PDA

View Full Version : Team Altered Jersey Help...

jshortt
12-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Just had a question about teams altering old jerseys. I have a jersey from the 60's when it was common practice for teams to do # swaps. One digit has been changed, but the other is the original.

What is your opinion on having the original # restored, and what is the best way to go about doing it? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Josh

jppopma
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Josh,

If the jersey had the number changed by the team back in the 60's my suggestion would be to let it be. Unless you are trying to restore it to a specific player, the practice of team changed numbers is generally accepted when covered in the provenance (makes for a nice story too).

Some things to be careful of if you do get the number restored are;

--fading: the jersey as a whole has faded a certain degree over time after the number was changed. There could be a very noticeable outline of the 2nd number left after you have it restored.

--glue: some of these jerseys from the 60's will have pretty messy surprised under the number from whoever made the change. This can leave an outline or other unsightly marks on the jersey.

--fabric: while there are some great restoration companies out there, you risk the material or color just not being a 100% match.

With that being said, you have to consider how much it would cost to restore the jersey, the possibilities or dangers, and how much you have to gain by getting it restored. Best of luck and I'm sure there are alot of people that would like to see pics (before and/or after).

jshortt
12-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. As you guessed, it would be to restore it to a specific player's number. I need to look at it more carefully, but I believe the outline of the original # is still visible, but I'm also fairly certain that the replacement # will leave a pretty significant outline as well.

I'll be sure to keep everybody posted, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
Josh

jshortt
12-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Also forgot to add that it would be a gift for my mother. The jersey is from one of her favorite players. The digit change wouldn't be for monitary gain, more for her peace of mind.

-Josh

Nathan
12-23-2008, 03:12 AM
I'd leave it as is. With the outline of the old number, it should be plainly visible who it was first issued to in spite of the new number covering it.

Although for the time being there's no money being involved, think of having to sell it down the line. If it was originally a more prominent player than the one it was recycled to, it would look awfully suspicious to have the "new" player's number outline visible under the restored one.