Can anyone help me determine if this glove is legit GU or not?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluesBroSJ
    • Dec 2008

Can anyone help me determine if this glove is legit GU or not?

Ok, so here is the story. I was given this glove a few years ago and I have always been wondering about how authentic it was, then i discovered this site and figured this would be the best place to ask for help.

The item in question is a David Justice 1990 fielding glove. Below are the photos i have taken of the glove and a scan of the COA that was given to me with the glove. Any expert opinions?

• skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Re: Can anyone help me determine if this glove is legit GU or not?

Another "obtained from team employee story..." Amazing how these employees are never named. How convenient...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• chakes89
      • May 2006

Would you want to be named if you were stealing stuff from the locker rooms and then re-selling it?

I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• skyking26
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by chakes89
        Would you want to be named if you were stealing stuff from the locker rooms and then re-selling it?

My opinion, if a name is not there than how credible is the statement? Not very without a name in my book. If you can't provide a name than don't make the statement...
        ROBERT KOPPEL
        Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• jppopma
          • Mar 2006

I'm no pro on game used gloves, but the name written on the inside in black marker does not appear to be very convincing.

Most game used gloves that I have seen will have embroidery for the name, number, or whatever the player wants on there.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
            • Nov 2005

I know nothing about gloves. However, wasn't Blue Chip one of the top sellers of Braves stuff in the 80s? The name "Justice" seems to have been written on the glove before most of the use. Just a little CSI. Embroidered names on gloves didn't come around to the mid 90s, right? Am I wrong?
            Whatever happened to Vikes66 from the original GUF? Didn't that dude know a grip about gloves? What is Vikes' handle on this forum?
            I would like to know about this glove...

Comment

• cincy13
              • May 2007

I know Paul Kinzer. He was always very good at his connections. I have no doubt that your glove is legit. He use to live in Cincinnati, the Oxford area, and I've always known for his game used equipment to be legit. He and his family moved to the Atlanta, Ga. area back in the 1990s. He had some players live with him and his family back then from the Atlanta Braves. He is now a sports agent. I know some of you guys are tired of hearing that "I have connections with the team", but he really did have some great connections. He use to get alot of Reds and Braves.

Comment

• mariner_gamers
                • May 2008

It appears to be at least a style match to his 1991 Topps card. The photo is from at least 1990 since the card came out before the 1991 season. Since Dave was a rookie in 1990 well you get the picture!
                Attached Files
                Davis Emburey
                demburey@netzero.net
                Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• mariner_gamers
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by mariner_gamers
                  It appears to be at least a style match to his 1991 Topps card. The photo is from at least 1990 since the card came out before the 1991 season. Since Dave was a rookie in 1990 well you get the picture!
                  I jumped on this too soon. Once I blew them up and side-by-sided them they are similiar but different models.

I will look at some more pics and see if I can get closer....
                  Davis Emburey
                  demburey@netzero.net
                  Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• skyking26
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cincy13
                    I know Paul Kinzer. He was always very good at his connections. I have no doubt that your glove is legit. He use to live in Cincinnati, the Oxford area, and I've always known for his game used equipment to be legit. He and his family moved to the Atlanta, Ga. area back in the 1990s. He had some players live with him and his family back then from the Atlanta Braves. He is now a sports agent. I know some of you guys are tired of hearing that "I have connections with the team", but he really did have some great connections. He use to get alot of Reds and Braves.
                    I personally would not think to use the "comes from ML source" or whatever unless I planned on naming it...it just sounds ridiculous otherwise.
                    ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• cincy13
                      • May 2007

Once you name a source, you lose that source. That's the way the game is played. Once a source is disclosed then every tom, dick and harry wants a piece of the action. The ML source doesn't want to be bothered. It's alot more complicated now, but back when Paul sold stuff that's how it was done. When you do enough shows you learn who gets what from where.

Comment

• David
                        • Sep 2024

I just checked and Paul Kinzer has been an agent for, amongst others, Rafael Furcal and K-Rod. So there's no question that he's had inside contact with MLB players.

Comment

• David
                          • Sep 2024

Kinzer has been in the sports news lately. He is Furcal's current agent with the recent Braves-Dodgers contract bruhaha.

Maybe Kinzer was Justice's agent.

Comment

• BluesBroSJ
                            • Dec 2008

Wow, I didn't realize that this post would get such a response. I just wanna say thank you for everybody's opinions on the glove thus far and i look foreward to any glove experts weighing in on the matter. I haven't had much luck in finding many photos from the 90 season with Justice in the outfield. cincy- thats a pretty amazing story about kinzer just for the record

Comment

• stlbats
                              • Nov 2005

I am pretty sure that David Justice used to live in Covington, KY which is just across the bridge from Cincinnatii.

Thanks
                              Jason

Comment

Working...