PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Game Used Memories Let's hear your story

ham1963
12-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Ok, we have only a few hours of 2008 left. So what are your greatest 2008 collecting stories????
Mine was a p/u of a Utah Jazz warm-up worn by one of my favorite University of Louisville Basketball players Darrell Griffith.
John
ham1963

jwasserman
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Picking up a Dwight Gooden game used glove and then getting to meet Doc and have him sign it.

shafrancollectibles.com
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
We made a concerted effort to shift our sports budget more towards game used items this year and were fortunate to handle a dozen or more Yankees '08 jerseys, countless other Yanks items and some great Red Sox items via Steiner Sports. It was also nice to work with several teams who market their items directly and make new relationships during those efforts.

Most importantly, our expansion into the game used area allowed me to personally meet many new collectors and form a few very sincere friendships - at the end of the day, that has been the best part of my 2008 game used memories.

Brad Shafran
brad@shafrancollectibles.com

metsbats
12-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Being able to attend games at Shea Stadium during the final season and picking up items from Mei Gray at the end of the season are one of the best memories of 2008 for me.

godwulf
12-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Back in February, at the Diamondbacks FanFest, talking to Micah Owings and having him sign this bat, which he broke hitting the second of three doubles in a game against Pittsburgh the previous year, in which he also dominated on the mound; a great souvenir from an incredible game, topped off by having it authenticated and inscribed by the player.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8dc31b3127ccec300ef8ffdab00000010O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

bigtruck260
12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
My best was picking up my Gregg Jefferies Cards-era bat.
Happy New Year Jolan.

TNTtoys
12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
In no particular order...

Attending the 2008 National in Chicago... meeting & chatting with several folks from this forum there that I would have only known by forum postings and emails... finding a hidden treasure (1982 Mets road alternate Ron Hodges jersey) in an unlikely place.

Taking part in a "coalition" with 4 other collectors from this website (David, Jessie, Scott and Jason) on a bulk purchase of Mets bats from Robert Edward auction. It was 1 unique experience that was later commented on by the admins here:
"we are thrilled the forum can help collectors in ways we may not have even considered."

Forming friendships with several guys here that extend beyond the hobby.

Tirelessly working towards my collecting goals of:
1 game used bat of every key member of the 1986 Mets
1 single signed inscribed ball of every member of the 1986 Mets
An autograph of every living member of the 1986 Mets on my "Ceremony Worn" Rafael Santana jersey.

allstarsplus
12-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Mine has to be attending the 2008 All Star week in NYC and Yankee Stadium and staying in the team hotel and attending the HR Derby press conference and meeting up with GUF members.

The HR Derby was the best ever with Josh Hamilton. The parties were crazy especially the Derek Jeter Michael Jordan party at Marquee.

The priceless moment was just walking Yankee Stadium for the last season.

This wasn't as much a game used experience as it was just an overall life bucket list experience. :D

Best family experience was my 5 year old son Jake who got to deliver the lineup card at the last night game this year for the Nationals. :D :D :D :D :D

suave1477
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Friendships made here esepcially with TNT - great guy

2008 All Star week - Futures game, Celebrity game, HR Derby, All Star fan fest and All Star game.

Went to a game with my girlfriend and family on my birthday in the last season at Yankees Stadium

Picked up
Yankees 1996 Game Used Fielding glove of Darryl Strawberry
Used During the regular season, playoffs and 1996 World Series
Photmatched it to the World Series

shafrancollectibles.com
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
After reading Andrew's post, I have to add that going to the last game at Yankee Stadium and being allowed to walk on the field before the game was a priceless moment. I spent over an hour with my father walking the perimeter of the field, meeting Joe Girardi, Mike Mussina, Edwar Ramirez and Brett Gardner (and being within an arm's distance of AROD). My father attended his first game at the Stadium in 1951 and you would be hard-pressed to find anyone with more Yankee knowledge than him so it was a thrill to take him to that game and savor every moment of it.

dcrules01
12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Mine was starting my collection of late 70's early 80's Mets gamers from when I started following them.Obtaining Doug Flynns ceremony jersey and his Expos Game used jersey thanks to Nick.Going in on the bats with ( Nick David and Jessie ) and obtaining my Lenny Dykstra game used bat.Im very fortunate to be able to pick there brains at anytime. And just as always being thankful Andrew Lang for as much as he does for members of the hobby.And obtaining Jeromy Burnitzs 2002 9-11 jersey from Swoboda a piece I have had my eye on since I joined the form.

Vintagedeputy
12-31-2008, 04:15 PM
My memories would be that a special few folks here have contributed greatly to my collection. When $$ is tight, these folks went out of their way to allow me to make payments, or hold items until I had the cash. Thank you!

Jim

hiramman
12-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Mine was winning a game-used 2008 Tom Glavine home jersey at the Braves Shirt Off My Back Contest this season.

yanks12025
12-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Mine is almost the same as what shafrancollectibles said. Going to the last game at yankee stadium. My dad took the time to walk the track while i sat in the stands(line was to long). Can't wait till opening day 2009.

skyking26
12-31-2008, 04:57 PM
After 30 years of collecting Dave Kingman, 2008 marked a year when he sold off his artifacts and I was a huge benefactor along with several other board members. I'm sure there will never be another year like this when I could acquire GU in the quantity and magnitude that I did. Unreal...

metsbats
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Mine was starting my collection of late 70's early 80's Mets gamers from when I started following them.Obtaining Doug Flynns ceremony jersey and his Expos Game used jersey thanks to Nick.Going in on the bats with ( Nick David and Jessie ) and obtaining my Lenny Dykstra game used bat.Im very fortunate to be able to pick there brains at anytime. And just as always being thankful Andrew Lang for as much as he does for members of the hobby.And obtaining Jeromy Burnitzs 2002 9-11 jersey from Swoboda a piece I have had my eye on since I joined the form.

The REA auction was left off my post. Thanks for the reminder Scott and Nick. It was truly an enjoyable 2008 experience.

suave1477
12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I would also like to add going to Spring Training game this year 2008, meeting a lot of the Yankees on the team and prospects, Devil Rays and Pirates. Getting to see Billy Crystal take his one at bat in person.
And also while I was there went to a game with Momen.

thomecollector
12-31-2008, 05:34 PM
After 30 years of collecting Dave Kingman, 2008 marked a year when he sold off his artifacts and I was a huge benefactor along with several other board members. I'm sure there will never be another year like this when I could acquire GU in the quantity and magnitude that I did. Unreal...

I would probably would have to save that I also have had a great 2008. I was able to aquire a bunch of awesome Thome items. Which included 2 Negro League Throwback Uniforms,a couple of early bats,etc. I also had a chance to turn an average birthday into one I won't soon forget. I had a chance to pick up a couple of Kingman used items from those coffers as well. But mine weren't not for my enjoyment. I picked up a Kingman worn All Star jersey from the All Star Game in SF. I sent it to a signing Dave did in Iowa. I gave it to Jim Thome on his birthday this past August. I had it personalized to him by Dave. The reaction, and look on his face were priceless. He couldn't thank me enough. I also got a USC glove of his as well. That to went to Jim. I hope that the next year is as promising......

geoff
12-31-2008, 05:55 PM
I would have to say getting some nice Game Used Orioles Items from a member on the Forum.

Second would be at Orioles Fanfest in the Warehouse Sale talking and meeting a few more Forum Members for a while.

hrvatwill
12-31-2008, 06:43 PM
For me it was the story of my father wearing the game used jersey of a football player he taught and for whom he functioned as academic adviser in college to a football game and coincidentally running into that player who was also in attendance with his family, sparking a nice reunion.

I bought the jersey for my dad as a birthday present, the player being Perry Kemp who played at California University of PA in the 1980's and for the Jacksonville Bulls of the USFL and Green Bay Packers. It's funny, he is 73 yrs old and wears it around like a little kid!

My father was going to the concession stand at halftime when he ran into a young man who said excitedly, "Hey, that's my father's jersey!". He then ran and got Perry and the reunion was on, with both sides excitedly swapping memories.

I am absolutely thrilled to have played a role in facilitating that chance meeting and making such a wonderful memory for my dad. Here is a photo of them together at the game (Perry is on the far right).

dirtyla2000
12-31-2008, 06:59 PM
My highlites were a 1970 Don Drysdale Expos coaches jersey and pants!Ron Fairly 1969 Expos jersey and from Rusty Staubs personel collection,1971 jersey and pants! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

frikativ54
12-31-2008, 08:33 PM
The highlight of 2008 for me has been when I found Jeff Bagwell's 2,000th hit game lineup card among Expos blowout stuff. The lineup card was signed by Frank Robinson, and just in case it was something significant, I Googled that particular date. My jaw dropped when I realized that I could own such a piece of Astros history. I bought it and the final four baseballs from Bagwell's 2,000th hit game. Even though the lineup card arrived with bent corners, I found a frame that covers them up, and MLB.com Auctions gave me a discount. To this date, in further transactions with them, they have much improved their customer service, and I have bought stuff from them and it has been packed really well. Here's the Bagwell lineup card:

http://bagwellgameused.com/gloves/

lund6771
12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
great stories out there...Allstarsplus, as a father myself with a young boy and another due in 6 weeks, that must have been an awesome experience!....

slow year for me...picked up a Adrian Peterson purple rookie jersey and a josh hamilton bat

have been, am now, and will be looking for a killer magic johnson jersey...major hole in my collection

Happy and healthy New Years!!!!!

skyking26
12-31-2008, 09:56 PM
I would probably would have to save that I also have had a great 2008. I was able to aquire a bunch of awesome Thome items. Which included 2 Negro League Throwback Uniforms,a couple of early bats,etc. I also had a chance to turn an average birthday into one I won't soon forget. I had a chance to pick up a couple of Kingman used items from those coffers as well. But mine weren't not for my enjoyment. I picked up a Kingman worn All Star jersey from the All Star Game in SF. I sent it to a signing Dave did in Iowa. I gave it to Jim Thome on his birthday this past August. I had it personalized to him by Dave. The reaction, and look on his face were priceless. He couldn't thank me enough. I also got a USC glove of his as well. That to went to Jim. I hope that the next year is as promising......
Very passionate Thome Collector! Also, he goes above and beyond as far as buying items and then turning them over to Thome. Just don't see that by a collector. Hopefully Thome will/does recognize this factor!!!

allstarsplus
12-31-2008, 10:13 PM
great stories out there...Allstarsplus, as a father myself with a young boy and another due in 6 weeks, that must have been an awesome experience!....

Happy and healthy New Years!!!!!

It was an amazing night and I got a bunch of great pictures for the memories of that evening.

Congrats on the upcoming baby!!!

Suggestion to anyone who wants to try a similar experience. What I learned was a lot of these cool experiences are arranged through the community relations dept for your team and see if they can tip you off to where they are auctioning off experiences.

My wife and I were at a Leukemia Lymphoma dinner and they auctioned this off. My high bid was $900 which was great because the money went to charity and my son got an amazing night!

PS - I enjoyed it too!!!!