PDA

View Full Version : Player contracts

Instanton
01-03-2009, 02:22 AM
I recently obtained a player's contract that was recieved from a member, I began to ponder the actual practicality in collecting player contracts. Granted, I purchased the paperwork merely out of curiousity for such (at least I believed) a rare item from any player. Since the contents on these papers is quite sensitive; containing SS numbers, Home addresses and much more. How would one (on the premise that there actually is a market for this) obtain these contracts? Could one purchase them from a franchise, or the player himself? I just cannot see this happening, as once again, the problem of sensitive information on these things arise.

I'm not implying that I wish to begin a hobby in this type of collection, but merely an inquiry based on my curiousity for the possible market on a player's contractual arrangements with a team or corporation?

mfsquirrelmaster
01-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Contracts are very frequent in the different auction houses. I don't think I've ever seen a modern era players contract, maybe it has something to do with personal info like you said.

Instanton
01-03-2009, 03:54 AM
Interesting, I never knew there were "frequent" listings. Than again, I have no interest in collecting them, so it's obvious I am ignorant in that genre. Fascinating nevertheless, instead of your ideal collector that focuses on the entertainment part of the game, these hobbyists direct themselves to the realistic side of it, In which there is no emotion and merely the long and winded semantics of the business.

ironmanfan
01-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I know about 20 years ago or so there was a nice lot of original Baltimore Orioles contracts (mid 1950's era) that were found literally in a "dumpster dive" outside Memorial Stadium.

suave1477
01-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Topps directly auctions off the players baseball contracts on ebay all the time.

ironmanfan
01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Topps directly auctions off the players baseball contracts on ebay all the time.

Those contracts do not contain the sensitive information that the OP was referring to (address, ss #, etc.)

suave1477
01-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Those contracts do not contain the sensitive information that the OP was referring to (address, ss #, etc.)

I know that I was just pointing out to the original poster that there are contracts you can buy if you collect a certain players contracts or team or for just collecting contracts.

joelsabi
01-03-2009, 02:00 PM

you never see the full contract up for sale but the topps extension contracts.

David
01-03-2009, 02:58 PM
For autograph collectors, contracts are one of the most reliable for authentic autographs. The player was required to sign on the dotted line, otherwise he wasn't assured of getting his million dollars. Plus, many collectors like historical official documents as collectibles.

I once had a pile of 1930s-60s player shoe and glove contracts from Goldsmith, etc. The neat thing was the contracts asked the players to provide multiple signatures on back so they could make the faux signature for the glove. Thus, some contracts were signed 10-15 times all over the contract.

Back in the 1930s, the glove company's compensation to a common MLB player was $5 plus a glove and pair of shoes made to their personal specifications.

David
01-03-2009, 03:21 PM
The player contract is not legally valid unless the player himself signs it. As it is in the interest of the team owner, player and player's agent for the contract to be valid, everyone involved is going to make sure signs, not his secretary or butler. The team wants to make sure they get rights to the player, the player wants to make sure he gets his $$. Likely a small crowd-- often including folks and lawyers from both the player's and team's side-- witness the player signing.

The above illustrates why autograph collectors like contracts.

David
01-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Also, someone could get into legal trouble for forging the signature on a contract. If the player's lawyer oversaw and approved such a forgery, he might get disbarred.

I have have seen old time contracts were someone official signed for someone else (ala the Yankees VP signing for the Yankees President, the Presidents listed on the contract). But in such a case, the signing VP added his name and position below and clearly noted that he was signing in official capacity for the missing President. The added line made sure there would be no confusion then or now.