PDA

View Full Version : came up with a good idea

gameu08
12-23-2008, 04:39 PM
I came up with an idea for myself to start collecting future HOFers game used bats or just game used items whatever I can afford. I have some players that I have in mind like chipper,thome, frank thomas...wanted to hear your input on this with some players. Try to keep this to people I can afford if possible I know the pujols, arod, jeters but what else you got?

thanks
Mike

bscott
12-23-2008, 09:21 PM
this is loose, off the top of my head:

future hof's:

100%:
griffey, jr.
manny ramirez
ichiro
jim thome
frank thomas
jeff kent
ivan rodriguez

80%:
vlad guerrero
gary sheffield
chipper jones
johnny damon (3000 hits..? eventually)
carlos delgado (500 hr's steroid free)

70%:
miguel cabrera

50%:
ryan howard
jose reyes
hanley ramirez
david wright

too young to tell, but young enough to put up the lifetime stats:
jay bruce
evan longoria

-bscott

harpt
12-23-2008, 09:51 PM
The crazy thing is, most "future hall of famers" cost more when they are "future hall of famers" than they do when they actually get to the hall of fame.

I frequently see bats of hall of famers like Ozzie Smith, Paul Molitor, Wade Boggs, etc go for less money than those of current players who will "likely" make the hall someday.

joecoco
12-23-2008, 09:58 PM
0.025%
My main man, Doug Mientkiewicz

sorry, I could not resisit.... Joe

suave1477
12-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I would definitely throw Jorge Posadas name into the ring of very possible hall of famers maybe not a first ballot but I defintely think he will go in

AWA85
12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Cough cough, this must be my turn to campaign again for VOTE FOR BARRY LARKIN IN 2010.

joelsabi
12-23-2008, 10:09 PM
The crazy thing is, most "future hall of famers" cost more when they are "future hall of famers" than they do when they actually get to the hall of fame.

I frequently see bats of hall of famers like Ozzie Smith, Paul Molitor, Wade Boggs, etc go for less money than those of current players who will "likely" make the hall someday.

Good point

I think the bargains are with people who already made the HOF. The highest demand for items seems to be right before they make the HOF and then the items die down in interest as they fade into memory. some HOF go on to be coaches, color analyst, and local radio braodcasters and may receive attention. the first ballot HOFer may also see their item still have interests as some are living legends and all-time greats.

If you are on a budget I would focus on getting items from players that are already on the ballot and have a certain percentage of votes. i think i would go after henderson and dawson before any that are on your list.

do you want to eventually want to collect all HOFer?

if you are thinking that HOFers stuff are not affordable compared to current stars i would suggest you do some cost comparisons.

kingjammy24
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM

i agree with scott harpt. the premium's being made in the hype. "he'll make the hall one day!". yeah and when he does you won't see much of an increase because it's already been built into the assumption that he'll make the hall. after they're in the hall for a few years, they practically become forgotten about and demand dies down because everyone becomes focused on the "next generation" of HOF'ers. folks hang on to potential HOFer items for years thinking the HOF admission is going to add a big premium but by that time, folks have already known for years and built the premium into the item. look at rickey henderson who'll be inducted next year. even 10 yrs ago, was there anyone who seriously thought rickey wasn't going to be a HOFer? it's not like the recent, formal decision to admit him surprised anyone or made prices for his items skyrocket. scott's on the money; you'll pay more for a ryan "maybe he'll possibly make the hall one day" howard bat than for a paul "already made the hall" molitor. there aren't many ballplayers truly doing what hasn't already been done a million times before, save for maybe arod. today's ryan howard is just yesterday's dale murphy.

rudy.

mariner_gamers
12-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Omar Vizquel, Jeff Kent......

metsbats
12-23-2008, 10:25 PM
ryan howard
jose reyes
hanley ramirez
david wright
miguel cabrera

I would but these guys in the too young to tell lets see what they've done at the end of their careers category.

earlywynnfan
12-23-2008, 11:39 PM
If the HOF is your goal, I'd suggest players recently retired who should make the hall, such as Larkin or Robbie Alomar, whose bats go cheap. Heck, you can still get Rickey Henderson gamers cheap, and he'll be in next month.

Don't know if you are a fan of older baseball or anything, but I've found older bats much more affordable and, in a way, more interesting. Look at how many fight over current "star" bats, yet you can get Madlock/Buckner/Parker bats much cheaper.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

marinersbaseballfan21
12-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Let's not forget about EDGAR!!!!

spartakid
12-24-2008, 01:42 AM
this is loose, off the top of my head:

future hof's:

100%:
griffey, jr.
manny ramirez
ichiro
jim thome
frank thomas
jeff kent
ivan rodriguez

80%:
vlad guerrero
gary sheffield
chipper jones
johnny damon (3000 hits..? eventually)
carlos delgado (500 hr's steroid free)

70%:
miguel cabrera

50%:
ryan howard
jose reyes
hanley ramirez
david wright

too young to tell, but young enough to put up the lifetime stats:
jay bruce
evan longoria

-bscott

There's NO WAY Vladdy's not making it to Cooperstown. 1000% :)