PDA

View Full Version : 2009 cardinals winter warm up

kj33706
12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
i know albert is gonna be there, has anyone else heard or has anything be released on who else is gonna be there. i know its january 17,18,19. i got my pass. i have game used bats and mlb baseballs i will need to get signed, please keep me posted if you know anything.....................

kj33706
01-07-2009, 06:10 PM
well all the auction items have been listed, thank god for once i don't see anything i will be wanting, i am gonna need a few things autographed, is anyone going down for the early bird this saturday jan.10
email me if you are going down i will be out of town till after its over if anyone could help me out and get me a few tickets of certain people that would be great............... still no list of who is gonna be there yet........
email me if you can get me a couple of tickets for the early bird............
kj33706@yahoo.com

if anyone needs anything form the warm up let me know i will look for what ever you need, and i don't mind helping anyone out............... i i will be there all the days

kj33706
01-08-2009, 05:40 PM
anybody got anything?

bigtruck260
01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey Guys -

I will not be there this year...wife has a baby due any day, so I'm on standby. I was not impressed by the auction offerings...the only bummer is that I will miss seeing a few of you.

D

shoremen44
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Dave,
congrats man...

Birdbats
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Congrats, Dave! Sorry I'll miss you.

The autograph lineup and prices were released yesterday and are available on the team's Web site. Among the things that surprised me:
Albert is still $175, in spite of winning his second MVP. I thought for sure he'd be $200 this year.
Molina is $100. I know Yadi is popular, and I think the world of him, but $100 is ridiculous -- especially when Jack Clark is $10.
Colby Rasmus (never played above AAA) is the same price as LaRussa (lock HOF manager) -- $30.
2008 1st round pick and highly touted 3rd baseman Brett Wallace is free. They could have charged $5 and easily made $2K or more for the charity. Missed opportunity, but good for the fans willing to endure his line.I won't be setting up this year, but I plan to attend all three days. Hope to see you there!

cigarman44
01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I won't be able to make it this year either. I have to restain myself from spending the 600.00 I did at last years WWU!

If anyone going sees an Ankiel helmet or 4th of July/Memorial day hat pick it up for me! :D

Joe

kj33706
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
if i see anything of ankiel its yours no worries, i got screwed for the early bird, my buddy went down early and i really need a troy glaus to get my game used bat signed and he sold out quick, so i will have to find someone going early this saturday to try to get me a glaus ticket, so if anyone know anyone please help out a buddy, other than that i am looking forward to getting a lot of my things signed for my collection, also need a green and a loshe ticket, i should hope i get help from someone.............. remember if any one needs anything, i will be there all three days i will gladly get what i can for anyone who needs anything, just email me at
kj33706@yahoo.com

stlbats
01-13-2009, 11:03 PM
I will be at the WWU this weekend as well. Hope to see some of you guys there.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

kj33706
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
i will be there and i will be lugging a adam kennedy bat saturday, i then will be lugging a mark little and rick ankiel bat on sunday, then on monday i will be lugging around a troy glaus and adam wainwright bat..... trying to get all my game used bats signed and what better place to get them signed is the warm up you get a nice auto and i hope all will sign it game used 08. since they were used in the 08 season......... again if anyone is looking for anything special let me know i don't mind helping anyone out............ just email me at kj33706@yahoo.com

bubbrubb25
01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Congrats, Dave! Sorry I'll miss you.

The autograph lineup and prices were released yesterday and are available on the team's Web site. Among the things that surprised me:

Albert is still $175, in spite of winning his second MVP. I thought for sure he'd be $200 this year.
Molina is $100. I know Yadi is popular, and I think the world of him, but $100 is ridiculous -- especially when Jack Clark is $10.
Colby Rasmus (never played above AAA) is the same price as LaRussa (lock HOF manager) -- $30.
2008 1st round pick and highly touted 3rd baseman Brett Wallace is free. They could have charged $5 and easily made $2K or more for the charity. Missed opportunity, but good for the fans willing to endure his line.I won't be setting up this year, but I plan to attend all three days. Hope to see you there!$175 for an autograph at a fanfest? Jeeze at the Phillies Phestival you pay $10 for admission and you get 5 autograph tickets 4 random tables with 2 at a table and then 1 ticket you can exchange for any table so basically you can get 8 autos or more some tables have 3 and then get howard, utley or rollins if they dont have a photobooth all for $10

Birdbats
01-14-2009, 05:14 PM
$175 for an autograph at a fanfest? Jeeze at the Phillies Phestival you pay $10 for admission and you get 5 autograph tickets 4 random tables with 2 at a table and then 1 ticket you can exchange for any table so basically you can get 8 autos or more some tables have 3 and then get howard, utley or rollins if they dont have a photobooth all for $10

Unlike most fan fests, the Cardinals' Winter Warm Up is a fund-raiser for charity. People know going in that all money raised will be invested back into community/youth programs. For the most part, autographs can be obtained at prices below market value (i.e., if these guys appeared at your local card show). There also are almost 50 free signers (mostly prospects and former players). I rarely hear complaints about autograph prices at the Warm Up. In fact, if this wasn't a charity event, I think the fans around here would still attend and pay the same prices.

Birdbats
01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
i will be there and i will be lugging a adam kennedy bat saturday, i then will be lugging a mark little and rick ankiel bat on sunday, then on monday i will be lugging around a troy glaus and adam wainwright bat..... trying to get all my game used bats signed and what better place to get them signed is the warm up you get a nice auto and i hope all will sign it game used 08. since they were used in the 08 season......... again if anyone is looking for anything special let me know i don't mind helping anyone out............ just email me at kj33706@yahoo.com

Kevin, I might be able to use your help on Saturday with Kennedy. I also need a bat signed and I have three other signatures to get during Kennedy's period.

Also, if you or anyone else can help, I need a couple "line buddies" Monday at 9 a.m. I have three Cal Eldred bats I need signed, but the free autographs are limited to one per person. Since he's the first signer that morning, we should be able to get in and out fairly quickly (and then jump straight into the Glaus line). Please let me know if you can help. Thanks.

chakes89
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Unlike most fan fests, the Cardinals' Winter Warm Up is a fund-raiser for charity. People know going in that all money raised will be invested back into community/youth programs. For the most part, autographs can be obtained at prices below market value (i.e., if these guys appeared at your local card show). There also are almost 50 free signers (mostly prospects and former players). I rarely hear complaints about autograph prices at the Warm Up. In fact, if this wasn't a charity event, I think the fans around here would still attend and pay the same prices.
Redsfest is all for charity as well and they don't charge for any autographs

bubbrubb25
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Right but Phillies Phestival is also for charity, the money goes to ALS.

kj33706
01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
jeff no problem with the cal bats, just get a hold of me i don't mind helping you out one bit email me and i can give you my phone number so we can figuure something out........

kj33706
01-17-2009, 06:14 PM
went to day and they had some neat stuff like bricks that were left over form building the new busch stadium with a very nice brass plate for 25.00 dollars and fsn cards banners that hung from the street post for 40.00........ over all great time and will be back at it on sunday.......

ironmanfan
01-17-2009, 08:46 PM
The Orioles Fan Fest has raised money for charity for years and has never charged for an autograph (other than the admission ticket to get in).

Garistotle
01-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, the Cardinals do charge for autos BUT I assume that means that they raise more than teams that don't charge. Remember, this money goes to local charities.

Being new to STL, I attended my first Cards Winter Warm Up yesterday and was very impressed. Trust me, it blows away the Orioles winter events that I have attended. In addition, I added my first non-Orioles game used jersey to my collection yesterday. I am now the proud owner of a 2008 Skip Schumaker away jersey.

cigarman44
01-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Nice pick up on the Skip jersey and welcome to the Cardinals community! I went to my first one last year and had a blast. Sure I spent 600.00 but it was worth it. Still think they could make it more reasonable so people like me could afford to go back!

What has anyone else picked up this weekend?

Billyu40
01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Does anyone have the link to the items being auctioned tomorrow. I thought I saw a Jim Edmonds home jersey in the silent auction from 12-2, but I cant find the list or a link to it.

cigarman44
01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Just go to stlcardinals.com and there is a WWU auction list

Billyu40
01-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Cigarman, where did you find that photo of Ankiel in the red Springfield jersey? I have that jersey and a COA from Springfield and I have never been able to photomatch it.

Fnazxc0114
01-18-2009, 10:25 PM
any of you guys going to get mike tyson's auto?

cigarman44
01-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Sent you a PM Billy...

Billyu40
01-18-2009, 11:42 PM
You have a PM Cigarman44?

kj33706
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
well i am finally back from the winter warm up. and i had a great time, got all my game used bats signed (troy glaus,mark little,adam wainwright,rick ankiel,adam kennedy) and all 5 players added GAME USED 08 except the little it was from 2000...... and before any one ask yes they were all used in the 2008 season.......... then i had a game used bp jersey from the spring of colby rasmus and he signed it and added GAME USED 08........ got some baseballs signed and overall had a great time, thought the auctions were kinda weak this year, but what do you do..................... also picked up a hammered ray lankford M110 louisville slugger if anyone is intrested i got it and its hammered, gonna sell this one let me know if intrested..........

stlcardsfan
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
The team store had a 50 percent off sale on game used jerseys on Monday. I got a Parisi game used for $38 and my cousin got a Barden oe for $38. I thought about getting a Garcia one also for $38 but money was getting tight and decided against it.

stlgroundskeeper
01-19-2009, 09:38 PM
kj33706-

I think you were in line in front of me for Mark Little. Was your MArk Little bat a half black/half white louisille slugger bat? I was the guy with MArk Little's Memphis Redbirds batting helmet.

Andrew

PK
01-19-2009, 09:52 PM
The team store had a 50 percent off sale on game used jerseys on Monday. I got a Parisi game used for $38 and my cousin got a Barden oe for $38. I thought about getting a Garcia one also for $38 but money was getting tight and decided against it.

50% off and they were $38:eek:

I got an e mail from Pat Daly on a 20% off sale b4 the Warm Up and an 07 or 08 Spring Training Parisi was $150, while Barden 2008 BP was $125 and reg season were $225 and 07 with patches was $275. And those prices are before the 20% discount the team was offering!!!!

cigarman44
01-19-2009, 10:05 PM
50% off and they were $38:eek:

I got an e mail from Pat Daly on a 20% off sale b4 the Warm Up and an 07 or 08 Spring Training Parisi was $150, while Barden 2008 BP was $125 and reg season were $225 and 07 with patches was $275. And those prices are before the 20% discount the team was offering!!!!

LOL, I got the same email. Guess they couldn't move them at the "discounted" price either.

If anyone picked up any Ankiel items let me know! Ive got tax money coming!:D

kj33706
01-19-2009, 11:04 PM
yes that was me in line with the little bat, i wish you would of said something but i understand you probely didn't know who i was....... i was very happy with the way the players were this year, you get a nice auto and a instriction if you ask, not one player i meet was a jerk.......and your money goes to a great charity.................... i hope they suprise alot of people this year, heck even lou brock was standing around alot and letting people get there pic with him and not charging anything...... another great guy............................. can't wait till next year

stlgroundskeeper
01-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I would have said something but I wasn't putting two and two together. I was thinking that I would run into somebody but forgot who was getting what signed so that I could look for someone holding that item.

I got some stuff to add to my collections and even picked up a Stuart Pomeranz game used cool base home jersey. I know nobody else cares about him (which was good since i got the jersey for $38 today). He went to my high school and was one of my good friends. I think its probably the only jersey of his thats not owned by him. He told me about hwo he took most of the jerseys from his locker when he was sent to minor league camp. Later last year he was released from the cardinals.

I was hoping to get the Yadi bat in the live auction but I had already gotten one at the authentics store. I only had $500 until friday so I only bid up to $500 and then it was sold for $600. It was a cool bat, X-bat signature model. I hope one of you all were the guy that bought it and/or it shows up on ebay. If any of yall picked up any yadi items or know of anybody let me know.

Andrew
cardinalbats@yahoo.com

stlcardsfan
01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
I would post pics of the Parisi I got but my cousin has it. It wouldn't fit in my bag so he was holding on to it and when we parted ways we both forgot. I will try to get my cousin to send my some pics of the Parisi I got and the Barden he got. I will post them asap.

PK
01-21-2009, 09:13 PM

OK here is what I found out. I spok with Pat Daly today and he told me that the team store located at the stadium does not sell game worn and that Cardinal Authentics that Pat runs is the only outlet to purchase Cardinal game worn and he had no sale on Monday. The only game worns that the team store might have been selling is through Cardinals Care the non profit arm of the Cards. Pat told me may times in our conversation that Authentics and Cardinals Care are the only 2 outlets to buy from the team.

Dis your jerseys come with an LOA that you bought for $39? If so from who? What tyoe of tagging is on them? I am all for a great deal and I hope you got one in those $39 game worns, but I just wanted to to be aware of what Pat told me today

stlbats
01-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Each year at the Cardinals Winter Warm Up, the team sets up a small "team store" that sells lesser player Game Worn jerseys, hats, jackets, ect.
During the season and normal times other than the WWU, Cardinals Authentics and Cardinal Care is the only place to get game used items. The team store at the stadium does not sell game used items. This is what Pat meant.

Often each year on Monday, this little "team store" will discount some things that they have left. All of the things are indeed authentic game used things.

Thanks
Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

stlcardsfan
01-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for clearing that up stlbats...

Anyway I didn't get a certificate of authenticity for the jersey, I even asked about one. Personally, I dont really care because I am not planning on selling it and I know that the winter warm up sells legit stuff, it just would have been nice to get one.

stlcardsfan
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
And I might sound like a dumba$$ here but who is Pat Daly?:confused:

Birdbats
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Maybe this will help clear up any confusion.

Cardinals Care is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that is separate from the Cardinals. During the season, Cardinals Care auctions items at the stadium during select games (typically Tuesdays and Fridays). At the Winter Warm Up (WWU) in January, they conduct six live auctions and six silent auctions. They also have a temporary "store" at the WWU that sells game-used items and other things. For the most part, "name" player items are auctioned; jerseys at the "store" typically were worn by lesser players, coaches and guys who didn't make the cut after spring training. Some jerseys are issued but not worn, made for regular season use by guys who never got called up. All items auctioned by Cardinals Care come with LOAs; items sold in the temporary WWU store do not come with LOAs, but are authentic just the same. This year at the "store," most jerseys were $75. Special jerseys (TBTC, St. Pat's, those with commemorative patches) were $100-150. Jackets were $100, TBTC pants were $50 and caps were $25. There were no batting helmets or bats this year.

The Cardinals have a retail function called Cardinals Authentics. It sells game-used items at all home games and on the Internet. It also auctions items through the team Web site (as does Cardinals Care). The Authentics store is located in right-center field at the stadium. Pat Daly is the manager of retail operations (and a very nice guy). Cardinals Authentics is a for-profit venture. It gets items used by both "name" players and lesser guys and prices them for the retail/collector market. Cardinals Authentics has a booth at the WWU, giving it an outlet to sell items for three days in January (remember, the actual store location is open during home games only). Their items are priced at retail levels during the WWU. Every GU item sold by Cardinals Authentics comes with a team LOA.

At Busch Stadium, there are two large retail shops both called the "Team Store." These stores do not sell game-used items, instead focusing on typicall ballpark souvenirs. They are operated by a third-party vendor. Before Cardinals Authentics was created (when Busch III was built), the Team Store did sell GU items. That is no longer the case.

Because of this structure, you will see items offered in the collector's market that were purchased from the Cardinals at the WWU, but don't have LOAs. Most of these items, while legit, will not be top-shelf. If anyone offers a Pujols jersey "bought at the WWU" with no LOA, you should ignore them. The biggest name I saw at the Cardinals Care temporary "store" this year was Juan Gonzalez, who tried to make the team last spring. I did see some other big-name jerseys -- including Edmonds and Rolen -- but those were old jerseys that were re-plated and re-numbered. Cardinals Care made them up to be signed and auctioned, but the players were traded before that happened.

As an aside, the WWU is a Cardinals Care event. Technically, it is not put on by the team. None of the money raised from admission sales, vendor booths, autographs or the sale of memorabilia goes to the team. It all goes to the charity. In its 12-plus years, Cardinals Care has donated more than $12 million to local organizations, primarily youth programs. A huge chunk of that money is raised as a result of the Winter Warm Up.

bigtruck260
01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Jeff is always so thorough...:D
I bought a lot of hats at the temp WWU store last year, and there were some name players mixed in...but you had to dig through smelly, sweat stained hats. I think I got Juan Encarnacion, Josh Hancock (RIP), Chris Duncan - and I know my buddy got Edmonds and Taguchi (which he sold for over $100 to a Japanese collector) - so there is some good stuff in the team store for cheap. Hats were only $25.

I didn't go this year (still waiting on my daughter to arrive!) but last year, they had a heavily used Andy Benes jersey with patches...which I thought was pretty impressive for $125.

The store is basically for new collectors and yard-sale looker types (like me)...and the lack of COA is probably because the issued jerseys and the used jerseys are hard to tell apart in some cases. I think they are just protecting themselves from having to explain a lack of use on an eBay secondary purchase.

The only bat for sale last year was a broken FP Santangelo model. :rolleyes:

aaredbirdfan2
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
well i am finally back from the winter warm up. and i had a great time, got all my game used bats signed (troy glaus,mark little,adam wainwright,rick ankiel,adam kennedy) and all 5 players added GAME USED 08 except the little it was from 2000...... and before any one ask yes they were all used in the 2008 season.......... then i had a game used bp jersey from the spring of colby rasmus and he signed it and added GAME USED 08........ got some baseballs signed and overall had a great time, thought the auctions were kinda weak this year, but what do you do..................... also picked up a hammered ray lankford M110 louisville slugger if anyone is intrested i got it and its hammered, gonna sell this one let me know if intrested..........
Still have the Lankford? Please send pic and price. Thanks.
aaredbirdfan@yahoo.com