Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ham1963
    • Apr 2006

2008 Game Used Memories Let's hear your story

Ok, we have only a few hours of 2008 left. So what are your greatest 2008 collecting stories????
    Mine was a p/u of a Utah Jazz warm-up worn by one of my favorite University of Louisville Basketball players Darrell Griffith.
    John
    ham1963
  • jwasserman
    • Feb 2006

Re: 2008 Game Used Memories Let's hear your story

Picking up a Dwight Gooden game used glove and then getting to meet Doc and have him sign it.
    http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...n/game%20used/
    http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/wassermj/Neshek/

Comment

• shafrancollectibles.com
      • Jun 2006

We made a concerted effort to shift our sports budget more towards game used items this year and were fortunate to handle a dozen or more Yankees '08 jerseys, countless other Yanks items and some great Red Sox items via Steiner Sports. It was also nice to work with several teams who market their items directly and make new relationships during those efforts.

Most importantly, our expansion into the game used area allowed me to personally meet many new collectors and form a few very sincere friendships - at the end of the day, that has been the best part of my 2008 game used memories.

Brad Shafran
      brad@shafrancollectibles.com

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

Being able to attend games at Shea Stadium during the final season and picking up items from Mei Gray at the end of the season are one of the best memories of 2008 for me.
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• godwulf
          • Aug 2007

Back in February, at the Diamondbacks FanFest, talking to Micah Owings and having him sign this bat, which he broke hitting the second of three doubles in a game against Pittsburgh the previous year, in which he also dominated on the mound; a great souvenir from an incredible game, topped off by having it authenticated and inscribed by the player.

Jeff
          godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• bigtruck260
            • Sep 2007

My best was picking up my Gregg Jefferies Cards-era bat.
            Happy New Year Jolan.
            Attached Files
            Dave
            Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
            River City Redbird Authentics
            http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• TNTtoys
              • Aug 2006

In no particular order...

Attending the 2008 National in Chicago... meeting & chatting with several folks from this forum there that I would have only known by forum postings and emails... finding a hidden treasure (1982 Mets road alternate Ron Hodges jersey) in an unlikely place.

Taking part in a "coalition" with 4 other collectors from this website (David, Jessie, Scott and Jason) on a bulk purchase of Mets bats from Robert Edward auction. It was 1 unique experience that was later commented on by the admins here:
              "we are thrilled the forum can help collectors in ways we may not have even considered."

Forming friendships with several guys here that extend beyond the hobby.

Tirelessly working towards my collecting goals of:
              1 game used bat of every key member of the 1986 Mets
              1 single signed inscribed ball of every member of the 1986 Mets
              An autograph of every living member of the 1986 Mets on my "Ceremony Worn" Rafael Santana jersey.
              Looking for ...
              Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
              Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
              Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
                • Nov 2005

Mine has to be attending the 2008 All Star week in NYC and Yankee Stadium and staying in the team hotel and attending the HR Derby press conference and meeting up with GUF members.

The HR Derby was the best ever with Josh Hamilton. The parties were crazy especially the Derek Jeter Michael Jordan party at Marquee.

The priceless moment was just walking Yankee Stadium for the last season.

This wasn't as much a game used experience as it was just an overall life bucket list experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	all_star_game_2008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	648405

Name:	all_star_game_2008a.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	648406

Name:	all_star_game_2008b.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	648407

Best family experience was my 5 year old son Jake who got to deliver the lineup card at the last night game this year for the Nationals.

Name:	jake_sep_2008.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	648403

Name:	jake_sep_2008b.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	648404
                Regards,
                Andrew Lang
                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                202-716-8500

Comment

• suave1477
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2006

Friendships made here esepcially with TNT - great guy

2008 All Star week - Futures game, Celebrity game, HR Derby, All Star fan fest and All Star game.

Went to a game with my girlfriend and family on my birthday in the last season at Yankees Stadium

Picked up
                  Yankees 1996 Game Used Fielding glove of Darryl Strawberry
                  Used During the regular season, playoffs and 1996 World Series
                  Photmatched it to the World Series

Comment

• shafrancollectibles.com
                    • Jun 2006

After reading Andrew's post, I have to add that going to the last game at Yankee Stadium and being allowed to walk on the field before the game was a priceless moment. I spent over an hour with my father walking the perimeter of the field, meeting Joe Girardi, Mike Mussina, Edwar Ramirez and Brett Gardner (and being within an arm's distance of AROD). My father attended his first game at the Stadium in 1951 and you would be hard-pressed to find anyone with more Yankee knowledge than him so it was a thrill to take him to that game and savor every moment of it.

Comment

• dcrules01
                      • Nov 2005

Mine was starting my collection of late 70's early 80's Mets gamers from when I started following them.Obtaining Doug Flynns ceremony jersey and his Expos Game used jersey thanks to Nick.Going in on the bats with ( Nick David and Jessie ) and obtaining my Lenny Dykstra game used bat.Im very fortunate to be able to pick there brains at anytime. And just as always being thankful Andrew Lang for as much as he does for members of the hobby.And obtaining Jeromy Burnitzs 2002 9-11 jersey from Swoboda a piece I have had my eye on since I joined the form.
                      Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                        • Oct 2005

My memories would be that a special few folks here have contributed greatly to my collection. When $$ is tight, these folks went out of their way to allow me to make payments, or hold items until I had the cash. Thank you!

Jim

Comment

• hiramman
                          • Feb 2007

Mine was winning a game-used 2008 Tom Glavine home jersey at the Braves Shirt Off My Back Contest this season.
                          Attached Files
                          Always looking for Atlanta Braves Game-Used items. hiramman@bellsouth.net

Comment

• yanks12025
                            • Jan 2006

Mine is almost the same as what shafrancollectibles said. Going to the last game at yankee stadium. My dad took the time to walk the track while i sat in the stands(line was to long). Can't wait till opening day 2009.

Comment

• skyking26
                              • Dec 2005

After 30 years of collecting Dave Kingman, 2008 marked a year when he sold off his artifacts and I was a huge benefactor along with several other board members. I'm sure there will never be another year like this when I could acquire GU in the quantity and magnitude that I did. Unreal...
                              ROBERT KOPPEL
                              Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                              and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...