PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan authentic autographs?

Falcon
12-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I found a website that has exclusive rights to sell Matt Ryan autographs. What about the autographs sold at nfl auctions? Is it common for players to have "exclusive" deals like this?

Here's the link: http://www.mattryanauthentic.com/

mvandor
12-26-2008, 09:45 AM
They did not claim exclusivity, site looks like a cheesy way for a small card shop to push some items from a private signing.

Falcon
12-26-2008, 06:29 PM
From the sounds of this, it sort of seems like they are claiming they have exclusive rights:

http://mattryanauthentic.com/official-matt-ryan-exclusive-press-release/

So back to my original question, does anyone have any insight on these types of arrangements. I'm assuming the NFL Auctions stuff was all signed before this, so it'd be okay. So if this is true, would they're certificate be the best one to have for any Matt Ryan autographs?

Thanks in advance...

David
12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Athletes often have agents representing them for autographs, including Barry Bonds, Willie Mays and Brett Favre. In cases, they might team up with another company like Tri Star or Shop at Home for marketind purposes. A Cal Ripken autograph can have both the MLB and Ripken holograms, and Ripken exlusive signed bats were sold via Shop at Home.

So, an athlete having an agent representing him for autographs, is not uncommon. These autographs may end up in an NFL or MLB auction.

David
12-26-2008, 06:56 PM
As far as the "best certificate" goes, a hologram and COA from a reliable in person autograph company is good. Steiner, UDA, MLB, Tri Star, etc, all do their autographs in person and with the signer under contract, so their COAs are top notch. The same goes for the player's own company or agent. Which is better, a UDA or a Gary Carter Authentic hologram? They're both good, take your pick.

David
12-26-2008, 07:02 PM
One last point. An autograph with the players hologram is is a safe bet to be authentic, whether its Joe Montana or Barry Bonds. So, if you're concerned about getting an authentic autograph from a favorite player, the presence of his hologram is always a good sign.

Falcon
12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
David: Thanks for your insight. I guess I was sort of confused cause I never heard of that company before. I called them and they said they indeed have exclusive rights to Matt Ryan autographs. Wierd though, all they're selling right now are mini helmets and full size replica helmets. The guy on the phone didn't even know if they had another signing scheduled. I assume it wasn't cheap for them to get the exclusive rights, so to me, it was pretty unusual to only be selling a couple of items.

gannonknight85
12-27-2008, 02:50 PM
I have heard of something like this before in fact it impacted my own autograph experience two years ago. I played football in the same hometown as colt's safety bob sanders at the same time as him, we have met too many times to count and we know each other well enough to go to a club when hes in town, anywho enough name dropping, my cousins wife is a big colts fan and wanted a jersey of hers signed, so she sent me two jerseys one blue and one white retail authentic jerseys with the superbowl patch, one for her and one for me, for getting hers and i went to bob's camp he was doing in town and afterwards was shooting the crap and asked if he would sign a couple jerseys and he told me no problem until i went to the car and got them. He told me he could not sign them because they had the superbowl patch on them and he has an exclusive deal with some company for anything superbowl signed.

mvandor
12-27-2008, 04:35 PM
From the sounds of this, it sort of seems like they are claiming they have exclusive rights:

http://mattryanauthentic.com/official-matt-ryan-exclusive-press-release/

So back to my original question, does anyone have any insight on these types of arrangements. I'm assuming the NFL Auctions stuff was all signed before this, so it'd be okay. So if this is true, would they're certificate be the best one to have for any Matt Ryan autographs?

Thanks in advance...

Sorry missed that.

My initial reaction, if true, is skepticism. Ryan is from Pennsylvania, played in Boston, and is now in Georgia. Why would he give exclusivity to some cheeseball card shop in New York??? Too many big boys to sign with as your signing agent.

I'd investigate further myself. Tom Condon is his agent, you might verify with his office. See http://www.sports.caa.com/ as I believe that's who he's with currently.

Note: I know here in San Diego, LaDainian Tomlinson had a brief exclusive deal with a short lived startup, M&B, which I believe was minority owned which might have been his draw to the owners. But they did next to nothing for him, and he later switched to GTSM I believe as his signing agent, one of the big boys. Even our one year wonder, Antonio Cromartie, is with GTSM.

Ryan strikes me as sharp, I'd be surprised if he'd go exclusive with a nobody.

sonic
12-27-2008, 05:43 PM
The signatures look legitimate. D&A is well known in the sports card world. They are one of the largest internet dealers out there. Additionally, judging from the dates on the website, it looks like they signed Ryan well before he became the hottest rookie in the NFL. I don't find anything unusual about the website or the merchandise.

mvandor
12-27-2008, 09:22 PM
The signatures look legitimate. D&A is well known in the sports card world. They are one of the largest internet dealers out there. Additionally, judging from the dates on the website, it looks like they signed Ryan well before he became the hottest rookie in the NFL. I don't find anything unusual about the website or the merchandise.

I don't know cards from Adam (pun intended) but I can tell you their website grossly exaggerates:

"Dave and Adam’s Card World is a Buffalo based company established in 1991 and is generally regarded as the #1 seller of sports cards, gaming cards, and memorabilia in the world."

As a serious NFL memorabilia collector for years, I've never heard of them. Perhaps they're referring to other sports' memorabilia, because they don't make the radar in the NFL memorabilia dealer biz.

David
12-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I've heard of Dave and Adam's before. Perhaps not a big name like Steiner, but they are a large wholesaler in sportscards.

Falcon
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Good insight everyone. Anyone else find it strange that they would only carry mini helmets and replica helmets? If you were gonna sign someone like Ryan to an exclusive, wouldn't you at least have some Pro line helmets and jerseys signed too?

JackHE
12-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Actually eariler in the season they did have authentic helmets too. Around $350 or so if I remember right.

J

mvandor
12-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Good insight everyone. Anyone else find it strange that they would only carry mini helmets and replica helmets? If you were gonna sign someone like Ryan to an exclusive, wouldn't you at least have some Pro line helmets and jerseys signed too?

See Radtke for a jersey at http://www.radtkesports.com/product_info.php/products_id/2928

Agree it's mismanagement not to have more stock on the market, exactly my point about why you sign with guys like GTSM not card shops.