PDA

View Full Version : OT - Roger Clemens Lawsuit

allstarsplus
12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3789248 This article is about Brian McNamee's defamation lawsuit against Roger Clemens which got me thinking about companies like TriStar, Steiner, and my own company that obviously lost tons of money based on the public's perception of Clemens after his steroid hearings.

TriStar had the exclusive autograph deal with Clemens. Steiner had Game Used items and I did an art project with him where I am sitting on over $100,000 (Retail) of Clemens art which isn't worth selling.

TriStar's Clemen's page: http://www.tristarproductions.com/merch/Baseball/Roger_Clemens.htm

I understand there is a risk with any player having market values change like what happened with McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds, but the Clemens market values were probably more significant based on all the inventory out on the market.

I say this tongue in cheek, do you think Roger will refund money to me based on that what I paid in autograph fees etc. aren't worth that value any more? LMAO :mad:

Report: McNamee sues Clemens

Associated Press
Updated: December 23, 2008, 7:59 AM ET
NEW YORK

Roger Clemens' former personal trainer has filed a defamation lawsuit against the seven-time Cy Young award winner, the New York Post reported Tuesday.

Brian McNamee, who told federal investigators that Clemens used performance-enhancing drugs, claims the Rocket libeled and slandered him following the release of George Mitchell's report on drug use in baseball. McNamee is seeking $10 million from his former client, according to a summons filed in Queens Supreme Court last week.

Clemens filed his own defamation suit against McNamee in January after the trainer said in the Mitchell Report that he regularly injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone. Clemens later told a congressional committee under oath that he had never taken steroids.

In the federal case in Texas, McNamee's attorneys claim the trainer was forced to talk to investigators under threat of prosecution, rendering him immune from any defamation lawsuit. A federal prosecutor backed up McNamee's claim, but a judge has yet to rule on his request to toss the case.

Clemens has one month to respond to the Queens lawsuit.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

JCC1968
12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi

I have a game issued Clemens bat signed by him. Paid alot for it a few years ago. Probaly not worth much accept the cost of firewood. He has been a huge disappointment. I am just Happy that i don't have too much stuff of his.

Jason

suave1477
12-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Well it is no secret the value has dropped but there will always be some kind of value for his items and there will always be some kind of desire.

Examples

McGwire - theres still interest
Palmeiro - theres still interest
Sheffield - theres still interest (One of my favorite responses - I didnt take steroids because I didnt inject anything into my butt) lol lol:D
Irod - theres still interest
Bonds - theres still interest
Giambi - theres still interest

trsent
12-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Well it is no secret the value has dropped but there will always be some kind of value for his items and there will always be some kind of desire.

Examples

McGwire - theres still interest
Palmeiro - theres still interest
Sheffield - theres still interest (One of my favorite responses - I didnt take steroids because I didnt inject anything into my butt) lol lol:D
Irod - theres still interest
Bonds - theres still interest
Giambi - theres still interest

I don't understand this post - There is interest in all players, but the values have dropped to levels where people who expected accused steriod users to be sure fire Hall of Famers has fallen so far below what was the market that people cannot afford to sell their memorabilia.

We all know Roger Clemens is not refunding anything, but I think if found guilty he should be liable to those who invested in him with the thoughts that he was living a clean lifestyle.

David
12-23-2008, 04:17 PM
A simple question for Tri Star et al, is did they have the impression or inkling Clemens was a steroids user when they signed him to make those autographs? I heard many fans and collectors who, since way before the Mitchell report, felt Clemens used such substances. They would have happily advised Tri Star and Steiner that a pitcher's fast ball isn't supposed to speed up after age 40.

JETEFAN
12-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Any attorneys on the forum care to start a class action against Clemens.....I'm in !!!:mad:

George

David
12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe you could have sued Kevin Mitchell for not staying in shape.