regard to Manny gamers from 2008, he wore basically a new shirt every series.

allstarsplus
12-22-2008, 11:06 PM
i just perused ebay and it's really surprising how many non-steiner seemingly legit '08 sox gamers from companies like PMI. i saw 2 lowells, 2 becketts, pedroia. not to mention the usual boatload of ramirez's and ortiz's. that's a real mess steiner's got over there with their "exclusive" agreement. there's nothing exclusive about any of it if lowell and beckett sign obvious deals with a firm like PMI. as well, didn't PMI get most of papelbons stuff?

anyway andrew, i don't know the ebay seller. maybe gamer35 is correct and the guy has solid clubhouse connections and the pedroia he has is completely legit. but what are you left with? the same old "i got it from a guy with great team sources" line that everyone uses and noone can ever prove. at least PMI has some proof of their athlete contracts. what's this ebay guy got besides a story? can he prove anything? if not, what good is it really? if he were the only red sox source in town then it'd be one thing. steiner has a known contract with the red sox. you can either buy solid provenance or you can buy some vague, unproven story and hope it's true. i'm not doubting gamer35 or this specific seller. i'm just saying it's yet another one of those unproven "great team source" lines that every single seller on ebay dishes out. there's no way of verifying anything or knowing who's lying and who isn't. myself, i'd pay for solid provenance. not only would it help me sleep better at night, but it'd also make it easier to resell over and over. when you resell the pedroia what are you going to tell the buyer? same old "anonymous team source" line? when they ask for proof, you won't have any. there's a good chance they'll walk and pick up a steiner pedroia. look at some of those non-steiner 2006 and 2007 yankees shirts. hardly anyone will touch them and when they do, they go for a fraction of their steiner counterparts.

rudy.

I think the Red Sox jerseys without Steiner is much different than how I feel with a Yankees jersey without Steiner which I wouldn't touch.

The Red Sox have the strip tag and names on the back which help in discerning real from fake then it just comes down to provenance and "use" and of course the price, but sure, I wouldn't pay as much for a non-Steiner. I say provenance as I want to make sure it isn't a "game issued" that never saw the field.

Amazing how many Red Sox jerseys are out on the market. You do have to wonder how many jerseys the players get and how many Steiner gets.

gamer35
12-22-2008, 11:12 PM
To be honest, Steiner is given the shirts that show the least use out of any of the shirts that are in the players locker. I have seen a handful of Sox shirts that show nice wear through Steiner (based on the wash tag), but the majority show minimal use.

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 11:13 PM
"..if you are looking for a jersey for your personal collection and know that it is legit, why have any qualms about it?"

if i knew it was legit, then i'd have no qualms. i'd just know i'd have my work cut out for me if i ever went to resell it. but that's a big if right? how would i know it's legit? it takes more than a cliched story for me.

"if you knew someone who could basically fill any 1988-1993 Toronto Blue Jays game used request directly through a team source, would you fret if it doesnt come with an LOA?"

i'd fret a little. why? because team staff have been known to produce garbage. funny you mention the old jays because one of the clubhouse guys back then was producing garbage! i'd also wonder if the stuff is stolen. sure it's legit and i'd get it out the back door but are the cops going to be looking for me in a month? remember that story a couple years back about the orioles clubhouse staffer who was caught stealing items and selling them on ebay? who wants to be on the receiving end of stolen property? anyway, if i knew that person then that'd be one thing but andrew doesn't know this ebay seller from adam and neither do i and neither do most folks. your analogy assumes i already know the team source is legit. how's this ebay seller going to prove his sources and his connection? like i said, i'd need more than a story. everyone's got one of those.

rudy.